Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Has anybody else had accuracy problems with Sako 85 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Think he might mean one of these Cam...Attachment 111737
    That would be greatly more acceptable than an actual vise mounted to an immovable object
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I’d like to see how it shoots with the scope installed in properly fitted optilocks instead of a rail.......there’s plenty of room for error with a rail on a Sako, in fact why use a rail ?? And ffs keep the clowns from GC away from it, I’ve seen scopes and rings installed with battery screwdrivers and the front optilocks installed backwards by them.

I’ve had my share of ‘85’s, none bedded, all tack drivers with developed loads.

B
    Last edited by shift14; 20-05-2019 at 09:41 PM.
    veitnamcam, BRADS and Frodo like this.

Yip. In for a penny, in for a pound.
    Get some of the Optilocks.
    Couple hundy bucks but they simply work.

What are you doing with a rail on it ?
    All the ones I've seen are dodgy. If it fits to the tapered dovetails then you have dicky press fits and it will never be as good as optilocks. If its been drilled and tapped into the action theres also plenty of room for mistakes. A professional gunsmith could get both working but GC may struggle.
    The superslam is not a weird shaped scope and will almost certainly be able to mount well with optilock ringmounts unless you have some non standard neck/shoulder anatomy (does occur).
    In my opinion, the moa guarantee would only apply with sako optilocks, a leupold or better scope > 6x and top of the range factory ammo shot off a standard front sandbag and rear bag, not a mechanical rest. I find that not drinking any coffeee chocolate or tea for 24 hr also helps
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul58 View Post
    ... Gun City tested it in a vice..
    Firing a 308 locked solid in a vice!!!???? Anyone who does this shouldn't be playing with gun repairs. The very least, it's likely to marr the stock and it's placing totally unrealistic stress on the whole bedding system.

Rifles should be tested over proper benchrest gear by a known competent shooter.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 284 Gypsy View Post
    Yip. In for a penny, in for a pound.
    Get some of the Optilocks.
    Couple hundy bucks but they simply work.
    Preferably use the one piece Optilock ringmounts rather than the two piece Optilocks (base and rings). Only reason to use the later is if you have a 56mm objective. Leupold Sako ringmounts are also great and a little lighter than Optilocks. You may need to lap them in though.
    Bagheera and dannyb like this.

This rifle was test fired this morning.
    It shot sub MOA after barrel cleaning (was fouled) - however the scope is no good and had 3-4moa of parallax error at 100m, when set on the 100m setting. This results in the reticle dancing around the target with the smallest movement of your head.
    Parralax had to be dialed back to roughly 50m in order to get rid of the severe parallax error, which resulted in a blurry target - not ideal for shooting groups.

It did shoot sub moa once the dodgy parralax was compensated for, however a high end scope will be mounted and it will be test fired again to confirm the scope is at fault.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 21-05-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post
    It shot sub MOA after barrel cleaning (was fouled) - however the scope is no good and had 3-4moa of parallax error at 100m, when set on the 100m setting. This results in the reticle dancing around the target with the smallest movement of your head.
    Parralax had to be dialed back to roughly 50m in order to get rid of the severe parallax error, which resulted in a blurry target - not ideal for shooting groups.

It did shoot sub moa once the dodgy parralax was compensated for, however a high end scope will be mounted and it will be test fired again to confirm the scope is at fault.
    Once again nothing wrong with the sako..

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Just goes to show incompetent some GC and other retailers staff are.
    Gibo and 6x47 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW View Post

Good on you speaking up for the rifle.

It may be the scope is serviceable yet. I've found discrepancies between the "sharp focus" distance and the "no parallax " distances even on Zeiss and S&B due to my eye being a little shortsighted. The image appears blurry when the scope is focused at infinity but this can be sharpened by adjusting the parallax ring and then the parallax movement when looking off optic centre is noticable. I expect you could get the same thing if you hadn't set the focus (reticle) on the ocular first to infinity and then used the parallax ring to make the target sharp.

For shooting groups I carefully zero the parallax on the target I'm shooting and accept a little fuzziness in the aiming point. For hunting I adjust the parallax ring to close to thexestimated range and if necessary get the target really sharp and accept a little potential parallax error if I dont center my eye well. Just my strategy for dealing with my own eyesight.

Anyway, it would be worth setting up the scope again from scratch before concluding it is faulty.

Thanks for your help. I will try setting the scope up as you suggest and see if this helps. What scope and ammo did you use please, and I assume you left the base and rings already on it???
    TIA

Good outcome, Paul may I ask how many rounds you poked through from new?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul58 View Post
    Thanks for your help. I will try setting the scope up as you suggest and see if this helps. What scope and ammo did you use please, and I assume you left the base and rings already on it???
    TIA
    Yes it was shot with your setup (nice setup BTW. The rings/base are nice), but at 100m the scopes parallax needed to be set around 50 to make it possible to shoot decent groups. (when its set at 100 if you move your head at all you will see the reticle shifting on target).
    Federal Fusion 150gr and Norma 150gr ballistic tip both shot well.
    Practice now would be to definitively confirm that the rifle itself is not the issue by doing a second round of testing with a known-good scope.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 21-05-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Will you do this today?

Also still doesn't completely make sense as I had the same result with a different scope??