Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: kids rifles

Yeah my thoughts were to let her at least try the aperture/peep sights.... Then graduate to scope once she's competent with the peep, or if she struggles too much....... Want her to learn properly and with a touch of luck she'll do OK.... I learnt with open sights v and post on both a 22 and a 303.... Shot first Bambi with open sights and used to shoot bunnies on the run in the spotlight with v andpost

By the way ... Are you going to get yourself a matching HiViz pink vest for your coaching / Range Officer duties?
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.

Quote Originally Posted by ZG47 View Post
    By the way ... Are you going to get yourself a matching HiViz pink vest for your coaching / Range Officer duties?
    ahhhhh that's a big fat negative ZG47 ..... She however already has the pink camo microfleece t shirt and long sleeve t......hard job getting them to the wash when they get grubby....... hoping the boy might show an interest once the girl gives it a crack..... time will tell but he seems more interested in playing minecraft on his tablet and building interesting creations with lego
    GUNS DON"T KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE with PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS
    NEGLECTED by the HEALTH SYSTEM
    KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinehunter0 View Post
    ahhhhh that's a big fat negative ZG47 ..... She however already has the pink camo microfleece t shirt and long sleeve t......hard job getting them to the wash when they get grubby....... hoping the boy might show an interest once the girl gives it a crack..... time will tell but he seems more interested in playing minecraft on his tablet and building interesting creations with lego
    Just remember, it is easier to teach a girl pretty much anything, 99% of the time; and ... they trash a lot less of your gear whilst learning the ropes. They are also, in my experience, more inclined to pay their way, i.e. pay for their own kit/consumables via holiday or after school jobs than boys, especially during the teenage horror story years.

um yeah nah don't think so ZG47.........my 15 year old knows everyfuckingthing, maybe shes the exception but fuckin hell she does my head in on days ending in Y
    GUNS DON"T KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE with PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS
    NEGLECTED by the HEALTH SYSTEM
    KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

northdude
    . I suggest that you ignore the advice of those who do not know how to use peep sights

I know how to use peep sights use to use them in full bore target shooting in aussie on an omark a very long time ago and from experience from actually owning a rascal its a real piss off trying to teach a young inexperienced shooter with a poorly desighned peep that constantly comes loose and if your not carefull falls off

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    . I suggest that you ignore the advice of those who do not know how to use peep sights

I know how to use peep sights use to use them in full bore target shooting in aussie on an omark a very long time ago and from experience from actually owning a rascal its a real piss off trying to teach a young inexperienced shooter with a poorly desighned peep that constantly comes loose and if your not carefull falls off
    northdude

Fair enough. I have had to use blue loctite (Nutlock) or equivalent product, on several items that theoretically should not have needed it.

If it keeps coming loose then surely its a design fault or similar.... When you sell a product in this country it has to be fit for its intended purpose for a period of at least 3 months under the consumer guarantees act, so surely then if it's not staying tight and is becoming loose it not only is not fit for purpose but actually becomes quite dangerous in the context that you no longer can be sure where the rifle is shooting. It matters not if the product is new or secondhand. I think the seller is responsible for correcting the problem unless under manufacturers warranty. The only way around this is to sell "as is" .....pretty sure that is how it is.... Correct me if I'm wrong..... So if I have issues with the peep sights they will hear from me.... Lol

northdude
    Its not a target rifle so I didn't expect target grade sights it vibrates loose from use as its designed to be tightend by fingers might star a shit fight here but my opinion on some of the American stuff is it will do the job but there's plenty of room for improvement and they seem more about selling accessories to make it how it should be in the first place
    ZG47 likes this.

Sorry only to in trade sellers

Must be fit for purpose .....if its coming loose then it's not fit for the purpose intended...

Perhaps a sprung washer may help... Dunno if you can fit one or not

northdude
    Yea I know the CGA I got a rascall when they first came out they may have improved the rear sight now and I put a scope on it anyway so it didn't bother me I was just letting you know a possible problem to keep an eye on in case you take it for a walk and the sight drops off without you realising it

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Yea I know the CGA I got a rascall when they first came out they may have improved the rear sight now and I put a scope on it anyway so it didn't bother me I was just letting you know a possible problem to keep an eye on in case you take it for a walk and the sight drops off without you realising it
    My kids and I have put through 250 rounds since sighting their Rascal in. The sights have not moved at all, there is a small indent that can be lined up so you can see if they have moved at all. Goes without saying that if you periodically check the alignment then you should not end up in a situation where your sights are loose causing an issue. I am looking at putting a few more "lines" on the elevation so that I can have a correct zero for 25, 50 and 100, rater than applying aim off for the young fellas.

Yes it the elevation knob is hand adjustable, but there is nothing stopping you cranking it up slightly with the help of a tool.
    ZG47 likes this.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Roll on Tuesday I say......then I'll have to do a bit of bore sighting with an itsy bitsy shooting stick