Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: I think we are about to get F******

To each there own, I suppose.
    Everyone has an opinion, that they feel is the right one. If govt can implement and successfuly maintain a tax for 400 or less, I for one will be amazed.
    The news has the govt saying that this tax would be a couple of years away, as it would be " complex "
    Jexla likes this.

I don't have a huge beef with paying GST. The reality of international shopping for me, is that a lot of the things I want, you simply can't just go out and buy in New Zealand. I usually find that certain things that are available here, are poor quality at high cost, or at a price that does not justify the purchase of the item. I don't have a lot of money to spend on my hobbies after the bills are payed, why should I be forced by the govt and outdated business models to pay extortionate amounts for a product that is clearly inferior for the money? This is with regards to international companies having to register with IRD and sort out our tax at their end. It will kill online shopping, which is what local bricks and mortar businesses will want. Welcome back to the 80's New Zealand. Seriously this is capitalism and the free market in it's finest form - the consumer dictating the market. Local business need to embrace it and evolve. Or FOAD for our benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    FOAD??? Ah yes, that would be the blunt way of putting that...

A prime example today, mate blows up a 'little' DC power supply accidentally - let the magic smoke out. Two quotes from the only two suppliers in NZ, $1750 and $1850 rough figures including.

Latest and greatest ex the US, landed in NZ including shipping $NZ390. Why do we by overseas again, I might have forgotten...
    And hopefully 230volt , the right size to run whatever and compliant with nz standards if he needs a tag on it, cause if not it either no tag or the poor bastard that tags it will be liable if it burns something down. I've just been through this exercise with someone else and there were no free lunches
    Last edited by Maca49; 18-03-2015 at 06:13 PM.
    mikee likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

This is one of the beast threads ever

At the end of the day I don't think this is so much about gathering more Tax. There are much easier ways such as house stamp duties, capital gain taxes, overseas investor tax, closing company tax loopholes etc. Its about protecting retailers from competition. Without a doubt any system will either cut off overseas retailers, introduce extra unfair charges (such as inspection/clearance charges) or just make it more complicated etc. Stopping people undervaluing for tax would involve banning private importation.

Sorry to those out there who are doing well and cant understand and why others are struggling. New Zealand is still one of the best places in the world to live but it is slowly becoming a rich mans playground.
    Jexla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    Its about protecting retailers from competition.
    And its probably being considered because of pressure/nagging from retailers and unions.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    When I got married 43 years ago, I had a car worth $1800, no bank account or savings, I was 23 yrs old,
    Should have brought a house freehold!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

My theory is make the most of it while you can. I'm all for buying the same product for cheaper else where, who wouldn't be? Long term it will F#*k new Zealanders either way because if they don't do something about it they will have to put up taxes and god knows what else which will properly cost more than paying a bit off GST on some imported goods.
    I have had lots of mates that all f@*k off overseas to make the big money and tell me how good it is, then they come back with no money and tell me how they had to drive 1 1/2 hours to work and 2 hours to get home un-paid and in there own vehicle, If they worked those unpaid driving hours in NZ they would have been making more money......But while in NZ they didn't want to travel more than halve an hour un-paid?

I'll still be buying overseas for variety and service as with a few exceptions retailers here have not cottoned on to the fact that good customer service is the key (and I work in a service industry).

I'd gladly pay the GST and freight , better than being gouged here especially when the minute the "whatever' breaks being fobbed off with retailers who don't give a shit once they have your money. What was the benefit of buying here again??
    shift14 likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

It's a long way off a rich mans playground in my opinion, remember we need rich people, a country full of poor people would be a bastard without the dole!! I get sick of supporting things with my taxes that I don't believe in but hey the more tax we gather the better off we would be. Google, Apple and multi nationals are the pricks that need to come good and stop raping us of tax.
    Global markets have their downside and we are finally waking up, or at least the govt is as to where money is going, OFF SHORE!
    But don't worry United Nations when they get control will have it sorted ah for F##ksake it's depressing!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I only shop online for variety and ease price is usually a distant third factor, supply house had a tool pouch for $370nzd. It was on Amazon for $75USD, now Im quite happy for everyone to make a bit of meat but thats the NZ distributor taking the piss in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by screamO View Post
    My theory is make the most of it while you can. I'm all for buying the same product for cheaper else where, who wouldn't be? Long term it will F#*k new Zealanders either way because if they don't do something about it they will have to put up taxes and god knows what else which will properly cost more than paying a bit off GST on some imported goods.
    I have had lots of mates that all f@*k off overseas to make the big money and tell me how good it is, then they come back with no money and tell me how they had to drive 1 1/2 hours to work and 2 hours to get home un-paid and in there own vehicle, If they worked those unpaid driving hours in NZ they would have been making more money......But while in NZ they didn't want to travel more than halve an hour un-paid?
    If I was young, I'd get a decent qualification, I'd spend 5 yrs overseas earning the big dosh, my kids have done this, then I'd come back to gods own and settled down here with all its great lifestyle and money in the bank! There is certainly big money to be earnt overseas, but conditions can be challenging!
    screamO likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

The simple facts are if you don't produce something then you are a parasite living off of those who produce.
    A short hundred years ago virtually everyone produced something or fixed something, very few sat on their arse producing nothing.
    nowadays most large company's have huge numbers of staff who produce nothing but rules and get payed very well to do it.

There is a set amount of food/shelter/clothing etc if you aint producing it then the very fact you are alive is increasing the cost of it. which means those producing it have to work harder and more efficiently for less than ever before.
    jakewire, Maca49, 308 and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

If I was young, I'd get a decent qualification, I'd spend 5 yrs overseas earning the big dosh, my kids have done this, then I'd come back to gods own and settled down here with all its great lifestyle and money in the bank! There is certainly big money to be earnt overseas, but conditions can be challenging!
    Agree completely, just had an old appreciate ring to say he's coming back, gone 5 years and coming back to two houses a section and almost enough to build a house on the section, he's one of the lucky ones I know.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I don't have a huge beef with paying GST. Local business need to embrace it and evolve
    My thoughts exactly. As another poster said, it's about protecting retailers, and I think, controlling, greedy middlemen/ importers.

What about the virtual traders on TradeMe, are they next ? Perhaps ban eBay? .ban parallel imports?.. Get real, the days of pulling up the drawbridge and the moat mentality are over.
    I remember the 60's and 70's .... They were dark, controlled times, thank God they're over.

B

Google, Apple and multi nationals are the pricks that need to come good and stop raping us of tax.:
    Not just them mate, our so called iconic NZ companies are experts at onshore tax " minimalisation " in the name of protecting the shareholders " best interests".

B