Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Head Torch recommendations

If it’s just for walking and not great distance needed the black diamond storm is hard to beat,had mine over 10yrs now and still going strong..$60 on special in Hamilton at the moment too.
    Moa Hunter, Hatz, 30late and 1 others like this.

Thanks all, that mtngear one looks good

I should have said, I like using 18650 rechargeables as it's one less thing to go wrong

The original one was good but it tried doing so many different light routines that I thought I was in a feckin nightclub if I hit the switch wrong
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Andygr View Post
    I bought one off this site and can recommend it. Easy to use and powerful and it has a red night vision option. Night_into_Day was the supplier.
    I bought mine from the same site. I complained several times and was told that I would have to send it back and that it would be sent to the sellers supplier for repair which could take a while. This rankled me because my contract is with the seller alone not their supplier. It is up to the seller to resolve the problem not to defer to their supplier. The seller did tell me that it was most likely an end cap fault as this apparently happens to a small percentage of these headlamps. I like the headlamp for ease of use, it would be excellent as a tradesmans headlamp or for working around machinery but not to be fully trusted hunting.

I rate my maxtoch HO1R headlamp. Not sure if you can get them anymore though. I think they are still on Ali express, but not sure if it’s the same quality unit I bought from nz.
    Ross Nolan and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I bought one of the Mtngear ones and it was bloody good, lost it somewhere on farm. Bought a Fenix HL60R to replace it and whilst it is a good torch I'm beginning to think it has something wrong with it as it eats batteries extremely quickly, 10mins on high and battery is poked, have changed out the factory one for good Samsung ones I run in other torches with no problems and same thing it pokes them really quickly.
    I have an HL55 and it’s excellent.
    Great runtimes using Panasonics.

Tint Shift across the illumination pattern of a torch is a deal-breaker for me. I don't know why but it really bugs me. Apparently some folk don't notice it at all. I would have recommended the Maxtoch HC33 as a replacement for the OP's torch, as it has the same layout as the torch being replaced - with the lens offset at one end, and end switch placement, but the Cree XHP LED in that model has a horrible high intensity blue spot right in the centre of what is otherwise a generally more green wider pattern.

I've got a few different ones. Petzal, Black Diamond etc. While they are handy to keep in glovebox, kitchen drawer and so on but can't say I find them very powerful. However recently got an Olight one from Sarvo and it absolutely shits all over the other ones I have used.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Recently brought one of these, very similar to the Zebra: Fenix HM50R V2 700 Lumen Rechargeable Headlamp - so far so good. Demonstrations and reviews (with a grain of salt) on YouTube.
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/TOL...argeable-LED-H
    https://www.gearshop.co.nz/collectio...eable-headlamp

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Thanks all, that mtngear one looks good

I should have said, I like using 18650 rechargeables as it's one less thing to go wrong

The original one was good but it tried doing so many different light routines that I thought I was in a feckin nightclub if I hit the switch wrong
    Shows that they were designed by someone who has, and will never ever wear them out in the field.
    308 likes this.

+ 1 for Piercing the darkness. Brought a
    Sofirn, very similar to the picture a few years ago. Hasn't missed a beat yet, from memory was about $40

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I’ve got a Nitecore HC65 v2. Bloody good lamp. Great range of brightnesses- very good life on the second lowest brightness, which is more than bright enough for hiking in. But also goes ridiculously bright if required. I carry a spare 18650 battery just in case, but that’s rarely required. Seems to be built bloody strong too. Hell of a lot more comfy than my old Led Lenser H7 with its horrible bulky batt pack on the back of my head.

Banned
    Has anyone used a Cyansky HS6R ?

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I bought mine from the same site. I complained several times and was told that I would have to send it back and that it would be sent to the sellers supplier for repair which could take a while. This rankled me because my contract is with the seller alone not their supplier. It is up to the seller to resolve the problem not to defer to their supplier.
    That's just typical for any store though, they don't carry out the repair. Manufacturers usually have a warranty where any defect within 15 days will be replaced, anything after will be a repair which sometimes is then sent back to China.

Part of the reason I pulled the plug on stocking Nitecore is because I can't repair it myself, I have to send away a customer's unit and I hate not being in complete control of the situation. For Skilhunt and Cyansky, I'd still need to wait until the part arrived though. For my Convoy torches I have all the parts on hand.
    Last edited by Night_Into_Day; 12-07-2022 at 02:37 AM.