Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Gun shop recommendations - Christchurch

RV1
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I recently bought a HOWA and suppressor off gunworks and was more than happy with the service and price.....Amanda is awesome lady to deal with and went out of way to get green stock for me as I didnt want black one... sent it down to local dealer for me ne worries at all.
    Im a 270win fan as have used it for 30 plus years but nearly bought same rifle in 308 as it would have worked well too...243 or 7mm08 would too.
    scopes...I like simple....and reliable ...
    Yep - thanks for that Micky Duck. After all the research and umming and ahing I've come full circle back to a 270 or 308 - I think I'd be happy with either. And as for scopes, I'm also leaning to a bog standard 3-9x40. There's must be a reason why they're so popular...
    Carbine and Micky Duck like this.

This has gone from = gun-shop-recommendations-christchurch- to which Gun Shop would you not recommend and as they are all in the business of supplying what we all want in trying times it might be better to support them all and shop around and think how choice is what we all need to keep our sport going. Any gun shop that fails makes us all worse off. Guncity with their bulk buying helped pull prices down,Gunworks with their suppressors and reloading gear gave us a myriad of options and Richard Wilhelm kept them on their toes.
    Again I say we are spoilt for choice and should be thankful while we have the Government trying to faction us and destroy the way of life we hold dear. [End of sermon]

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I think you'll find your experience is the exception and not the norm, no defense for the young buck that's poor form and likely he was trying to impress the "blondie".
    I only deal with James, he is the owner and I can assure you, he is a stand up guy and I'm sure if given that feedback he would absolutely nip it in the bud and likely also be mortified that any of his staff would 1 behsve in that manner and 2 speak like that in front of a customer.
    If James isn't in store I generally wont buy anything unless it's necessary, but that's my choice.
    I mentioned names for a reason in my recommendations. It's because of this sort of thing.
    Carbine and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Im 90km away from the shop im not going to come back again to talk to the "boss" because its probably his son and nothing will happen why would it who am i woppie doo 1 customer lost .
    This is my experience with r2r sadly i spent 880$ before this experience. Good on you for sticking up for your mate at the shop
    The "boss" is young and his son is like 5...

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    The "boss" is young and his son is like 5...
    notice the probably?

Personally, I go to all of them. Gunworks for components, Gun City for 22 bricks (bought my last rifle off them for a great deal) and I find Shooters Supplies has well stocked shelves of all sorts of nefarious bits and pieces.
    I've been annoyed/felt let down by all of them at some stage.
    I take the smithing to Zach and so far so good in that department.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Carbine, Stocky, Phil_H and 2 others like this.
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    Personally, I go to all of them. Gunworks for components, Gun City for 22 bricks (bought my last rifle off them for a great deal) and I find Shooters Supplies has well stocked shelves of all sorts of nefarious bits and pieces.

Oh, and from time to time I pick up something from Richard Wilhelm... although not too much since reloading Armageddon has started.

Phil_H likes this.
    Ubique.
    Once divided, always conquered.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post

This is how I feel. I've had my issues with all the mentioned but I'd have no where to shop if I stopped going. Ive found individuals in each store that I like to deal with.
    Tedz50, Micky Duck, dannyb and 1 others like this.

Amanda and the team in Gunworks always get my business even though I live in Auckland(unless it is something I cannot ship eg powder)
    Tedz50, Micky Duck, Phil_H and 1 others like this.

And if your in Taranaki or passing thru take time to drop into Magnum Sports in Stratford..
    25 /08 IMP and superdiver like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carbine View Post
    Walked in and bought $650 boots at rivers to ranges Rangiora knew what i wanted and while trying boots on heard a young sales guy bragging to the blondie that works there how he upsold a customer to something more expensive "and Totally unsuitable for what he was after" based on my 20 years experience and then bagged the customer out to the blondie, never again
    There are a couple of sales staff there, particularly one you mention who ruin the experience. I've got a few mates who have had some dreadful experiences there recently.
    Carbine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    There are a couple of sales staff there, particularly one you mention who ruin the experience. I've got a few mates who have had some dreadful experiences there recently.
    be careful the fan boys will jump on you for sharing your experience

Yeah I'm cool with that. Needed to be said.

I appreciate all stores and they all have there ups and downs. There is nothing wrong with mentioning the ups or the downs. But if a retailer gives repeatedly bad service (not talking occasionally) then it deserves to be mentioned. That way the OP will have some knowledge prior to going in there.
    Carbine and RV1 like this.

Or just work it into a road trip down south, and go visit 'Custom Guns' in Invercargill. Great people. Greg's a fountain of knowledge.

Re: CHCH - Phil at H&F Towerjunction (not sure if he's still there) is great to deal with.

Agree with others ,James at rivers to rangers , rangiora