Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Head Torch recommendations

Head Torch recommendations

Hi all

My Zebra head torch which looked a bit like this

has just died

I lkie this style because I can sling it around my neck when not in use
    The original had a lot of complicated sub-routines that I don't use so does anyone else here run a similar light that they can recommend?

Chinese knock-offs fine if they work and price not a big deal

Thanks

Check Ali express. Heaps of them.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3283...15920042%21sea
    308 likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Have a look at Piercing the darkness (advertises on here).
    I bought a Silkhunt head torch through him along with batteries and it is a very good head torch, you can buy online but I don't thinking it's any cheaper and getting batteries is a pain in the arse.

He was offline for a few months and I needed another head torch for work so bought a Sorfin one of Aliexpress, it's not a bad light but the Silkhunt is far better. I'd have bought it through piercing the darkness if he was operating, probably not be any more expensive and shipping would be much quicker.
    308, Moa Hunter and Louie like this.

I previously used some Boruit aliexpress lights that were surprisingly good for the price but they did break overtime, either headbands broke/wore out and one light failed completely.
    RV1 likes this.

After reading a review of their bipod a few days ago, I came across this: https://www.mtngear.nz/product/750lm-focusable-headlamp, and with an upgraded batt (https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/NITEC...0-3-6V-3500mAh) the run-time would increase by about 1/3rd, and you'd have a spare. Might be worth a look? At least you'd have somewhere to return it if it didn't perform...
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    bunji likes this.

308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    After reading a review of their bipod a few days ago, I came across this: https://www.mtngear.nz/product/750lm-focusable-headlamp, and with an upgraded batt (https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/NITEC...0-3-6V-3500mAh) the run-time would increase by about 1/3rd, and you'd have a spare. Might be worth a look? At least you'd have somewhere to return it if it didn't perform...
    I bought one of the Mtngear ones and it was bloody good, lost it somewhere on farm. Bought a Fenix HL60R to replace it and whilst it is a good torch I'm beginning to think it has something wrong with it as it eats batteries extremely quickly, 10mins on high and battery is poked, have changed out the factory one for good Samsung ones I run in other torches with no problems and same thing it pokes them really quickly.
    308 likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

My Petzl Myo is doing something similar Ryan, it's about 5yrs old and has done a lot of work, but still bloody annoying!

Good to hear the mtngear one was good while it lasted! Might have to give it a go...
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pope2506 View Post
    I've heard these are awesome as a worklight. Do they come with a red light option?

Name:  Cyclops-Scott-Summers-wallpapers-x-men-37997242-1280-800.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  110.6 KB
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    bunji likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yeah_na_missed View Post
    My Petzl Myo is doing something similar Ryan, it's about 5yrs old and has done a lot of work, but still bloody annoying!

Good to hear the mtngear one was good while it lasted! Might have to give it a go...
    The Fenix I have is only a few months old and has done it from day one, I mainly bought it because it has onboard charging so can just plug the headtorch into a USB and charge it without taking the battery out so it's handy to leave on the boat. Have tried charging batteries in a proper charger and no difference it still eats them.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Nitecore make a solid product. Not overly expensive and I haven’t had one die yet. This is the NZ site but I don’t know how the stock levels are at the moment, can always purchase from clones from aliexpress. I can’t tell the different between my real note core and my clone, identical in every way.

https://www.nitecore.co.nz/HC33

Just brought a Nitecore HC65 v2 from Terry. So far vey impressed.

I’ve got a few. The new P30i is outrageously good for the money. It impresses me every time I turn it on. How do you find bulkyness of the HC65? Never seen one in the flesh.

Banned
    I bought a Nightcore HC65 last year. It is a great light for feeding out, shifting an electric fence etc, which I used it for a lot but I have reservations about trusting it on the hill as it can suddenly fail and crap out. I have had to polish the contacts in the end cap periodically to keep it working. On the hill I always fear it could 'play up' and so carry a spare second headlamp.
    I would like to try a Cyansky HS6R

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I bought a Nightcore HC65 last year. It is a great light for feeding out, shifting an electric fence etc, which I used it for a lot but I have reservations about trusting it on the hill as it can suddenly fail and crap out. I have had to polish the contacts in the end cap periodically to keep it working. On the hill I always fear it could 'play up' and so carry a spare second headlamp.
    I would like to try a Cyansky HS6R
    I bought one off this site and can recommend it. Easy to use and powerful and it has a red night vision option. Night_into_Day was the supplier.
    If you have a garden and a library, you have all you need. Oh, and a dog, and a rifle