Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Leaving magazines loaded (legal issues?)

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Yes but doesn't mean it's a good idea and they have misplaced a few over the years too, does the cop who left his glock in the beehive shitter count

You have to be sensible about the whole thing, @40mm are you honestly saying you have taken your rifle with you into a toilet, public or otherwise? Cos down here in the South no one does.
    Not a toilet, but a supermarket. In the bag of course. Its not my fault or problem if some ignorant peasant is startled. I avoid doing so like the plague but I'm not going to put myself out just to appease someone's invalid paranoia.
    If I really need to take my rifle with me then I will.
    The police should at least try and educate the general public about the law they attempt to uphold. Maybe mention that a firearm in a bag is obviously in a bag because it is not about to be used!
    If people are not smart enough to figure that one out, then I sincerely hope they refrain from breeding.
    199p likes this.
    Use enough gun

I wonder how much good for the firearms community would result from an educational marketing program?
    maybe a little information on law and storage, (un attended in vehicle etc)

Might get some people into the sport too that were otherwise ignorant to the many different types of shooting sports.....
    I cant see any negative outcomes, but I am very bias.

Any volunteers to finance such a thing?
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    I wonder how much good for the firearms community would result from an educational marketing program?
    maybe a little information on law and storage, (un attended in vehicle etc)

Might get some people into the sport too that were otherwise ignorant to the many different types of shooting sports.....
    I cant see any negative outcomes, but I am very bias.

Any volunteers to finance such a thing?
    If one were to set up an organisation that had a "charitable purpose", gained Registered Charitable Entity status from the Charities Commission AND became an IRD-approved donee organisation, then you could begin to get donations from businesses in the firearms industry and begin an education program to make the public aware of the above issues.

Getting recognised as a charity would be the hard part, and such an organisation would likely have to remain apolitical and walk a fine line to maintain it's charitable status.

https://www.charities.govt.nz/apply-...table-purpose/
    40mm likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    If one were to set up an organisation that had a "charitable purpose", gained Registered Charitable Entity status from the Charities Commission AND became an IRD-approved donee organisation, then you could begin to get donations from businesses in the firearms industry and begin an education program to make the public aware of the above issues.

Getting recognised as a charity would be the hard part, and such an organisation would likely have to remain apolitical and walk a fine line to maintain it's charitable status.

https://www.charities.govt.nz/apply-...table-purpose/
    cheers, Anyone retired and want something meaningful to pursue????
    I have negative time.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Yes but doesn't mean it's a good idea and they have misplaced a few over the years too, does the cop who left his glock in the beehive shitter count

You have to be sensible about the whole thing, @40mm are you honestly saying you have taken your rifle with you into a toilet, public or otherwise? Cos down here in the South no one does.
    Probably not because he doesn't need an FAL to carry a firearm!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    Probably not because he doesn't need an FAL to carry a firearm!
    Definitely doesn't count. Didn't even get to 1 with the number of Glocks he had to remember to take with him.
    40mm likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I don't think their is any requirement to be apolitical, plenty of charities get involved in political lobbying etc. However what does tend to happen is that if the charities registration board doesn't like the views or opinions of a charity they just say it doesn't have a legitimate 'charitable purpose' and revoke its status, which the charity has to go to the high court to challenge (which costs a lot of money).

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I don't think their is any requirement to be apolitical, plenty of charities get involved in political lobbying etc. However what does tend to happen is that if the charities registration board doesn't like the views or opinions of a charity they just say it doesn't have a legitimate 'charitable purpose' and revoke its status, which the charity has to go to the high court to challenge (which costs a lot of money).
    Sounds like it could be infiltrated be people with personal agendas just like every other public service organ

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Indeed. My comment about remaining apolitical was to avoid a can of worms. From the Charities Commission website:

POLITICAL ACTIVITIES

Many not-for-profit organisations try to influence change by raising awareness of a societal issue or trying to change local or national laws. There is no general prohibition on political advocacy being a charitable purpose, but in a recent ruling the Supreme Court noted that it may be uncommon for political purposes to be charitable purposes. The Court noted that the advancement of causes will often be non-charitable as it is not possible to say whether the views promoted, and the means by which they are promoted, are of benefit in a way that the law regards as charitable.

In assessing whether a political or advocacy purpose is a charitable purpose, Charities Services must assess the intended result of the view that is being advocated, the means of achieving that result, and the manner in which the result is achieved.

Even where a political purpose is not charitable, it may not be a barrier to registration, as long as it is merely ancillary to an established charitable purpose. You can find more information on the Advocacy for causes page.

Plenty of examples there for what does and doesn't pass the 'charitable' test.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

That's why every organisation has a charter and rules to keep them on track towards the original goal they were formed to achieve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Sounds like it could be infiltrated be people with personal agendas just like every other public service organ

That's why every organisation has a charter and rules to keep them on track towards the original goal they were formed to achieve.

Ah yeah. Like why the nzda has their constitution

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post

I can't get to the Fcaf meetings through being on duty at work on am shift, can someone run that past the Arms Officers at one of their meetings to press for some form of accepted security in vehicles where we can have secure storage signed off by AO's?
    You're dreaming. Never happen.

Robberies from cars are the fourth most common crime in New Zealand according to the NZ Herald. Almost 82500 reported from July 2014 to the end of 2016 alone.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=11853851

There's no way any government is going to change the regulations ('cos that's what it will take) to let people leave guns unattended in cars when so many cars get robbed. No matter what security is in place.

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    You're dreaming. Never happen.

Robberies from cars are the fourth most common crime in New Zealand according to the NZ Herald. Almost 82500 reported from July 2014 to the end of 2016 alone.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=11853851

There's no way any government is going to change the regulations ('cos that's what it will take) to let people leave guns unattended in cars when so many cars get robbed. No matter what security is in place.
    That NZ Herald article is missing other key stats - How many home's were robbed? Because the way I see it is if home and car break-ins are similar in numbers, then it would make sense to increase security storage for firearms in a vehicle.

Considering we leave firearms at our homes unattended.
    gadgetman and Beaker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    That NZ Herald article is missing other key stats - How many home's were robbed? Because the way I see it is if home and car break-ins are similar in numbers, then it would make sense to increase security storage for firearms in a vehicle.

Considering we leave firearms at our homes unattended.
    All the security in the world means shit if someone knows you have em.....
    Beaker likes this.
    Use enough gun

Quote Originally Posted by kimjon View Post
    I always put the bolt in the rifle to transport. You'll only ever forget your bolt on a fly in hunting trip once in your life...man did it suck!
    i had a nightmare about this once a week out from a fly in .....woke up in a cold sweat ....
    almost as bad as clowns in your dreams ......
    Cordite likes this.