Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Gun shop owner vows to prosecute TV3 reporter

Yet she married him?

"I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Seriously?

This whole thread is ridiculous. SO, so much knicker twisting.

Sensationalist "journalist" doing her job. Picks an emotive subject that is sure to get people interested in the hope of increasing viewership.....shock horror!!!

Calm the fuck down ladies. Who cares!
    Well if you are happy for the Press to dictate government policy all good. It has worked out well for Australia and England.
    Tommy likes this.

Tipple if provoked can be a handful as some have found out .I hope the dopey pricks are well prepared when he comes a huntin for justice after this.
    the specific targetting of GC is a cynical ploy ,though no doubt some firearms retailers will be pleased as punch to see opposition taken down
    BTW who paid for the bloody thing
    surely theres a receipt for the funds -be interesting to know if it was in fact done on a corporate creditcard ie mediaworks /TV3
    interesting also that Inspector Joe Green has so far stayed silent-i presume hes still head of firearms processes for police NHQ
    Last edited by kotuku; 23-10-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    tripple if provoked can be a handfulas some have found out .I hope the dopey pricks are well prepared when he comes a huntin for justice after this.
    BTW who paid for the bloody thing
    surely theres a receipt for the funds -be interesting to know if it was in fact done on a corporate creditcard
    interesting also that inspector joe green has so far stayed silent-i presume hes strill the head of firearms inc at policeNHQ
    Joe Green has gone, not sure if from Police entirely but definitely not in charge of firearms any more. Not sure who's credit card, check the Whaleoil Blog, they have a copy of mail order form, they've blanked out a few of the numbers though. #dirtymedia Mediaworks programme Story breaks multiple laws to illegally obtain an firearm Check out the story, it actually has the most detail of any media article on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Yet she married him?

Yes as he said she is a very astute lady, 43 yrs yes of astutement next year! You cheeky bugger hahahahaha
    gadgetman and steven like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hi,

We're getting in touch with members who have been active in a firearms category on Trade Me recently. Since we contacted many of you yesterday, Police have made a change to how they will manage remote firearms sales.

This means if you're buying a firearm that you don't intend to pick up (i.e. it will be delivered), you will need to provide further information in order for Police to verify your firearms licence and allow you to complete the trade.

Information for sellers

When someone buys your firearm remotely, you will now have to supply the buyer with your:

full name (as it appears on your firearms licence)
    email address
    physical address
    firearms licence number.

Information for buyers

Buyers need to provide all of the above details when they present their firearms licence to Police to be checked. Police will add these details to their form and email the form to the seller themselves to confirm they have sighted the buyer's licence.

Please also make sure your Trade Me listing or purchase number is on the form so the seller can match your form to your sale.

Does this affect face-to-face sales?

This change has no effect on sellers whose firearm is being picked up by the buyer. Your obligation remains the same: to sight the buyer's firearm licence.

Feedback and further information

We realise this is a very hasty change, but this is the new system that Police have implemented this morning. We will continue to work with them on this and make sure it's as robust and user-friendly as possible.

In the meantime if you have any questions about the process, we recommend you contact Police directly for more information.

We have updated our blog post from yesterday to reflect this change and our help page has this information too.

Regards,

The Trade Me Trust & Safety team
    Trust & Safety Blog | Trade Me

It really annoys me that I as a seller have to provide my address to an unknown buyer. It is not a requirement that the seller of a firearm, has their firearms license checked in this process. The point of the mail order form is to verify the purchaser, for the benefit of the seller, to allow compliance with the law.

It is not of any benefit to the purchaser or me that I as a seller am checked...... the police might like to vett sellers, but frankly being compelled to release personal address details to unknown people is dangerous.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    L
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    It really annoys me that I as a seller have to provide my address to an unknown buyer. It is not a requirement that the seller of a firearm, has their firearms license checked in this process. The point of the mail order form is to verify the purchaser, for the benefit of the seller, to allow compliance with the law.

It is not of any benefit to the purchaser or me that I as a seller am checked...... the police might like to vett sellers, but frankly being compelled to release personal address details to unknown people is dangerous.
    It is a very good point that you make Sidney.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Rang the AO about this a couple of weeks ago, he said the buyer must be cosha, because they would have to have a licence to be able to purchase a firearm! Wonder how far up his arse his head is now?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

well i think all public servants politicians and the bloody media "stars" involved should be made to drop daks bend over and have a large eyeball tattooed on each arse cheek.

So if you hear them utter smugly "well IN HINDSIGHT'" you may reply "oh fuckin really drop ya daks ,touch ya toes and show me the proof!"
    betcha they'd love that ..........NOT

An unofficial register of firearms sales? Cunning...

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    That's just it, it shouldnt be this easy, especially as the fix is easy. ie When you go into the AO you also hand him an already postage paid, pre-addressed envelope (with the right address on it) as part of the check, which he then posts for you. Then the seller has a high confidence the transfer is legit.
    As a seller how would I know if a Policeman put it in the mail or whether Joe Bloggs did? I'm pretty sure it will be the same posty an my end and the I dont have a police DNA database to check who licked the envelope shut. Therein lies the proble. As for emailing it from a police station. First time I recieve a form then all I have to do is resend that from a legitimate sounding email address and now I'm a police station too. This is why the local AO insist that I only accept posted / couriered ORIGINAL forms and not scans or faxes. So this method is buggered as well.

I know- just buy local- go to your local pub and buy in person- prices will go up, choice will go down, and he we know how well that system works.

Or buy from a local Gunshop.

Every system in place works when law abiding citizens use it and every system has holes that crims can abuse. Finding one crims cannot take advantage of will be like finding something fool proof. No-one will know how it works and it will still break down when some fool breaks it.
    veitnamcam, mikee, Maca49 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post

You generally have to provide the address anyway so the buyer can send you the form.
    zimmer likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    You generally have to provide the address anyway so the buyer can send you the form.
    Yeh, last week I sold a rifle and gave my work address (mail would arrive a bit quicker) but the police at buyers end wouldn't accept that address as it didn't match my one in the system. Gave them the my home address and they were happy. Buyer sent form and a police signed photocopy of his license and I was happy to send the rifle. System works if everyone's honest. Unfortunately a minority aren't honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gadgetman likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    Yeh, last week I sold a rifle and gave my work address (mail would arrive a bit quicker) but the police at buyers end wouldn't accept that address as it didn't match my one in the system. Gave them the my home address and they were happy. Buyer sent form and a police signed photocopy of his license and I was happy to send the rifle. System works if everyone's honest. Unfortunately a minority aren't honest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In that case I ask which station the buyer is going to and which officer he is speaking to, I then ring the station and ask for that offficer.

I then explain that my AO has advised me NOT to let my addres become public knowledge as he does not want us to become targets. I use a mailing address for the form, then I am happy to give my address to that officer as long as I know it is the officer on the phone (this is why I ring the station landline and not the cellphone of the buyer while he is there)

Yes it is a pain and a hassle. But safety is paramount. I will be having a face to face with my AO next week so I can figure out a safe way to do these license checks in the future as this knee jerk reaction to a jerk reporter is just making it more dangerous. Its poorly thought out and wont work. It will tie up aditional police resources when they are better spent chasing real crime. (Like fraudulent use of a document to illegally obtain a firearm etc)
    madjon_, mikee and kotuku like this.