Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Gun shopping

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    @MB have you tried subsonics in the 300BLK?
    The reason I bought the rifle was as a dedicated subsonic setup, but it was a disaster. I don't reload and factory rounds supposedly designed for hunting don't expand at subsonic speeds. Thought I'd bored the forum enough on this topic! Ultimately, it turned out well. Ended up with a neat little bush rifle which is relatively low noise/recoil and very effective with the right supersonic rounds.

Why not go plan a I think it was and go to the stainless 308 version as mentioned.
    Best of both worlds I would have thought...
    You obviously enjoy the platform so why not?
    I am pretty sure you can get 308 subs and then of course a range of super ammos in all shapes and sizes.
    That's 'your' one rifle to rule them all I reckon @MB....
    MB likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

MB
    Kimbers seem to get surprisingly mixed reviews on the accuracy front. A combination of light gun and thin barrels getting hot or just plain bad? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Kimbers seem to get surprisingly mixed reviews on the accuracy front. A combination of light gun and thin barrels getting hot or just plain bad? Thoughts?
    they are quite hard to shoot with how light they are
    Iv been using them for years and have recently got a 7mm08 and the step up in recoil from 243 even Im finding hard to shoot well while Im trying to make every shot count with the current avalibility issues

my 243 will damn near stack bullets, the only actual issues I know of are the 260 ones way back were known to be lemons due to some barrel issue

the only time my barrel gets warm is when Im siting in and I just take my time and dont do strings
    MB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Was a period where the quality of the barrels, especially the .260s, was hit and miss and a few just would not shoot. Sounds like the issue has been resolved but I think the odd dud still turns up.
    My .308win with a 16" barrel shoots very well with Hornady Whitetail ammo and handloads. They will take a bit more discipline to shoot well due to the light weight and thin fast to heat up barrels if you're use to a heavier rifle.
    I also find the very round profile of the stock up front lends itself to in stability on sandbags. But I'm biased I prefer a slightly flatter bottomed fore end.
    MB likes this.

TC Compass in . 308win. These don't look flash but incorpirate a floating bolt head and other very good features. Easily shoot sub moa with rem 150 corelokt.ight and eady to hsndle. Just check all action and scope bade screws before shooting. They retail well under $1000 and imo will shoot better than rifles dluble the price. Take a look at any reviews. They don't seem to be very popular with some retail chains I suspect because the profit prr sale is less than the expensive other offerings.
    MB likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.