Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Lightest weight survival rifle

ebf
    The other side to consider of course is how much ammo do you want to carry, and here 22 sure as heck beats anything else hands down

Druid, please don't tell anyone, but I find hedgehogs especially terrifying They are sneaky little fcukers, look all cute and cudly, but wait until they get you cornered mate, it gets ugly real fast...
    Taff likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

Druid, please don't tell anyone, but I find hedgehogs especially terrifying They are sneaky little fcukers, look all cute and cudly, but wait until they get you cornered mate, it gets ugly real fast...
    I like em, soposidly they are bad but they are just cute(more so than some evil cat) I have hedge on each side of my property and often hear them snuffling and grunting their way past my bedroom window on the way from one hedge to the other.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ebf
    ya VC, they do seem to like catfood ! friends of ours feed the entire neighborhoods stray cats, and during summer have a hedgie or 2 coming round late at night to steal cat pellets - had a trail cam on them for a while

ps, that nasty man Mr Morgan wants all of them dead too !

er, back to survival rifles ?

As for survival rifles I guess we have to ask 7mm the context of "survival rifle"
    Is it just the recently coined term for ultra simple/light firearm or an actual survival tool?
    You can go at least a week without food(going buy my ab(singular) I and most others could go a lot more)
    If you are not injured enough to still be able to move(to pick up the wood pigeon or possum you shot) you are going to make your way out or into a recoverable position.
    Survival= Water,food,shelter, warmth. excluding of course complications of injury. Food you can do without as above.
    The most important survival item in NZ IMHO is the ability to light a fire.(I have been there)

Then there is a nice light compact rifle you can take when fishing or just incase, which is cool
    Steveh054 and Toby like this.

Caretaker

Lightest weight survival rifle

Im in the Kawekas right now looking for sika with dougie and west870mc and its cooling down, dry and dusty up here.
    I'm wanting a light rifle to put in my pack so i have something to smack deer while they watch me fish the ngaruroro river. The term ' survival rifle' is what the yanks call a pack rifle?
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

so .223?
    VIVA LA HOWA

I thought it was a nut bag preppers term

Pack rifle I understand
    gadgetman likes this.

Why do they have to be so light, do we also all lose our ability to carry 3kg when in survival mode? whats wrong with a single shot break down in 223
    veitnamcam likes this.

ebf
    In that case back to the 223 baikal break neck / take down. Chop it, and hack the stock.

Are you happy with open sights for this pack rifle?

Oh, and pls tell Dougie that rifle better have some scratches on it when it gets back to Welly
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Oh, and pls tell Dougie that rifle better have some scratches on it when it gets back to Welly
    Don't know about the rifle, but Dougie had a good dose of scratches on the pins.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    Why do they have to be so light, do we also all lose our ability to carry 3kg when in survival mode? whats wrong with a single shot break down in 223
    I refuse to exercise for the sake of exercise. If Im getting fat and unfit its cos this "working for the man" is eating up my time.
    when hunting I carry a heavy as walnut sako.
    I see the point in a light "WHAT IF" pack rifle but never been introduced to fresh water fishing.

If I cant carry my 8 pound(I have no idea I just know its heavy compared some fancy mates rifles) all up of sako and scope how the hell am I going to carry meat or preferably the whole animal out?

I do see the point in a "maybe" rifle if your a fisherman,bird watcher,god Knows what.
    For me I will just carry that heavy walnut stocked sako any time im legally allowed to. When the time comes that 8 or 12 pounds becomes too much I hope im in the bush somewhere............my family knows where to scatter my ashes
    von tempsky fan likes this.

When I go rabbit shooting I tend to have the 22lr in my hands and a 223 Rem slung over the shoulders with the pack, just in case something else pops up. I don't mind a bit of weight, it helps with traction a lot of the time as I don't have the weight to push the boot cleats into the ground. Also don't get blown about quite so much by the wind. It is a lightish weight cheap mini mauser 223 mind you.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    yea id still like a N0.1 in 7 rem built into a nice light stock for thar

But its close to or over two grand for a ruger... and who whats to pay sako money for a ruger?
    Who wants to pay sako money for a sako?
    Spanners and Bill999 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Gimp, infection with psychological effects is not unheard of.

An infection that spread by fluid transfer, and caused its victims to become aggressive and unstable is entirely possible.

I think dismissing zombie apocalypse entirely is a little short sighted, given that its not outside the realm of possibility.
    While it's theoretically possible, such an infection resulting in a widespread epidemic and a 'SHTF' scenario is ludicrously unlikely, and obsessing over shooting the victims of such an unfortunate sickness makes you look like A Fucking Nutbar, because you are.
    Brakelie likes this.

Caretaker
    So what calibre could theoretically be made the lightest?

A 223 ?

You don't need much of a stock
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time