Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: Kiwis support stricter controls on gun owners

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Extract from the latest COLFO Newsletter -

"A recent poll commissioned by TVNZ indicated that 83% of New Zealanders favour tougher gun laws. Of course they did not specify what “Tougher gun laws” actually mean and we doubt whether many of those questioned know either let alone what laws apply to licensed firearm owners now.

However what this poll shows is that the New Zealand public at large has been persuaded by sensational and often biased media reporting that our firearms laws are lax. Invariably the media publish statements made by those opposed to firearm ownership but steadfastly refuse to publish counter arguments.

What we all need to do is counter this adverse perception at every opportunity. Explain that our current laws are effective and law abiding firearm owners are not the problem; that invariably gun crimes are committed by unlicensed individuals who show no regard for any laws; that tougher gun laws will most certainly divert police resources away from combating real criminal activity and have them focusing new restrictions on law abiding people.

This is how YOU can get the message out: talk to your MP and local politicians; write to newspapers challenging stories that call for “tougher gun laws”; and most important of all make submissions concerning any new changes to the Arms Act when you’re called upon to do so."
    I'm thinking the odd complaint to the broadcasting standards authority about unbalanced/biased reporting could be in order too.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

heres an idea. for those that use a firearm to commit a crime then 10 years minimum no parole. for those that cause death in committing a crime a short rope and a long drop

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    heres an idea. for those that use a firearm to commit a crime then 10 years minimum no parole. for those that cause death in committing a crime a short rope and a long drop
    I vote the really inhumane solution. Lock'em up and continuously play "The Sound of Music."
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Isn't it strange that prior to 1983 firearms could be quite legally put behind the kitchen door, left under the seat in the car, or hung on a nail in the shearing shed, and it was no real problem. Sure, there was not a total lack of crime but it was relatively rare, and people did not go ballistic if they saw someone minding their own business with a firearm. So what has changed? Basically six things, as follows;

Police are not in small local Police stations, patrolling their local beat, and afraid to kick the arse of trouble-makers when they see them.

We had a viable mental health system with 'laughing academies' that kept inmates in varying levels of security according to their potential risk.

Schools were not PC, teachers wore appropriate clothing (dresses, or shirts and ties), classes were not biased toward the dumbest students, and misbehavior was punished on the spot.

Courts dealt out punishment appropriate to the offence, with borstal for serious young offenders.

The population was not corrupted by crap films and TV shows, biased journalism, violent video games, and the easy availablility of drugs.

People of all ages were expected to be responsible for their actions.

The lack of these six points has bred a generation that contains a high proportion of members that simply have no real grasp of the basic norms of an harmonious society (including many of our current crop of politicians). Given this situation, it is no wonder that they are looking at punishing the very people that are not causing the problem, viz. the law-abiding, decent, Police-vetted licenced firearms owners of our fair land. Until we can change some attitudes, expect to be victimized! I have done my fair share over the years to try and change things (in the esteemed company of a few fellow shooters) but until the majority of you make a point of expressing your outrage directly to those in Government and the news media, then we are on the slippery slope!

I have no problems about our current gun laws save for some of the damned idiots who get to own them legally. Outside of gun laws, I think everyone is concerned about all of the damned idiots who own them illegally.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Growing up in this great land in the 50's and 60's it was not uncommon to see someone walking down a street with a rifle or shotgun over their shoulder, even in Queen Street, Aucks. They were on there way to or from a gunshop or police station. Nobody freaked out or paid them any attention. It was accepted by the public that firearms were a part of the Kiwi way of life.

In the 1960's my mates and I used to bike all over the back country roads in the South Waikato with our .22 rifles slung over our shoulders, bolt and magazine installed, on the way to a particular farm or patch of scrub. Passing motorists would often wave or give us the thumbs up. Can't remember a single farmer ever not allowing us to shoot on their property when asked. We always called in when leaving and thanked them; to not do so was considered bad manners.

These days I would be lucky to walk to my letterbox with a firearm without the AOS being called.
    tetawa and Tommy like this.

A friend had the AOS called on him for nailing bunnies on a Pony club in the suburbs of town (not built up etc) with a air rifle with permission from said club.... Had some fuckwit come and tell him that he'd called the AOS as he thought it was a 308 and as such they showed up for the crime of the century!
    I'm also sick and tired of the Police thinking that they create the Law which they DONT!
    Steve123 and Knoxy_09 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock river arms hunter View Post
    A friend had the AOS called on him for nailing bunnies on a Pony club in the suburbs of town (not built up etc) with a air rifle with permission from said club.... Had some fuckwit come and tell him that he'd called the AOS as he thought it was a 308 and as such they showed up for the crime of the century!
    I'm also sick and tired of the Police thinking that they create the Law which they DONT!
    So the police are in the wrong, for turning up, as some member of the public calls to say that he has seen someone with a rifle, where he should not have been ?

Next time someone reports a suspicious vehicle , casing out houses, perhaps with intention to break into your house they should ignore it, dammed if they do and damned if they don,t.
    As to creating the law, actually they do, simply by advising ministers.
    And no I have nothing to do with the police, ( apart from payin my speeding fines) I just get pissed at people slagging them off for no reason at all, yet they are the first people they call when the shit hits the fan, would you do there job ?
    Tahr, Kscott, Savage1 and 1 others like this.

i fully agree with gundoc even though i was raised playing video games and violent movies.
    i have had to do electronic service work in prisons, cyf's homes and psychiatric care facilities and all i can say is if you saw where your tax dollars were going you would cry, you would also be incredibly pissed off to see how lenient soft and caring these places are. case in point, cyf home in south of christchurch for really bad little buggers had one escape one night, do some tagging and got caught trying to steal a car. he got dragged back to the home and from what i overheard he wasnt allowed to use the playstation for 2 weeks ( still had tv, pool table etc) . what a deterrent to not try it again.
    ive seen a similar cyfs house where 2 inmates were deemed unsafe to be around others so were in a 4 bedroom house on their own with 2 staff on duty at all times !
    been to a few prisons and whereas some are a bit run down the ones for "low risk" offenders have had accommodation that was pretty damn good. central heating, tv room , pool table etc. they even had movie night that was played from the guard house and distributed thru the aerial system to each cell. after all its far more comfortable to lay down on your bed wand watch tv. i have to admit that while working at these prison blocks i was offered a free lunch from the prison kitchen and it wasnt too bad.
    since the police catch less than 20% of burglaries and the judge sentences them to menial sentences in comfortable surroundings its hardly a deterrent.

Iagree with Gundoc.
    gone tropo -ive worked in chc biggest pysch facility for 36yrs ,forensic unit for last 10-your observations are somewhat astray.we are governed by very very strict law as to what we can and cant do end of story.again polis and shiny arsed biro pushers figure strongly in the equation .
    the police are in a parallel situation.