Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Lee Enfields and the 30-40 Krag.

Lee Enfields and the 30-40 Krag.

Greetings All,
    Some time ago I mentioned that Din Collings had rebarrelled No4 Lee Enfield actions to 30-40 Krag using take out target barrels. I thought I would provide a little more info in case someone has an old .303 with a shot barrel and family history and is looking at options for getting it shooting again.
    The 30-40 Krag was a rough copy of the .303 by the US developed to replace the 45-70 about 1892. It had a very short life and was obsolete by 1903. Its rimmed case makes it a natural for single shot rifles so it was produced for these for many years. The case is similar to the .303 but neither will chamber in the other.
    Name:  20220129_112253.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  2.69 MB
    Above are left to right. My .303 handload with 174 grain RN, my handload .303 case reformed to 30-40 Krag and 150 grain RN and Din Collings handload 30-40 Krag Win case and 150 grain softpoint.
    Reformed .303 cases come out a little short but shoot fine in my rifle. Although the Krag case rim looks thinner this is due to a bevelled edge and the rim thickness is the same.
    A .308 target barrel or heavy sporter barrel can be cut of at the breech, threaded and rechambered which is what happened with my Martini. Excellent new barrels for the .303 are available but cheap they are not. The Krag, even with reformed .303 cases, has a long neck which is great for cast lead.
    I would love to know if anyone has a Din Collings 30-40 Krag Lee Enfield. These barrels would have never seen a corrosive primer and should still be in good nick.
    Regards Grandpamac.

that long neck reminds me of the 30/30 very much....

I would certainly be interested in finding a 30-40 chamber reamer
    That would be a great option to hang on a nice single shot action
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    that long neck reminds me of the 30/30 very much....
    Well it’s only 10 ‘somethings’ different MD!

(Yeah I know it’s actually powder capacity)
    akaroa1 and Micky Duck like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I would certainly be interested in finding a 30-40 chamber reamer
    That would be a great option to hang on a nice single shot action
    Purdey thought so too and adopted it, or a near copy, as the .30 Flanged Nitro (Purdey).
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Purdey thought so too and adopted it, or a near copy, as the .30 Flanged Nitro (Purdey).
    And that sounds even more sexy
    Micky Duck likes this.

I have heard of the 7.62x54R ???? THE MOSIN round being used in SMLE with rebarrel to good effect.....
    the .307 winchester would also be option...but the good ol .303brit is still a good option,too many options for me to justify it but a rechambered bakail 7.62x39 into .303brit and a 222/223 into .22hp savage would be two options I would love to have.

Have a chat to Archie Moore, he had some outstanding results with his 30/40Krag (Din Collins creation)

I remember reading 70's Aussie Sporting Shooter mags and Nick Harvey used to talk about 303's rebarrelled to 30-30. Something to do with firearm regulations if I remember right...

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    I remember reading 70's Aussie Sporting Shooter mags and Nick Harvey used to talk about 303's rebarrelled to 30-30. Something to do with firearm regulations if I remember right...
    It was due to a restriction after WWII in NSW on ownership of military calibres. Not sure if any other states imposed the law.

No so much 30-30s but the classic one was 7.7x54 which I think was shortening the chamber by taking up the standard barrel by 1 turn, which got them around the law.
    And of course it spawned all the rifles using the military actions but fitted with barrels chambered in 303/25, 303/270, 303/22?.

I think only graziers and pest controllers could still own a rifle in 303B.
    bumblefoot and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    It was due to a restriction after WWII in NSW on ownership of military calibres. Not sure if any other states imposed the law.

No so much 30-30s but the classic one was 7.7x54 which I think was shortening the chamber by taking up the standard barrel by 1 turn, which got them around the law.
    And of course it spawned all the rifles using the military actions but fitted with barrels chambered in 303/25, 303/270, 303/22?.

I think only graziers and pest controllers could still own a rifle in 303B.
    Greetings zimmer and all,
    Yes there was a .22 on the .303 case, perhaps even two. One was the .22 Sprinter. Australia also produced the .222 Rimmed (exactly what it sounds like) which was chambered in small Martini and, I think, Lee Enfields. I was in Oz in 1019 and the brass for the .222 Rimmed was still available in the larger sports shops and I saw one Martini rifle on the farm I was visiting.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Yup I remember reading the Sporting Shooter mags and a lot of roo shooters etc were using 303/25's. But it was interesting to think of 303's rebarreled to 30-30!

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings zimmer and all,
    Yes there was a .22 on the .303 case, perhaps even two. One was the .22 Sprinter. Australia also produced the .222 Rimmed (exactly what it sounds like) which was chambered in small Martini and, I think, Lee Enfields. I was in Oz in 1019 and the brass for the .222 Rimmed was still available in the larger sports shops and I saw one Martini rifle on the farm I was visiting.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    1019! I know I am old but not that old. Bumblefoot my Martini was chambered for the .30-30 before it was run out to .30-40 Krag.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblefoot View Post
    Yup I remember reading the Sporting Shooter mags and a lot of roo shooters etc were using 303/25's. But it was interesting to think of 303's rebarreled to 30-30!
    Culled in the Ruahines with a hunter who toted a 303/25.It was a honey,mild recoil and laser accurate.Cant remember the breed of aftermarket barrel but wouldn't be surprised if Dinny Collings screwed it on

pretty sure an old chap used to use a .20ga /222R drilling on wallabies down waimate way....one of the few drillings Ive ever seen.