Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: illuminated reticles

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    theres quite a few scopes out there with them ive had a few myself but never had the need to use them as its either got a flat battery or simply dont need it do people acually use them
    Iv used it usefully on animals in shade where its harder to see reticle. In saying that id never spend the extra $$$ for one because prior to having one I still managed

They make FFP scopes usuable at dawn and dusk - not that I hunt with an FFP scope as first choice . . .

Since getting an illuminated reticle I wouldn't want to go back. Heaps of brightness adjustment in the Swarovski scopes.

VX6 HD and Z6i both are illuminated. I got the Z6i when primarily stalking fallow that typically emerged at very last light. I lost the chance of a shot many times as I couldn’t align the reticle with the deer. Shot tons more deer after getting illuminated glass. The firedot VX6 is great too (but not quite as good, despite being many years newer).

I use illumination even during the day now.

Illuminated dots like the Leupold Firedot and those found in LVPOs (1-4, 1-6 1-8 etc) are excellent for quick shooting on minimum magnification, the VX5/VX6 2-10/2-12 scopes with the Firedot are excellent short range hunting scopes.

Illumination also works excellent on very fine reticles or FFP reticles.
    I have a FFP 2.5-10 scope on a 22 that is un-usable on low magnification in low light or when spot lighting, with illumination on setting 2 or 3 it's excellent on for possum shooting.

F

All my scope in the last 10 years or so have had illuminated reticle really handy in low light or dusk and dawn situations where the reticle disappears in the darkness. All depends on type of hunting you do or how badly you need to drop an animal.

57JL
    I have 1 scope with an illuminated red dot on my 204 Ruger rifle its the bee's knees in fading light and small targets

I have always wondered if I would be able to see the fire dot being partially colour blind common red on green. Never checked one out.
    Does anybody who is colour blind have experience with the firedot?

I find it useful in conjunction with a spotlight it makes the crosshairs more distinct on the target

Same as beetroot and tentman - if using a FFP, get one that is illuminated. I use FFP on all of my rimfires now except my .22LR, and on my .223 and .22-250, all for varmints. Daytime long range - higher magnification and no illumination and the reticle is nicely proportioned. At dusk or night shooting where you crank the magnification back to the minimum - illumination on and bingo, the tinny little FFP reticle is clearly visible and doesn't overpower the sight picture.

On my bigger centre fires, they all have leupold firedots, and the illumination is permanently on. The big advantage of the firedots is that they are motion sensitive so they switch themselves off when not in use. Saves the battery. I wish all illuminated scopes had this feature.
    Bill999 likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Love my VX-R firedot, esp when I had it on my rattle gun cleaning up goats. Now its on my bush piglet 6.5G, great in the thick stuff with low light. Had a VX6 with illuminated TMR but in daylight it wasn't very useful, except the anti cant device that made it flash for LR shooting.