Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Waynesworld
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 1 Post By omark

Thread: Import advice

Import advice

Hey team

Looking at importing a mag and was wondering how it worked exactly.

Do I apply for the permit and have it sent to me?
    How does customs know that I have a permit?
    Do I need to say exactly where it’s being imported from? Or can I apply to import a mag, then try to locate one to import?

Sent and bought plenty of items needing permits from around the country, but never had to import anything from overseas.

Cheers

Well I have had very differing imports. one was straight forward and painless, one was like pulling teeth. Admittedly, it was no fault of our system here in NZ, more just multiple straws on the camels back. The key is to have a seller who is prepared to go the extra mile for you....which is hard because they get nothing for the outlay of additional drama they have to go through.
    Do I apply for the permit and have it sent to me? Just fill out the form (online) and it will get processed and (if approved) will be emailed to you along with all the details ready to forward to whomever needs it. I would locate said item, contact seller and explain what your situation is, apply for a permit, once issued pay for the item and so on. Quite a bit of good faith needs to exist between you and the seller, a deposit paid will prove you are genuine.
    How does customs know that I have a permit? Well, if requested you will already have all the required documentation on hand via your import permit in which you can forward on. I have never had to do this. I think for it to even reach our shores its a given.
    Do I need to say exactly where it’s being imported from? Or can I apply to import a mag, then try to locate one to import? You need to provide all the details, where, when, who, why etc. The more info and transparency you can provide, the easier it will be. You can apply for a permit and then find one I guess. I wouldn't hand over any moolah until I had a permit in case it was rejected....that said, I take the risk and hand over money prior.....99.9% of people can be trusted and are amazing to deal with and I refuse to let the 0.01% fuck it up for me.
    Whilst the system is not ideal and a bit of a clusterfuck, it is (currently) free. It is slow, teeth pulling, stuff but if you follow the procedure its all good.
    The last rifle I imported owes me about twice as what its worth. GST, broker blah blah...but its a honey so I don't care. Next time though, I will book a flight to where ever and bring a heap back with me, lot cheaper and wayyyy more fun. IMHO, if you have a seller that is willing to work with you it will be simple.

Just my 2c from experience.

WW
    7mmwsm and Hermitage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Delphus View Post
    Hey team

Looking at importing a mag and was wondering how it worked exactly.

Do I apply for the permit and have it sent to me?
    How does customs know that I have a permit?
    Do I need to say exactly where it’s being imported from? Or can I apply to import a mag, then try to locate one to import?

Sent and bought plenty of items needing permits from around the country, but never had to import anything from overseas.

Cheers
    I assume you want to import from the USA ( most logical source for a mag ) and I would suggest first contacting any potential supplier asking if they are permitted to supply an overseas buyer. Some items federally, and some by state laws, are illegal to sell overseas but if a supplier can sell to you the next issue is whether they have the necessary export license allowing them to ship overseas. It can get complicated dealing with the USA and other countries I don't know about. However, if the supplier can sell to you but cannot ship due to lacking an export license you might be able to ship through someone like Reloading International in Oregon. They have an export license and will happily quote you to process and ship. I've dealt with these guys and rate them highly.
    Being a firearm component you will need to apply for a NZ Police Import Permit. The form to apply on is https://www.firearmssafetyauthority.govt.nz/sites/default/files/2022-11/frm67b-application-for-a-permit-to-import.pdf
    Make sure the second page is signed then forward to the email address given. Usually it take some days for your application to be acknowledged at which time, usually, you are advised the application is under consideration. Then a few weeks later you either get an email with permits ( one for NZ Customs, one for the overseas supplier ) or advice refusing the permit. The permit has a one years expiry date. Send the appropriate copy to the overseas shipper who should include a copy with documents sent with your item. Ensure they also include a copy of your invoice with the sent item as NZ Customs may decide to check this.
    The NZ Police Import Permit application asks you to state where you are importing from. I don't know if NZ currently black lists any countries but they might not be too impressed if you put Iran for example.
    So that's basically the process. It's a little difficult but once you have the Police Import Permit you're all good to go.
    Of course a way around all the bother and fuss is if you're planning on going overseas take your copy of the Police Import Permit with you, just buy the item in the country of supply and bring it back with you. So long as it's not illegal you should get through NZ Customs just fine with your invoice as proof of value.
    Hermitage likes this.

Last one I did was really easy, except the shipper ran into a slight issue. No carrier was exporting goods from that part of the US to NZ period. Bloody Covid... I just couldn't get around that at that time, and the seller was more than keen to export but for some reason where they were based they had to ship directly out for foreign sales and not deliver to a local person for further on shipping. A documentation requirement - I think due in part to the numbers of 'Youpost' type sales and ITAR type restrictions.

Still haven't done anything more with that... Last I checked that seller no longer stocked those bits too.

How are the US treating export permits now? In particular for gun stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEARONZ View Post
    Brownells are no problem
    SPEARONZ likes this.

Waiting 6 months for a mail order in NZ, good luck my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by SPEARONZ View Post
    I don't know about gun stocks. If the supplier or an agent of the supplier has an export license they should be able to issue or obtain an export permit fairly promptly. If an export permit needs to be applied for from the appropriate government department it may take a while. I say this only on the basis of having a USA agent applying to F&W on my behalf for a permit to export a hunting trophy for which a Cites Permit is needed. I'm told it will take 3 to 6 months.

Cheers,

Contacted stockys but they won’t export to NZ. Was going to get (distant) family in the US to take delivery of one and forward it to me here but not if it’s a complicated process.

Will check if brownells have any carbon stocks for Howa long actions.