Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Howa 1500 vs. Tikka T3

Howa's are a little porky but really solid old school type rifles.

Win mod 70 featherweight, sorry what were the options?
    Wildman, Neckshot and Danny like this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    How does the magazine length compare.
    I know about the "all tikkas have a long action" thing but unless you buy one with, do you still have to muck with the block in the ones designated for short action calibres to seat out.

Also the long action T3's seem to have quite a short long action mag especially for the magnums. Just wondering about the long action Howa's.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    How does the magazine length compare.
    I know about the "all tikkas have a long action" thing but unless you buy one with, do you still have to muck with the block in the ones designated for short action calibres to seat out.

Also the long action T3's seem to have quite a short long action mag especially for the magnums. Just wondering about the long action Howa's.
    Heaps, if i seated my 162 amax loads in my 7mmRM Howa to mag length they would not be in the case.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Cheers Spudattack
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Howa's are a little porky but really solid old school type rifles.
    There is not really a great deal in it with the new Howa's after they were put on a diet about 200g at most.
    JoshC likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yea the light weights are nice

Shot both back to back last weekend. Tikka in .308 and howa in 6.5x55, both in boyds stocks.

Factory trigger is nicer on my howa. Crisp little 2 stage with a shade under 3lbs factory, the tikka was/is closer to 4lb. Still a good trigger though.

Howa is heavier (6.5x55 has a heavier barrel profile than the .308). Both group really well. Tikka drives tacs with handloads.

It was my first outing with the 6.5 and so was mucking around cleaning and learning the gun/trigger ect. Last 3 groups were all inside and inch with el cheapo $30/box S&B ammo and a warm bbl. I have spent bugger all time shooting paper also so have no doubt would group better in a more experinced shooters hands.

Cant go wrong with either, although you will probably get less of a ribbing at the local spot if you turn up with a 7mm-08 howa than a tikka ;p
    JoshC and William like this.

Good to hear. I have read on the interwebs that Howa make the new 6.5's with a short throat - the older ones were meant to be really load picky cuz of a long arse throat. I reckon they are probably one of the best buys on the market, mine came stainless with a hard case, leupold bases a cheap shit scope and cheap shit rings (never hurts to have spares for a .22). 895 at Reloaders.
    csmiffy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Good to hear. I have read on the interwebs that Howa make the new 6.5's with a short throat - the older ones were meant to be really load picky cuz of a long arse throat. I reckon they are probably one of the best buys on the market, mine came stainless with a hard case, leupold bases a cheap shit scope and cheap shit rings (never hurts to have spares for a .22). 895 at Reloaders.
    Feckin bargain compared to the other rifles in the price range.

Hole Puncher

The Classic Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    Howa are nice rifles just a little heavy
    Tikka are nice rifles light and so on but they are all built on long actions
    That sounds just great, the analytic assessmet I’ve been waiting to hear.
    But is this true across the board, true about all of the calibers offered and
    in all of the varieties of grips and frames and whatnot? Is a heavier barrel
    and rifle better at bench shooting, such as at the range, easier to resist
    felt recoil due to inertia? Are frames and accessories as common for one
    brand as the others?

These are all ‘classic’ questions, but because I’m rifle impaired at the present,
    all such discussion falls under the header of Shopping for me. I’m most interested
    in medium distance accuracy, but around Atlanta (hey y’all) there are few wild areas
    with that kind of range, and I think no ranges that have 250 to 600m rifle lanes.
    May some good areas hunters use, leased land and such, in more rural areas of
    Georia or South Carolina, Alabama or Florida. Heck, maybe I’ll meet some nice
    New Zealanders! That’s a bit of a trip though. Meanwhile thanks for the
    informative discussion,

t//s

The plastic Howa stock is unusable off a bipod IMHO

Nothing wrong with either. Howas shoot good as gold just heavy.
    And don't have the gay tikka mag.
    I've had both and still own a 16" howa it's a useful little thrash gun

Nothing like bringing back a thread from 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I looked at the T3 guarantee and it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Basically it was that it was guaranteed with their own house load in their own range.

I've shot a few different makes and they all shot about the same other than my Zastava 223. Mind you I bought that cheap because no one could get any accuracy out of it (4" at 100m) but after suppressing it the Zastava is shooting very small groups indeed.
    @gadgetman Old post but are you a member of the handloaders club in Chch? I think i met you shooting the Zastava