Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Lightest weight survival rifle

Rossi single shot .410 I have used was nothing to carry haha, could probably shave the stock down slim it up a bit if you were really worried about it.
    VIVA LA HOWA

ebf
    manufacturers specs:

baikal 2.5 kg
    rossi (adult) 1.8 kg
    rossi (youth) 1.7 kg
    norinco jw86 2.6 kg - not sure if this is available in 410
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Bill, I doubt a rimfire is allowed on doc land without a permit.
    shotty as well, no ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Iv got a 20g single here I lopped back to 2mm over legal length, just out of curiosity. It's very very short as it turns out. Mean to take the grinder to the action because it looks antisocial but it hasn't happened yet. No front bead, I just taped a torch to the front of it that lines up with the spread and use it as possum medicine for the ones in the roses out front of the house.
    Possum would be a major food source in a survival situation , I suggest you tape some recipies to the stock
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Caretaker

Lightest weight survival rifle

Thanks for that info ebf, shottie out of bounds also

But in a survival situation nobody would point the finger
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I think you cant even have a 12gauge on DOC land.
    VIVA LA HOWA

I'd go single shot/break open 22lr with a really short barrel and compact scope or longer barrel and open sights. There is plenty out there that you could take with it in a survival situation and you can carry a fair amount of ammo for it easily. Next option would be the same in 223. Generally in a survival situation the rules go out the window, but if you get caught then you've also been found.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Define 'survival situation'

The realistic ones in NZ are flood, earthquake, volcanic event in some areas, or lost in the bush while hunting/tramping

A gun isn't really useful in the first 3, more preparedness and having a 'go bag' ready to leave with essential survival gear, and in the last option, a 'survival rifle' is only useful if you have it on you at all times just in case

Having a lightweight pack rifle for cool factor and shooting stuff that pops up when fishing, tramping, etc is cool though and I'm still trying to think of the best/neatest option

(Did I miss any realistic survival situations?)

So a .223? so it can be used in doc areas needs a butt that can serve as a paddle haha and has to be light weight and compact but accurate enough to shoot game with it. My no butt use your hand as a paddle although a hollowed out butt that has water proof matches and some paracord and stuff in it would be handy if shtf
    VIVA LA HOWA

Instead of having a gimmick rifle with that stuff in the butt or something just be properly prepared with what is in your backpack.

Worst case scenario: you get injured or lost in the NZ bush/mountains somewhere and have to survive while waiting for help (which will be coming eventually because you told someone responsible where you're going and when you will return). So a first aid kit and knowledge of how to use it, shelter and extra layers, means of making fire, some food and water. And an EPIRB.
    Normie likes this.

I'm still keen on this survival rifle, not so much for real use but its fun to plan up in your head or with your mates.use but just like a zombie attack and what you would do its fun to think about
    VIVA LA HOWA

Zombies aren't real and when people talk about them/guns they sound like psychopaths because they are literally fantasising about consequence-free murder of people. It's an incredibly stupid and unfunny trend that should have died out a long time ago.
    Rich007, 308, res and 1 others like this.

Lightweight/compact pack rifles are cool for mucking around, shooting rabbits when fishing or in the riverbed when the weather is too bad for tahr hunting, carrying 'just in case I see something', etc

Still fun to make a plan and stuff, have a spot sussed out to go to all the traps to set and so on.
    VIVA LA HOWA

As Gimp says , we dont have nasty things that can eat you here so what is in your pack and what is in your head are most important .
    In saying that a light colapsiable .22 is a fine thing to have along for rabbits and possums and a flame thrower and garlic for those of you who worry about Zombies and Vampires , actually for a lot of you a bright light to keep away the dark and the scary things like Possums and Hedgehogs is probably a first call .
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer