Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: First Rifle For Lad

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    @BRADS got my mate his first deer with an edge.
    Soft to shoot and 300gr berger at 2800+fps is pure goodness.
    Not sure how soft they are suppressed though
    Prob not soft enough for a young fella, well I wouldn't have my boys shooting my one untill they are older

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dougie and oraki like this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

Quote Originally Posted by oraki View Post
    As in all conversations, there's always one who says something inappropriate (338 edge), but you know who to listen to to, and who talks BS. There's been so many offers coming through pm's, I can't get back to you all now, but will work through them all, thanks
    This was said tongue in cheek. I was joking and ment to put smiley in but missed it
    jakewire likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Oraki, Gibo is a good prick really. He just says dumb arsed shit sometimes. Ha ha ha ha
    As above

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiddy View Post
    Prob not soft enough for a young fella, well I wouldn't have my boys shooting my one untill they are older

Yeah I would tend to agree.

What's your price range Oraki?

Yeah I would tend to agree.

What's your price range Oraki?
    I've got Fendt taste with a Belarus budget, short arms and deep pockets.
    So either a sound 2nd hand, or lower priced new. I'm using a Savage Axis 223 and it will outshoot me. The 270 is a BSA something that's seen more than I have. Would love something flash, but when I've only used 2 packets of ammo in the 270 in 25 years, can't justify spending heaps.
    puku, veitnamcam, Nibblet and 1 others like this.

Ejected
    What about the Toby 270 ....
    BRADS and oraki like this.

What about the Toby 270 ....
    Another category safe would be required. With what I could afford to offer, it would only be an insult to this worthy cause.It deserves a much more worthy owner than me. Like someone that had enough time to actually get it out of the safe once and a while. But if my Lotto numbers come up.......... Big thumbs up to all that contributed to this rifle.
    Pengy likes this.

@oraki I haven't read through all of the comments. But have read about 30.
    From the start I am thinking either a 243, 308 or 7-08 in a rifle that fits him well! A 243 maybe on the smaller side, but it will help with shot placement and shooting technique.
    With either of the other two I wouldn't worry a bugger, especially if buying second hand.
    I would suggest against a 270 as they have a bit of recoil compared to the above options.
    There's my 2c

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    oraki likes this.
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

243 is the ideal starter centrefire - light on recoil but plenty of punch to do the job

When I was 16 I got my license pretty smartly, and then got my first full time job over the school holidays where I worked like a trojan for bugger all money but still managed to save up enough to buy my first two guns; A shotgun and a tikka lite 7mm08. Being young and ignorant, I rushed in and bought without doing any research into the rifle or calibre, however, by good chance it has been a pretty good fit for me. If I were to do it all again I probably wouldn't get the same, although I still have both the 7mm08 and the shotgun in the safe, and the tikka is my go to rifle-roughly 15 years later. Can't complain about that for value!

Cheers Jem.
    gadgetman and oraki like this.

Plenty of opinions already nut I'll add my 2c.
    Use a 308 suppressed tikka regularly and don't notice the recoil, played with a 243 and like it but not really up to 400m shots that you could need in thar country. Have had a few shots with a 270 (unsurpassed, old as the hills) kicked like a f):king mule.

Always had a 308 and never had any issues, plenty of ummph and good factory ammunition choices
    oraki likes this.

Just to put my 2c in - I'm a smallish frame, 26yo female with a fair bit of shooting under my belt. I wouldn't say I'm perfect by any means, but I'm pretty comfortable behind a rifle.

Like I said before, I reckon any 6.5-7mm will do the job. However, I disagree with a comment above about how all of those calibres, suppressed, feel the same lightness of a .223.

Oraki to give you a background, I shoot with a .223 and a .260 both suppressed.

Here is me shooting my partner's suppressed .308 after a shitload of dry firing. I think the look on my face summarises that it does not feel like my regular weapons.

https://vimeo.com/187172809

Ps- those who wish to school me on my shooting and tell me how much better than me you supposedly are, you are required to upload your own slow mo video of you shooting before comment.

She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Just to put my 2c in - I'm a smallish frame, 26yo female with a fair bit of shooting under my belt. I wouldn't say I'm perfect by any means, but I'm pretty comfortable behind a rifle.

Like I said before, I reckon any 6.5-7mm will do the job. However, I disagree with a comment above about how all of those calibres, suppressed, feel the same lightness of a .223.

Oraki to give you a background, I shoot with a .223 and a .260 both suppressed.

Here is me shooting my partner's suppressed .308 after a shitload of dry firing. I think the look on my face summarises that it does not feel like my regular weapons.

https://vimeo.com/187172809

Ps- those who wish to school me on my shooting and tell me how much better than me you supposedly are, you are required to upload your own slow mo video of you shooting before comment.

I was thinking faar she hasn't moved and only blinked twice in a minute.....then I realised it was slow mo..

Dougie and Pixie Z like this.

Can't believe it took 4 pages for someone to recommend .243

6.5x55 is a winner, load it soft with 2209 and prohunters (I can supply you load data) and throw a can on it. As he gets older you can ramp up the charge and weight pill

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I have maybe 6kg of 2209 I need to get rid of. Also Lapua 6.5x55 brass. Available at "going to a beginner" price.
    One hell of an offer thanks. I'll have to put a rain check on it though, until I get a rifle in hopefully the correct size. Then I guess I'd have to go over to the darkside and start reloading, or con someone to do it for me. Before I do anything, I'll try and track down some different sizes and get him to send some lead down. Got a few options to work on at this stage. Cheers all