Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree304Likes

Thread: Insight / Discussion RE magnum calibres for mountain rifle

Quote Originally Posted by blake View Post
    6.5 Creedmore, 16inch tube with DPT can. Red hind at 300yards,bang flop.No worries about hitting power from short range to 400yards. My go to set up.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
    Seems the only inaccurate thing about Creedmoor is its spelling. Still waiting to see a Creedmore with a Leopold

Just stirring the pot, fellas, like .257 Wby with his caliber/cartridge weekend boredom.
    257weatherby, hotsoup and takbok like this.

Howdy man, i literally just did the opposite to You.

i currently use a kimber montana in 7mm08 as my mtn rifle............. out to say 400m max, prefer under 350m on Sambar game...
    i used a 270 in NZ (an my younger days) and loved how Flat it was, hits hard enough for 400m with an Accubond etc.....

I did however just purchase a Rem 700 26 inch 7mm rem mag an a dial scope, for particularly over 300meters and touching 500m on a 'perfect' day down the track......... lots of paper punching before then i will admit.

if i were sensible fella, i would of bought a kimber montana 270 winchester............ they are literally a magnum without the label... not the wsm just the win.

i couldnt justify a 270 with the 708 and a 30-06, but truth is i shouldnt of justified a 7rem mag with a 30-06 which i shoulda altered to shoot longer an put a new scope on it .. but that would not have been as frusterating or enjoyable at the same time now

Bill999, hotsoup and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    I just bought a .270 (CDL SF) to fill the non-existent gap between my .284 Win and 7 RM. never had a 6.5, but feeling the drive to get one now. Fancy a .260 Rem or 6.5x47 Lapua.

Anyone want to buy my .270? LoL.
    hahaha you are badddd!!! 284 / 7rm gap.... yerrrr right lol! gap between bolt hand and bolt face??? ha ha

I always remind myself when overthinking calibers and scope / rifle setups just how many hundreds of thousands NZ game animals were shot with a humble old open sighted .303.....that photo of the Thar is a cracker....hope you let us know what rifle you end up with and post some more photos !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Not much wrong with a 30-06 springfield with a 165 grain. 180 grain @ 2700 will outperform most with energy delivery at medium to long range. Accurate as all getout in a good rifle.
    But on light deer those slow heavys just punch a hole and the deer run. Shot three Reh (roe) with a 3006 and they all ran on good chest hits with 180's. Had it been 110grs and they would have dropped.
    Number crunching calibre challenges are all good and well, but velocity or big bullet diameter wins for quick kills. I dont like or agree with this 0 - 500 stuff. 500 is a long way on reds and should be the realm of 300 wsm 7mm Mag type cartridges. 300 is a long way most times. shooting animals with low powered calibres at 500 is asking for lost meat and disappointment as an instant kill is unlikely.
    257weatherby and takbok like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    Stop tempting me! But yeah I’ve been thinking the same lately...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You've already got a Kimber...just need to get it back from where its hiding
    Dreamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    But on light deer those slow heavys just punch a hole and the deer run. Shot three Reh (roe) with a 3006 and they all ran on good chest hits with 180's. Had it been 110grs and they would have dropped.
    Number crunching calibre challenges are all good and well, but velocity or big bullet diameter wins for quick kills. I dont like or agree with this 0 - 500 stuff. 500 is a long way on reds and should be the realm of 300 wsm 7mm Mag type cartridges. 300 is a long way most times. shooting animals with low powered calibres at 500 is asking for lost meat and disappointment as an instant kill is unlikely.
    A well respected guide i know was using a standard 243 for all of his wilderness tahr hunts. He's (his clients) shot in excess of 50 mature bull tahr with that 243, longest shot was 370 from memory. Think the most important part is correct shot placement

What's a 30 06 ??
    257weatherby and Moa Hunter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    You've already got a Kimber...just need to get it back from where its hiding
    It’s currently in the lathe getting chambered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill999 and Mathias like this.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    A well respected guide i know was using a standard 243 for all of his wilderness tahr hunts. He's (his clients) shot in excess of 50 mature bull tahr with that 243, longest shot was 370 from memory. Think the most important part is correct shot placement
    I always ended up lending my 7RM to my hunting buddy and using my 243
    tahr are pretty tough but 243 works fine
    Gimp was doing some way out there stuff with a 243 when I first joined the forum with the NZ made targex projectiles from Bryn
    even with all that id still rather a 260 or 6.5CM for this type of use
    hotsoup and ZQLewis like this.

Name:  119656162_3911512032213515_1564588950677498798_o.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  701.0 KB

YeH . My 30-06 spits out 155grainers at over 2950fps and 1/2 moa accuracy way over 500 yards, if Iwant to use "little" bullets; but the SGK 180's are very good as the range gets out there. Why the heck would anyone use one on little roe deer beats me.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    YeH . My 30-06 spits out 155grainers at over 2950fps and 1/2 moa accuracy way over 500 yards, if Iwant to use "little" bullets; but the SGK 180's are very good as the range gets out there. Why the heck would anyone use one on little roe deer beats me.
    Because thats what I was given to hunt with, I was hardly going to say ' no I refuse to hunt with a 3006' now was I. Horst loved shooting Boars over bait at night hence the 06
    Micky Duck likes this.

Fair enough.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

if you had smacked that 180 through shoulder bones on the roe.........minimal damage as stuff all expansion but wouldve anchored them...do agree much better options out there projectile wise...we have shot wallabies with 180s before without issues LOL.
    Moa Hunter likes this.