Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Leaving magazines loaded (legal issues?)

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    So much wrong here.

A rifle without a bolt is still a firearm and cannot be left unattended in a vehicle. In a locked vehicle in a petrol station forecourt is OK so long as you have eyes on it while inside paying or buying a pie or whatever. If the car is out of sight, you're in the wrong. If the car is at the bottom of a hill and you can see it from the top of the ridge a k away, you're in the wrong. You need to be able to intervene in a timely manner should someone attempt to break into your car.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    so whats when its in the car on the cook strait ferry? i asked the local cop and it was ok, the law states different

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    so whats when its in the car on the cook strait ferry? i asked the local cop and it was ok, the law states different
    T's & C's for the ferry say you hand them in before you board. Then collect at the other end.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    T's & C's for the ferry say you hand them in before you board. Then collect at the other end.
    but wouldnt you legally have to pass them to someone with a license, could you hand an E-cat to someone who has only a-cat?
    btw gadget, if you want my cd of funny pics i will burn you a copy

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    but wouldnt you legally have to pass them to someone with a license, could you hand an E-cat to someone who has only a-cat?
    btw gadget, if you want my cd of funny pics i will burn you a copy
    They are covered under the carriage of goods act that allows them to transport firearms.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    They are covered under the carriage of goods act that allows them to transport firearms.
    I lie. Section 73 of the Arms Act covers it. Knew it was somewhere.
    Tikka7mm08 and Cordite like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    However thinking back I thought I remembered reading something about having mags loaded is basically saying to the police you have them ready for self defence etc?
    Not at all - It's not an offence to have loaded mags in your dwelling away from your firearms. As for that action if taken being stipulated somehow that it could be for self-defense - that's your business, not theirs.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    While you may be able to have a rifle with the bolt in in you car why would you?
    That makes it more easy for someone to steal a functional rfile.

Personally I transport my rifles with bolts out of the rifles, bolts in a separate locked box in a bag.
    When I leave the vehicle rifles stay in the vehicle - illegal I think - but bolts in box in bag come with me.
    My logic is a rifle without the bolt in the car isn't a functioning firearm and isn't illegal but I'd rather not test this hypothesis.

Carrying rifles into a petrol station, cafe or bank would seem like a way to get the AOS out of bed so I don't.
    For me personally I often take two rifles and both have big cheek rests where you have to remove it all to put the bolt in or out, and it's a pain in the ass.
    (And I'm a bit lazy)
    I only ever go to where I'm using them. If I stop it will be gas station only. I don't detour or do anything else on the way there or back. I lock my car at the gas station, even though I can see it, Feels wierd but safer.
    It's usually only these rifles, others without big cheek pieces I do remove the bolt.
    As far as being practical... Like was said, it's no different to having a semi or pump action lever etc. Even if you do remove the bolt it will be in the car somewhere and a bad guy with half a brain will know this. You could take the bolt with you, but then leaving the car un-attended would be where you went wrong.

I always put the bolt in the rifle to transport. You'll only ever forget your bolt on a fly in hunting trip once in your life...man did it suck!

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    While you may be able to have a rifle with the bolt in in you car why would you?
    That makes it more easy for someone to steal a functional rfile....
    That is true and it's doubtful whether a crim would try and obtain a new bolt for a rifle although entirely possible of course. However, rifles without bolts still get stolen and can be used to intimidate people, i.e. bank robbery etc.

Obviously, keep your firearms hidden from view and your vehicle locked when visiting a service station. If you have to use the toilet and we all do sooner or later, especially on long trips and you're travelling alone, tell the cashier you have a firearm in your locked vehicle and please keep a close eye on it while you're temporarily engaged out back.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Obviously, keep your firearms hidden from view and your vehicle locked when visiting a service station. If you have to use the toilet and we all do sooner or later, especially on long trips and you're travelling alone, tell the cashier you have a firearm in your locked vehicle and please keep a close eye on it while you're temporarily engaged out back.
    While sensible, that's not the law - unless of course you verify said cashier has the approprate FAL for whats in the car he attends for you.

You have a couple choices when stopping to use Mr John Crapper's invention:

1) Compromise and bring the bolt with you, still breaking the law but cops hopefully less likely to charge you if your firearm takes wings. Alternative is trigger locks etc. to render the firearm inoperable.

2) Bring gun with you (preferably in its case). To avoid AOS callout, explain to attendant you're forbidden from leaving it in an unattended vehicle, but your urge to go has supervened. If you get into trouble, point out that you did try quoting the law at your rectum but it only seemed to inflame matters and strengthen its resolve to let go. The judge will understand.
    40mm likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post

2) Bring gun with you (preferably in its case). To avoid AOS callout, explain to attendant you're forbidden from leaving it in an unattended vehicle, but your urge to go has supervened. If you get into trouble, point out that you did try quoting the law at your rectum but it only seemed to inflame matters and strengthen its resolve to let go. The judge will understand.
    People shouldn't have to go through this dilemma just to use the bathroom or even get a meal on long trips - It's unrealistic and very impractical.

Why couldn't something like this be an option? If there were to be an amendment to the law for carrying firearms in vehicles this would be an easy option to be certified for unattended vehicles.
    223nut likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    While sensible, that's not the law - unless of course you verify said cashier has the approprate FAL for whats in the car he attends for you.
    I can't find any reference in the Arms Act or Arms Regulations that says whoever is watching your unattended vehicle on your behalf has to have a current FAL.

Many firearms don't have bolts of course and a trigger lock is easily removed simply by unscrewing the trigger guard. Trigger locks are more of a safety measure.

Carrying a firearm with you to the bog is going to freak out a lot of customers, especially in these times of PC and anti firearm brain washed citizens. Can't see that ever being allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    I can't find any reference in the Arms Act or Arms Regulations that says whoever is watching your unattended vehicle on your behalf has to have a current FAL.

Many firearms don't have bolts of course and a trigger lock is easily removed simply by unscrewing the trigger guard. Trigger locks are more of a safety measure.

Carrying a firearm with you to the bog is going to freak out a lot of customers, especially in these times of PC and anti firearm brain washed citizens. Can't see that ever being allowed.
    You are allowed to carry a firearm in a public place if you have good reason. Happened just recently down Timaru/Ashburton way with a guy carrying his rifle into a toilet because it was illegal to leave it unattended in his car. It does show the unintended consequences of laws.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    You are allowed to carry a firearm in a public place if you have good reason. ...
    True enough. By not being allowed I meant a no go policy by the owners of the fuel station or eatery. Being a private business and not a public place such as the town square, they may be able to enforce such a policy.

Being "cornered" by the law to open carry is ludicrous - At worst you attract un-wanted attention to yourself.

"Hey look Talofa, that guy over there is walking into the gassy wif a gun-bag, fink we might be on to sumfin aaaeee"