Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Long range guns

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Because it is not an "extra step". It is a poor substitute. Half these guys don't even know if the action cocks on opening or closing FFS !

Rusky, not having a go at you mate, it is just a crazy kiwi invention due to ex WW2 enfields with shitty safeties, and something that came out of the post war deer culler days. IMHO it has no place on a modern firearm with a functioning safety.
    As an aside,

a) The dodgy ww2 safeties on no4s were a war time expedient part(s) and after the war the old design safe parts were fitted as a matter of course by armourers.

b) New un-issued/un-used safety parts for a No4 are < $30NZ and readily available on TM and fleebay so I see no excuse not to maintain your rifle or upgrade an obsolete part. Though some of the dangerous parts are being sold on fleebay as new and un-issued.

Be that as it may keeping a gun un-chambered as much as possible is just good practice, ditto putting some bright coloured elec tape over the muzzle to keep crap out.
    Scouser likes this.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    I trust myself 110% when it comes to where the rifle is pointing. Its either at the ground when stalking or upwards in special circumstances.

Thid whole safety thing came to light as I know Tikkas mostly dont have the half bolt option. Its another unecessary safety measure but its one I want. Ive never had the bolt slam shut bush bashing but have had it open and eject a round. I do take safety seriously. Ive even told 2 guys at Oamaru hut in Kaimanawas to open there bolts as they wanted to show off there plastic toys. The conversation stopped about then.
    Totally understand where your coming from Rusky....but were going off on another tangent now (Hunters in huts) you can NEVER be safe enough around firearms.....just that i dont like being preached to or treated like a child/fuckwit when it comes to the 'safety switch' on a modern rifle.....

do i trust my brakes when i drive, YES, why?, i get them checked regularly.....

do i trust my scuba diving rig when i dive deeper that 30mts or into a wreck?, YES, why? i get my regulator and octopus serviced every year.....

do i trust my rope when i slide off an incline on a mountain? YES, why? I get mine checked before every trip and my harness and ATC.....

The bottom line in all 'risky activities' is the big three, training, good/mint equipment and with time, experience....just my 2c.....

proviso....ALL equipment CAN fail......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt