Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: How low are low optilocks

Standard 25mm sako optilocks (lows) measure 10mm from the flat part that contacts the receiver to the bottom of the scope.

I think the reason the ring height is specified bottom of base to centreline of tube id that the mount pulls down onto that smooth surface and doesn't actually touch the knurled top of the action. You'd have to add about another 2mm if you wanted to use the knurled surface but its not a working, reference dimension for the sako 75/85 action.

I would not go to a rail if you want an elegant lightweight low scope setup. Your next step is to use the two piece (base and ring) optilocks. They do have 3 ring heights.

I hear that the sako action is case hardened so perhaps in theory the underling metal is not as hard as the surface so you loose some structural strength. Maybe just a rumour. I would also expect that using a rail would make it harder to load rounds into the top of the magazine without dropping the mag out. No problem if all you've ever used before is a Tikka, but you're paying money to have a quality shooter with that top loading feature. The rail is good if you have to mount the scope forward or back (very little adjustment possible with sako dovetail) and if you want to take scope on and off the rifle because good quick detach mounts do return to zero extremely well on a picatinny rail. If you've got a specially short scope and are mounting it a long way back then a rail could be helpful.

Totally agree mate
    Rails are ok if you need them for big scopes, a 3-9x42 shouldn't need that level of elevation increase
    Iv got a set of low optilocks on their way.
    The last thing I want is to lose cheek contact with my stock and have to then fix that issue

This is a point and shoot rig I doubt I'll dial with it, these days 150 would be the longest shot I'll take in a year
    Average seems to be 10-25m

Gone But Not Forgotten
    There's always been confusion regarding Optilock rings. As mentioned the Optilock ringmount (one piece) only comes in one respective height depending whether it's 1" or 30mm. They're the lowest Optilock option and lower and lighter than the lowest two piece base/ring combo. On my Sako 85 .308 a Leupold 3.5-10 x40 objective has plenty of clearance; in fact more clearance than is desirable.

Which one of the two you mentioned are you running @10-Ring

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Which one of the two you mentioned are you running @10-Ring
    Always the Optilock ringmounts. Like the Leupold Sako ringmounts too, although they usually require lapping.

@Bill999 if you are still trying to figure this out - then here you go.
    Name:  IMG_5004.JPG
Views: 197
Size:  1.16 MB

Thanks for that mate. I think they will work like a treat
    iv got a set in transit

at least now on the net when someone googles this it should pop up as an answer

Gone but not forgotten
    Are the Optilock Ringmounts (i.e. the one piece type) still being made? They do not seem to feature on the current Sako web site, and have not done so for some years. Anybody know?

If the rifle is not ultra precious and you intend to keep it, you can file a flat into the top surface of the barrel to let the scope objective seat properly without touching the barrel . I am talking 1 to 2 mm of depth only ,no more! That flat filed surface can be polished and engraved if the rifle was to be used with open sights at a later stage. It is an easy solution for that kind of problem.

Mate maybe for a norinco mate but I'm not fileing a sako barrel to fit the wrong rings
    There needs to be clearance then a bit to allow for for the opposing recoil forces of the scope and barrel

Name:  IMG_3414.JPG
Views: 148
Size:  915.3 KB

Thanks again for the help gentlemen
    madjon_, Bagheera and 10-Ring like this.