Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: How short a barrel is too short for .243?

DPT “ MINI” is smaller and 25mm shorter over barrel. You have to custom order them. Might suit you without chopping more.

Iv never regretted shortening a barrel

it will still do the business at what ever length you go, Iv got 17-18 inch 243s and they loose very little

the round number is 50 fps per inch removed. even if it was 75fps per inch no biggie

it will still be a 243 but your trajectory/energy will be the same at the muzzle as it is now at probably 100-150m
    still likely waay more than a 223

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home
    Mistral likes this.

Ive got a 14.5 308 that is the business in the tight stuff for japoonies. Havent run it through the chronograph yet but intend to find out this weekend. Currently shooting buffalo river 135 sierra hollow points into 3/4 moa on a windy day at the range. Supposedly doing 3000 fps out of what ever test barrel they used on the day. Be interesting to see what they do out of the short barrel.

I wouldnt cut it any shorter, my ideal lenght for a 243 is 22 inches. I bush hunt, some real tight stuff and i dont find it any problem at all at 22.
    Considering its alreally 17 something i leave it alone. Shorter you go, more muzzle blast and under 18 inches each inch off you lose alot more velocity than you think.
    Im sure normlly its around 40-50 fps each inch with a 243 until you get to 18inches then its alot more.
    Even with a suppressor im sure at 14inchs it shorten the life of the suppressor and barrel life.
    Being a 243 man, i think cutting it under 20inches is a crime and i doubt you are "" fit and proper ""to own a 243 hahahah
    Slug and Micky Duck like this.

listen to this man.....he KNOWS 243 and shoots a fair number of animals with it....
    deer243 likes this.

Definitely not "fit & proper". Supposed to be the Wife's rifle.
    deer243 and Micky Duck like this.

Get a dpt magnum suppressor comes back and extra 2 or so inch's

Chop it. It'll still kill shit.
    I can run some quick load numbers if you have a preferred projectile and powder

Exactly. Stop over thinking it. I've got a 14.5" 243.. Used on reds earlier this year. No problems knocking over deer to 200. This is generally extreme range for me and a rare shot. Close up its lovely to shoot. Considering the 222 thread, the 14" 243 is an awesome killer and a lovely shooter. Just remember it doesn't have quite as good a grenade effect as the full speed version. My 308 is 15" and I'd happily use it shorter. Don't worry about the people that have never shot a gun shorter than 16".
    tikka likes this.

Your call but could just get a dpt extended rear baffle to bring the suppressor closer to the stock. Have done plenty of bush bashing in snow damaged manuka etc with 16-20" barrels. Definitely prefer slightly shorter but don't think it is worth mucking with a tackdriver that is already a short. My 16" 308 was more savage even at moderate ranges than his 12.5" 308 as well as other more pleasant to shoot
    Micky Duck likes this.

I would leave it at 17.25in and remove the extra baffle off the DPT which will make for a 20in overall barrel length. That’s still a handy bush rifle with an efficient suppressor. My 243 is 23.75in including the suppressor and I’ve found it ok in the bush (admittedly not tight Manuka), and deadly in a more open environment

I’m sure chopping it to 14in will result in something that’s still adequate out to 200yd but I hate the idea of chopping something overbore that short. Resale may not be that great either
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have not and will never sell a rifle.

They get moved on to friends and family for free, last one went to Toby auction. If I decide to cut it that short then I'm stuck with it.

But I do appreciate the input. I'm pretty set on the experiment, worst case is a rebarrel at some point. Or a bunch of parts on the pay it forward page.
    Dreamer and Micky Duck like this.