Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Long range guns

Quote Originally Posted by rogers.270 View Post
    .270 T3 forrest if you want wood, optilock rings to make sure the scope is low enough on the rifle, whack a limbsaver on it an grab an R6 or RZ6 reticle Zeiss for under 1K and youll be home and hosed to 600 odd.

run a 130-140 g SST projectile which is versatile for tops and close range cant go wrong.

if the recoil is giving you bother keep practicing or failing that suppress it (bush stalking a bit of inaccurate kick is ok and unlikely youll be letting that many rounds off for the tops you may want to suppress as the distances will mean more error if too much flinch/kick. plus on tops being comfortable is good as you may have more chance for a couple of shots

a mean setup and around the $2k or under mark - buy a second hand rifle and save more to spend on scope. nothing wrong with second hand goods
    Awesome feedback rogers.270. Yea it will be a big step up from the 223 55g to something with a kick to it. Joining the rifle range sounds like it will also be on the cards for a JAFA like myself with not much open ground for sighting in.

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    recoil is like a super fit lay you just have to get used to the extra work, cant just lie there and take it or it will dominate you. don't let it intimidate, I had a .308 went to .270 that sucked, upto .300 wsm that sucked too and then to .338 that's sucks as well. but with muzzle breaks suppressors and simply learning how to deal with it youll come out ok.0

7m08, 308 etc are ok but I have always liked the stopping of the .270 at range. read the latest??? R&R or NZ hunter a good article re .270 (ps don't go .270 WSM)
    Rusky likes this.
    Addicted to gun powder

Would a Tikka T3 Forrest or hunter .270 have a half cock option? Have heard Tikkas are prone to having problems in regards to pulling trigger on half cock and the bolt shutting? Or if they do have a half cock the bolt is easily knocked upwards and open ejecting the bullet. Any one got first hand experience in this?

Use the safety or an open bolt with your thumb on the bolt.
    gadgetman likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Well for a start you shouldnt have your hand even near the trigger in a state of semi readiness. Its not really a half cock but to get a similar effect I had a hole drilled in the bolt to I can put the safety on while its in that position. Only way youll know is to go and feel it.

Veitnamcam wouldnt it become a pain in the arse always holding your thumb on the bolt especially when you need to sling the gun over your shoulder for a few seconds to climb a steep hill, crossing river, pushing through bush or something? Im also not very trustworthy
    when it comes to the safety on rifles.

Scoped, I dont practice that technique. Just thinking of it as a safety thing if something besides my fingers were to touch the trigger.

No because you shouldn't be slinging the rifle with one up the spout.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    gadgetman, ebf, mikee and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    No because you shouldn't be slinging the rifle with one up the spout.

Well looks like I need to change my hunting safety then. I flick the safety on when I do need free hands. Cheers Veitnamcam.

what so you hunt with the rifle cocked and only put it on safe when your doing the above?

Half cocked with safety on scoped. Flick was suppose to be "Have"

You are welcome to come have a play with my 6.5, see if you like it. Pussycat to shoot. Im out at the North auckland range on sunday AM weather permitting

there is no half cocked, its fully cocked as soon as you open the bolt.
    its de cocked when you hold the trigger and close the bolt(don't recommend) or fire a shot.
    safetys work unless some twat has been fiddling with it and so does an open bolt.

load when ready to fire means when on super fresh sign,set up watching a slip/clearing ,smelt one, heard oneetc.
    not crank one up it at the truck and clamber around bluffs threw supple jack etc on a half closed bolt and take it out when back at the truck if you haven't already lost it and your bolt in some supple jack or worse had a uid

mikee likes this.

There are plenty of other options just as good as a T3 (or better depending what floats your boat) in the same price range, so don't go thinking they're the only option just because their fans are the loudest.

Go to a few gun shops and have a fondle of Browning, Savage, Ruger, Remington, Howa and whatever else you find as well as a Tikka, and see what fits you best. Most of them have wooden stock options as well as various synthetics, there is no lack of choice!
    Rusky likes this.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Well looks like I need to change my hunting safety then. I flick the safety on when I do need free hands. Cheers Veitnamcam.
    So you trust the safety when the muzzle is not pointing at the target but you don't use it when you are actively hunting ?

This half-cock madness really does my head in.
    gadgetman, Spudattack and steven like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I don't trust my safety, has never given me any reason not to but i still don't. I still hunt with one up and the safety on.

I unload when an obstacle needs to be negotiated and there is a chance of me not maintaining complete control of the muzzle, other than that it is loaded with safe on.

I prefer to rely on "treat every firearm as loaded" and "always point your firearm in a safe direction" and I cannot see any way that I could accidentally shoot someone if those are obeyed, no matter what condition you carry in.

Must say though that I have had more muzzles pointed at me in my 6 years in NZ than I did in my 30 in SA, and that includes 3 armed robberies! Seems to be a bit of an attitude amongst SOME (not all) that its unloaded so its safe, never mind the fact that its also terrible gun manners to wave your muzzle about. Some of our "outdoor" tv shows don't do much to dispel this attitude as I have seen the presenters do it!

Anyway that's my take, we have very few accidental shootings, normally mistaken identity or people taking loaded firearms in or out of storage or a car wtf!
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."