Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Hardy Suppressor... THIS or THAT

Love mine. Quieter than DPT but also heavier.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by IngloriousFame View Post
    Any reviews on ssrnz?
    The first handful he made were average but he sorted those people out like a champ-fantastic company to deal with if something goes wrong.

I personally don't have one of his current ones but a mate who has several(and a few by other makers) things the world of them for what it's worth

I'm in the odl camp but if I needs something and didn't want to spent that sort of coin I would be looking a dpt and ssrnz, even though I own more gunworks than everything else put together
    Using Tapatalk

got one of the older ssrnz ones when he did a build for me, had some issues but it was sorted no fuss and has been going really well since. a good mix of weight, size and durability, and dosnt have that "zinggggg" sorta sound when scraped along things like some other single piece tubes ive had do. I also like the removable baffles so you can "tune" how loud vs how long you want it.
    quite keen to try one made from unicorn horn...oops, i mean titanium...to see if the weight diff is really that big a factor

by older i mean same overall but prior to the ? stainless ? anti corrosion inserts on the baffles, which to be honest after a over a thousand rounds are still showing only minor damage

I have both Hardy and DPT suppressors.
    Never had a manufacturing issue with either brand but have had issues with the Hardy when it comes to bush bashing! I use the sticky dots (like teachers used on boards etc) to protect the end of my barrel/suppressor.

Hardy suppressors also have the venting flutes at the end and on 3 occassions I have found broken sticks, sticking out of these. On closer inspection they had penetrated to the point of crossing into the projectile path!. Something to keep in mind.

I've had a Hardy for years and it performed well until I replaced with a shorter more modern DPT, but I would never go back to Mr Hardy for anything. My barrel came back graunched after he fitted the suppressor and he would take no responsibility and didn't seem to care. The rifle was a modern Schultz and Larsen. So that was it. I have 4 DPT suppressors now and am quite happy.

I couldnt speak higher about gunworks service
    dpts are great too
    timattalon likes this.

Some food for thought. Not 100% inclusive of course because the Hardys are missing. The sound suppression data might arise a few eyebrows with respect to comments above.

https://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....est-and-Review
    Sideshow likes this.

I have a gunworks spartan on my 308. Haven't had any others to compare but very happy with it.

Anyone tried a Kaimai Suppressor? Made by Dan Maisey so should be pretty good if not a little heavy?
    Iv'e been thinking about getting one.

- Best customer service, Kiwi made, lightweight, carry your rifle all day but no mag dumps.....DPT
    - For mag dumps, war, pass down to your children, mid weight......ASE Ultra Jet-Z
    - For mag dumps, gotta buy kiwi made, heavy.....MAE
    - Best technology, mid weight and durability.......Oceania Defence

I love my ASE Ultra Jet-Z CQBS-BL as it's a compact so it's lighter but made of steel and indestructible. For it's size it has very good noise attenuation.
    Name:  IMG_5202.JPG
Views: 870
Size:  4.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by winaa View Post
    Anyone tried a Kaimai Suppressor? Made by Dan Maisey so should be pretty good if not a little heavy?
    Iv'e been thinking about getting one.
    A mate put one on this 308 takedown. I did the initial barrel break in and sighting in for him. I was impressed with the unit. A little heavy but seemed to suppress the noise very well, but I wasn't comparing it side by side with any other unit.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

I have just inherited an ASE Jet Z compact with a rifle trade. I am happy to run my MAE on both rifles. Pleased to see that they both score well in that test.
    If someone is interested in the Ultra let me know. It comes with the original box, fitting instructions and a muzzle cap.
    its in 30 cal and is threaded 1/2 x 20 UNF

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    A mate put one on this 308 takedown. I did the initial barrel break in and sighting in for him. I was impressed with the unit. A little heavy but seemed to suppress the noise very well, but I wasn't comparing it side by side with any other unit.
    Dean makes one of the finest gas blocks available so based on those build quality, the suppressors must be nice.

I think you need to distinguish between build quality (execution) and design. They are not necessarily one and the same.

NB The Gen IV hardy's had the 3 forward facing slots in the front. The later Gen V and Gen VI ones don't.
    I have brought 3 hardy's with never a problem, Gen 5 (243) and Gen 5 Stealth (223 & 243) and this year a Gen 6 (358).
    All have been great.
    If people are talking about sound reduction then theRod & Rifle test done in NZ last year should also be considered.
    (Not saying Hardy are cheap but the sound reduction is good)
    https://www.rodandrifle.co.nz/supressor-test.html
    winaa likes this.