Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Leaving magazines loaded (legal issues?)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    People shouldn't have to go through this dilemma just to use the bathroom or even get a meal on long trips - It's unrealistic and very impractical.

Why couldn't something like this be an option? If there were to be an amendment to the law for carrying firearms in vehicles this would be an easy option to be certified for unattended vehicles.
    Have asked 2 arms officers if I could get a safe installed in a vehicle and sighed off.... No go as vehicle can be stolen even if locked and immobiliser installed (a cat house security can get away with less )

I agree here should be an amendment to have them stored securely in a vehicle, the police vehicles have them installed.....
    Sasquatch and Martin358 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    I agree here should be an amendment to have them stored securely in a vehicle, the police vehicles have them installed.....
    Exactly.

Just use empty brass or dummy rounds or just shoot more to run the mags in

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    They are covered under the carriage of goods act that allows them to transport firearms.
    That's interesting I brought a savage 22 last year online, I live on a RD address so it turned out to be headfuck I said to the guy (sportshop) can u send it to the local cop shop he said no as he wasn't sure who was going to receive it ..they mite not have there firearms licence !!! obversly no faith there , i thought it was pretty retarded

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    Have asked 2 arms officers if I could get a safe installed in a vehicle and sighed off.... No go as vehicle can be stolen even if locked and immobiliser installed (a cat house security can get away with less )

I've been told otherwise by some arms officers, though it took calling 5 different ones to get one that would sign off my vehicle if I had a safe installed and a good alarm from a reputable installer.
    Micky Duck and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've been told otherwise by some arms officers, though it took calling 5 different ones to get one that would sign off my vehicle if I had a safe installed and a good alarm from a reputable installer.
    Was the sign off to you in writing from your AO?
    40mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Was the sign off to you in writing from your AO?
    I never went ahead with it as the engineers quote was way higher than expected and didn't have the time to install one myself. He did however say he would sign it off, presumably on paper.

He said as long as the vehicle has an immobilizer then it can be classified as non moving or a residence.

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    No they don't.

The Arms Regulations actually say that you CAN store ammunition with your firearms.

19 Conditions relating to security precautions
    (1) (ii) shall ensure that, where the ammunition is stored with the firearm, the firearm is not capable of being discharged

No it isn't.
    Just remember the Labour candidate for Ohariu said much nonsensical and illegal rubbish about firearms before assuming the mantle as an expert as a politician. He is more scary than the drongo National politicians about our legal rights. Took a woman High Court Judge to stop the nonsense the Police continually spouted about the law.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    No they don't.

The Arms Regulations actually say that you CAN store ammunition with your firearms.

19 Conditions relating to security precautions
    (1) (ii) shall ensure that, where the ammunition is stored with the firearm, the firearm is not capable of being discharged
    To clarify that further - you cannot transport a firearm with a loaded magazine even though that firearm is not capable of being discharged.
    P38 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    I can't find any reference in the Arms Act or Arms Regulations that says whoever is watching your unattended vehicle on your behalf has to have a current FAL.

Many firearms don't have bolts of course and a trigger lock is easily removed simply by unscrewing the trigger guard. Trigger locks are more of a safety measure.

Carrying a firearm with you to the bog is going to freak out a lot of customers, especially in these times of PC and anti firearm brain washed citizens. Can't see that ever being allowed.
    @10-Ring

Yep, suppose person attending the vehicle does not have to have a FAL, if common sense rules. I was thinking in legally bulletproof terms in case someone argued that you had effectively left a non-FAL-holder to attend your (legally) insecure firearm.

Yep to the point against carrying a firearm from car to the toilet in our ever so modern but hysterical society. To be honest I have done so myself and will keep on doing so, but in rural areas in fairness, until the law re firearms in cars changes. As I have no prostate trouble I'm in and out of there like a shot and on the road again before anyone even has time to dial the AOS.
    10-Ring and 40mm like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Perhaps the firearm/vehicle transportation concerns we all have should be voiced for the upcoming police/FCAF meetings in June. Having a decent lockbox in a vehicle is a sustainable and viable option incase one has to leave a vehicle unattended for a short period a.k.a going to the toilet.
    gadgetman likes this.

If it's good enough for the cops to leave their firearms unattended in vehicles out on jobs then I don't see a problem ducking into a servo for a pie, coffee & a piss on a trip as long as it's not visible & you lock the truck up.
    Sasquatch likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

If the car is locked and alarmed and you would hear the alarm from the toilet then you can argue that its not unattended anyway.
    Sasquatch likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    If it's good enough for the cops to leave their firearms unattended in vehicles out on jobs then I don't see a problem ducking into a servo for a pie, coffee & a piss on a trip as long as it's not visible & you lock the truck up.
    That sort of thing has never been a problem.

It is when dickheads leave guns in cars all night parked outside the pub after going shooting that problems start.

Or a machine gun is left overnight in a car outside a motel while in town for a gun show. That idiot didn't even know it was gone until the back rang him about his credit cards being used.

Or are lazy cunts and simply leave guns in the boot permanently.
    40mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    That sort of thing has never been a problem.

It is when dickheads leave guns in cars all night parked outside the pub after going shooting that problems start.

Or a machine gun is left overnight in a car outside a motel while in town for a gun show. That idiot didn't even know it was gone until the back rang him about his credit cards being used.

Or are lazy cunts and simply leave guns in the boot permanently.
    Or people leaving pistols in public toilets.....
    199p, Sideshow, 40mm and 1 others like this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....