Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Importing Magazines from Brownells

What is the handguard for?

an ar15

Go see your arms officer for an import permit now because you're going to get a letter from customs inside the next 2 weeks or so asking for it. Specify that it's for an "A category" rifle.
    PerazziSC3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    an ar15
    They will be looking for a permit for the handguard (its its A cat they will still ask) You local AO might be able to help with a permit even though technically its not required for an A cat Customs like paperwork to cover their butt
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Go see your arms officer for an import permit now because you're going to get a letter from customs inside the next 2 weeks or so asking for it. Specify that it's for an "A category" rifle.
    What he said too
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

thanks guys will do it tomorrow

Do i need to put the rifle dies on it since they are in the same parcel or just the handguard??

If it's for an A cat rifle, all customs need is an email from your AO to confirm this. Faster than posting a permit.

Sent from my XT535

just a question, all this fuss about exporting magazines out of the states has anyone looked at getting them from Israel as they make there own and use tavors which take em ? i'm sure they wouldn't have such harsh export permit requirements

E-LANDER MAGS | The E has Landed

Elander only sells to dealers. If you order under $100 worth, there is no fuss about getting mags from the states. You can buy elander mags from Brownells.

Sent from my XT535

I've just check online at Brownells and it seems MAGPAL Pmag's are back on the menu. Looks like they have taken off the international Restrictions. sounds like a WooHoo coming.

Bit of a dig for this thread.

Emailed arms officer about getting some mags in, exchange went something like this...

Hi there,

I'm looking to import 5 30rnd AR15 magazines and a standard AR15 pistol grip from America (I have my 'E' endorsement obviously haha). I am of the understanding that I need an import permit to satisfy customs? How do I go about applying for one of those? I'm very much new to these things

Many thanks,

AzumitH
    And the reply...

Hi AzumitH,

You will need to fill in this application form and give it to me, then I send that to Wellington.

Could take a few weeks.

Don’t order anything until you get the Import Permit - if it turns up in NZ and you don’t have the permit, the goodies will be confiscated by Customs and you wont get them back.

You will have to provide very good reasons why you want to import any articles which are currently available in NZ. Cost is not a suitable reason.

One thing that you can do to assist your application is to offer 'hand-ins' of old/other MSSA high capacity magazines. Please - no Steyr mags from the Army!

Cheers,

Mr Arms Officer Man
    Does this seem right? Hand ins for magazines, along with a havard-grade essay on why I want to import? Considering #yolo'ing it and filling out the form and handing it in as is anyways. Is there information worth pointing him towards? Expecting me to hand in MSSA magazines to buy MSSA magazines strikes me as a bit "plant a potato, get a potato" except I don't have any potatoes, and if I did I would have been breaking the law.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    They will be looking for a permit for the handguard (its its A cat they will still ask) You local AO might be able to help with a permit even though technically its not required for an A cat Customs like paperwork to cover their butt
    Customs dont know or understand firearms (so says my AO). So technically/legally if its for a bolt action you dont need an import permit unless maybe its the receiver and a bolt. For semi-autos Customs get very nervous, get it wrong and its the re-employment line, hence anything they are not sure of will be stopped. Make your life easy, anything that is covered under an A/E specifics get a permit or at least run it buy the AO so if you walk in looking sheepish as Customs stopped it he wouldnt get too annoyed.

I just asked for a permit to import a bayonet, I rang him up and he was more than happy to oblige as I had a good enough reason.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    Bit of a dig for this thread.

Emailed arms officer about getting some mags in, exchange went something like this...

And the reply...

Does this seem right? Hand ins for magazines, along with a havard-grade essay on why I want to import? Considering #yolo'ing it and filling out the form and handing it in as is anyways. Is there information worth pointing him towards? Expecting me to hand in MSSA magazines to buy MSSA magazines strikes me as a bit "plant a potato, get a potato" except I don't have any potatoes, and if I did I would have been breaking the law.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Yes that is for the dreaded "E" cat mags, but as you can buy these particular potatoes here , thats the issue. Authorities don't care about the price of them.

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    Considering #yolo'ing it and filling out the form and handing it in as is anyways.
    Just fill it out and hand it in. I've got 19 mags worth of permits (30s and 40s) and I only ever wrote "Mags for standard division 3 gun AR15", or "Mags for open division 3 gun AR15" in the reason section on the permit.

so reading through this all is a tad confusing .... I just want more mags for my pistol they are 10 round capacity only .... they are sold out in NZ they are only .22 .... they are only $30 usa each .... can I buy without an import ... or do I NEED a import permit ... its for a restricted weapon so , does mean yes I do need a permit for pistol mags ?
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)