Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Moutere
  • 1 Post By 55six
  • 2 Post By zeropak
  • 1 Post By Moutere
  • 2 Post By Tasbay
  • 2 Post By Tasbay

Thread: Hunting Set Up with Gen 3 NVGs - Queries

Hunting Set Up with Gen 3 NVGs - Queries

Hi Folks

Anyone else on these Forums using (genuine) Gen 3 NVG's in NZ for hunting (not SAR/Military/Law Enforcement) purposes? I have a set of Gen 3 PVS 31s, and have a couple of questions re: tweaking my best set-up for hunting use.

I won't ask where you got your NVGs - I'm just interested to compare some notes.

PM me if easier.

Thanks

Curious as to why the other use applications are not relevant to your particular issue?
    What in particular are you having trouble with? Your query is pretty vague to be honest.
    Savage1 likes this.

I can see my original post was confusing. I simply meant I acquired my NVGs for hunting, not any other purposes.

My issue is the use of IR lighting and laser aiming sights with the NVGs. What are others doing, particularly any professional pest control types on this Forum.

I have both NV (with IR Light) and Thermal Scopes, and am finding the Thermal Scope is better - i.e. travel and sight with NVGs, shoot with the Thermal.

What is working best for others?

Most of our customers find / stalk with thermal scanner and shoot with digital nv, hence the combo packages we sell at night vision nz.
    quentin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    Most of our customers find / stalk with thermal scanner and shoot with digital nv, hence the combo packages we sell at night vision nz.
    Are you getting any smaller attachment units for your "clip on's", find it a pain using half a roll of tape to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelli View Post
    I can see my original post was confusing. I simply meant I acquired my NVGs for hunting, not any other purposes.

My issue is the use of IR lighting and laser aiming sights with the NVGs. What are others doing, particularly any professional pest control types on this Forum.

I have both NV (with IR Light) and Thermal Scopes, and am finding the Thermal Scope is better - i.e. travel and sight with NVGs, shoot with the Thermal.

What is working best for others?
    I've spent a fair bit of time playing around with different combos. The best in my situation is to scan with Thermal and shoot with either a red torch or night vision. In my opinion NV doesn't even come close to the efficiency of thermal for doing the finding. I frequently have times where an animal will show in the thermal but it then takes ages to find them in the NV usually because they are partially hidden by scrub. Although I can't comment on the Gen 3 NV i would find it hard to believe that any NV could beat the efficiency of thermal for doing the actual finding. Then for shooting the advantage of the NV is better definition of the target and because I tend to shoot at longer ranges I can get a higher magnification without much loss of definition with the NV.
    Copelli and 55six like this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

To the OP, take this with a pinch of salt as my experience with goggles is not to do with hunting.
    Goggles for getting round rough country that you’re not familiar with, then a separate hand held thermal scanner for animal detection would be a very effective combination. Take the shot with you’re preferred optic system.
    You’ll notice a big difference with how effective your goggles are vs the amount of celestial light available. Picking your night will go a long way to having to supply any artificial light source to get the best from them.
    Visible moisture in the air also refracts white light really badly with goggles, no idea if infrared does the same?
    I doubt your goggles will compete with a hand held thermal scanner for sighting game or taking a shot with a dedicated night/thermal scope.
    55six likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Are you getting any smaller attachment units for your "clip on's", find it a pain using half a roll of tape to fit.
    We have the 42mm adapter? Need smaller?

Name:  DSCF2104.JPG
Views: 441
Size:  2.97 MB
    Goggles for moving. Scope for shooting.
    Mistral and Copelli like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    We have the 42mm adapter? Need smaller?
    Yes, brought 42mm when I purchased the unit off you, need 38mm for most my scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    Attachment 200375
    Goggles for moving. Scope for shooting.
    Hell of a can you got on the end of that rig

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    Hell of a can you got on the end of that rig
    PVC & Alloy plate, easy to make works very well and costs next to nothing to construct. Its sitting on a 44 Magnum. Built one for a mate and his 44mag, he decided to have a Commercial unit from down south built for him & was a little brassed off when he found out the $600 unit wasn`t near as quiet as the one I had built for him.
    Sh00ter and Copelli like this.