Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Gun shop recommendations - Christchurch

Carbine
    I have known James for a number of years met his father mother and grandfather and found them to be a straight shooters and I believe he was on the forum as Roaring stag.I too feel compelled to defend him and would hope this was an isolated incedent with an inexperianced employee.If so I hope he finds out and rectifies the matter so it does not happen again.
    Micky Duck, Stocky and dannyb like this.

Rivers to ranges
    Gunworks has gone to money hungry grumpy dealings although not as bad as my local H and F store, never ever again
    Stocky likes this.

RV1
    Wow - fantastic response. Thanks all - that's a lot of good recommendations! I'll add R2R and Gunworks to the list of places to try.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    How long ago was this @Carbine? I am not sure how long James has had it now but I wonder if your experience was with the previous owners.

Cheers
    Phil
    Unlikely, it was called Hammils when Ash owned it, he sold it to James who then re branded it to Rivers to Ranges.
    Wouldn't be the first young rooster to say something dumb to impress a girl, surely won't be the last....again not defending the behavior.
    Phil_H likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by Hornady ELDX View Post
    Rivers to ranges
    Gunworks has gone to money hungry grumpy dealings although not as bad as my local H and F store, never ever again
    Gunworks like everyone else have had to increase prices due to the cost of restocking in the current market, have never found Amanda or Ronelle grumpy to deal with, I imagine they are under a lot of pressure at the moment with a lot of people trying to buy bulk gear when Gunworks have admirably put limits on high demand products to give everyone a fair suck of the sav.
    For reloading gear I've never found anyone cheaper and I'm pretty frugal when it comes to spending $$$ on my hobby with 4 kids and a mortgage to service, I always do my homework before departing with the folding stuff.
    Hey everyone has bad days and I guess these guys are no exception, but you'd have to look long and hard to find Gunworks customers that weren't happy with their experience.

RV1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned View Post
    Without checking, have you tried putting up a WTB on the buy sell swap page on this site?

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
    Hi Ned - I've been reading this forum, and others, for a while to see what advice more experienced members give newbies asking for info. There's a lot of info on here and it's freely given, which is very much appreciated. However, there's also a ton of choice out there - so many brands, models etc! I've been following the buy/sell/swap page closely, however I have no experience to be able to judge that what's on offer is what I need and no experienced old hand that I know/trust to guide me... so the plan is to get a basic Howa/Ruger or similar setup to get me started and go from there. From all I've read I believe that this will be fine to get me going. Once I get some experience shooting and using it in the hills I'll figure out what works for me. Cheers, RV

How long ago was this @Carbine? I am not sure how long James has had it now but I wonder if your experience was with the previous owners.

Cheers
    Phil
    this march before the roar - went out of my way to buy some pants from them and ordered some in no worries support local that isn't camping and clothing(hunting and fishing) so went back
    and got the boots but in the process hearing that cocky bullshit with multiple other customers in the shop aswell never again once is enough time to try out some other less local independent
    retailers, before heading into the kaimanawas for 6 weeks sika hunting for my roar of a lifetime crispis were thin on the ground so wanted to make sure i got a pair otherwise i
    would have blown my shit and let him have both barrels. Ive worked in retail(gunshops) for 3 years in my earlier days and save that shit for when the shops empty if that how you want to carry
    on, not when there potential sales in the shop listening in. Its beyond a basic courtesy / no,no so dont think its an isolated incident to be honest

This surprises me. Definitely not my experience and I am in there at least once or twice a month if not once a week at times.

Cheers
    Phil
    yeah but why would you do that with a frequent flyer in the shop, im just some average joe who he doesn't recognize

i had regular customers that turned into good mates the sort i would make coffees for and chuck a pie in the toaster oven for not because
    they might spend some money but because we enjoyed each others company and they were good buggers and i enjoyed the stories
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    yeah but why would you do that with a frequent flyer in the shop, im just some average joe who he doesn't recognize
    Probably the same reason you'd complain about it on the Internet instead of taking your concerns to the owner....end of the day you'll shop where you like and if one bad experience is enough for you to never go back, then it's likely no store will satisfy you long term....that and it's pretty easy to sling shit from the saftey of a pseudonym on an internet forum
    Your call, and your totally entitled to it. I personally don't care where you shop.
    Last edited by dannyb; 12-08-2021 at 10:43 PM.
    matagouri and Stocky like this.
    #DANNYCENT

Im 90km away from the shop im not going to come back again to talk to the "boss" because its probably his son and nothing will happen why would it who am i woppie doo 1 customer lost .
    This is my experience with r2r sadly i spent 880$ before this experience. Good on you for sticking up for your mate at the shop

Quote Originally Posted by RV1 View Post
    Hi Ned - I've been reading this forum, and others, for a while to see what advice more experienced members give newbies asking for info. There's a lot of info on here and it's freely given, which is very much appreciated. However, there's also a ton of choice out there - so many brands, models etc! I've been following the buy/sell/swap page closely, however I have no experience to be able to judge that what's on offer is what I need and no experienced old hand that I know/trust to guide me... so the plan is to get a basic Howa/Ruger or similar setup to get me started and go from there. From all I've read I believe that this will be fine to get me going. Once I get some experience shooting and using it in the hills I'll figure out what works for me. Cheers, RV
    I recently bought a HOWA and suppressor off gunworks and was more than happy with the service and price.....Amanda is awesome lady to deal with and went out of way to get green stock for me as I didnt want black one... sent it down to local dealer for me ne worries at all.
    Im a 270win fan as have used it for 30 plus years but nearly bought same rifle in 308 as it would have worked well too...243 or 7mm08 would too.
    scopes...I like simple....and reliable ...
    matagouri, Ned, caberslash and 1 others like this.

Probably fair to say we all have good and bad days and all could be more tolerant sometimes.
    I have now sold all my gunworks suppressors and wont ever set foot in the shop again.
    Its horses for courses and we are all different.
    Have purchased 5 rifles of rivers to ranges and all sorys of thermal and scopes over last 8 months,wouldnt go anywhere else now.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RV1 View Post
    That's the way mate because we have no vested interest in selling you something and you can gain 100 times more valuable experiences from the thousands of forum members who have gone down the avenues your looking at or with products what ever the case might be

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Im 90km away from the shop im not going to come back again to talk to the "boss" because its probably his son and nothing will happen why would it who am i woppie doo 1 customer lost .
    This is my experience with r2r sadly i spent 880$ before this experience. Good on you for sticking up for your mate at the shop
    A simple phone call would have been sufficient, no need to drive all the way back. By the way it's not his son and I'm pretty sure when he does find out, which he will now words will be had and that problem will be rectified. James doesn't suffer fools and I'm confident this is not the sort of behavior he would tolerate at all.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    A simple phone call would have been sufficient, no need to drive all the way back. By the way it's not his son and I'm pretty sure when he does find out, which he will now words will be had and that problem will be rectified. James doesn't suffer fools and I'm confident this is not the sort of behavior he would tolerate at all.
    That's the sort of chat i would have in person not over a phone and that sort of behavior in my experience dealing with people anyway is not a one off occurrence its his attitude being displayed, might have be trying to impress the skirt
    fuck knows might have been a once off and might not be.

And any shop what i have that experience i will not shop again, been shopping for 20 years and had poor service but i dont expect the best from the warehouse or countdown. Anyway back to the topic said my piece