Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 42
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Looking for binos leupold, delta, vortex...

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manawatu
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    At the $500 price point, the Delta would be the best then 'for a few dollars more' the Geko - NZ GR Hunts
    Those Gecos look interesting, how do the 10x32s go in low light? The Delta Forest 2 are cheap, maybe too cheap to be good?

  2. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    252
    I've run and had the chance to look through a lot of high, mid and lower end binos.
    The Delta forest II 10-x42s would be the ticket for you. $400 and excellent value (and they support the forum too so thats a plus)
    Moa Hunter likes this.

  3. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manawatu
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi-adam View Post
    Wife uses the BX1 Mckenzie HD's, she loves them and thinks they are great. I on the otherhand just didnt gel with them and ended up going with the BX2 Alpine HD's. I can see a small but worthwhile difference between the 2, but the Wife still thinks the Mckenzies are better.

    All you can really do is try a few and grab the option that you feel is better.

    I should also mention she spots more Deer than me, could be unrelated, but there is that.
    I'm sure she finds the tomato sauce in the fridge on the first go too

    That's interesting though, everyone's eyes are different.
    kiwi-adam and Eat Meater like this.

  4. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manawatu
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by dirkvanvuuren View Post
    I've run and had the chance to look through a lot of high, mid and lower end binos.
    The Delta forest II 10-x42s would be the ticket for you. $400 and excellent value (and they support the forum too so thats a plus)
    I do appreciate that they support the forum but if they are better than the bx1s then I'll go that way.

    I don't think anyone near me stocks the Deltas so I can't have a look through them before I buy. I'm sure they'll look after me though.

  5. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Location
    CNI
    Posts
    94
    Another + for the delta forest.
    Haven't used any of the others listed here but those deltas seem pretty good to us.
    We have a pair on the kitchen table for keeping an eye on our place,game in the back paddock etc.
    bang for buck I'd say

  6. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Location
    CNI
    Posts
    94
    Yea,and Ian is a good helpful bloke

  7. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manawatu
    Posts
    1,087
    Any advantage going to the 10x50? A bit heavier but as Mickyduck says I've got about 15kg to lose off my gut before I worry about a couple of hundred grams in my binos
    flock likes this.

  8. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    North Canterbury
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    Any advantage going to the 10x50? A bit heavier but as Mickyduck says I've got about 15kg to lose off my gut before I worry about a couple of hundred grams in my binos
    Better light gathering. A 10x bino should have a 70mm objective. Night Binos are commonly 8x56 ( 7mm x 8 = 56 )
    The Delta are optically very good. The only negative is that they require more focus adjustment for distance when panning than a top grade bino like a Swaro. Adjustment becomes automatic with use.
    They have good colour differentiation which many other sub $1000 binos do not. So plenty of cheaper binos are clear but will still miss animals because the colours dont 'pop'

  9. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manawatu
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Better light gathering. A 10x bino should have a 70mm objective. Night Binos are commonly 8x56 ( 7mm x 8 = 56 )
    The Delta are optically very good. The only negative is that they require more focus adjustment for distance when panning than a top grade bino like a Swaro. Adjustment becomes automatic with use.
    They have good colour differentiation which many other sub $1000 binos do not. So plenty of cheaper binos are clear but will still miss animals because the colours dont 'pop'
    So for the same money 10x50 be better performing?

  10. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2023
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    2
    Hey mate, i have a pair of bushnell legend 10x42 E series that are a few years old now but i think they are great, pretty sure i only paid around $4-450.
    Rated M for Magnum likes this.

  11. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manawatu
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Practical 7 View Post
    Hey mate, i have a pair of bushnell legend 10x42 E series that are a few years old now but i think they are great, pretty sure i only paid around $4-450.
    Yeah mate they look good, I wonder if the Bushnell engage is the new version. All round about the same money, what to do...

  12. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Gisborne Rural
    Posts
    3,283
    @Rated M for Magnum
    i have had the bx1 and older bx2 cascades, i have given the bx1 to my young fella i didn't like them, the older bx2 cascades i loved. Just sent them back under warranty and they replaced the with a new pair of the bx2 alpine which i have not opened. I have used the bx2 for years and really rate them
    The leupold warranty is worth every cent.
    I did have the bx2 listed on here couple weeks back but unsure what am doing now
    dannyb and Rated M for Magnum like this.

  13. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    North Canterbury
    Posts
    5,462
    Quote Originally Posted by Rated M for Magnum View Post
    So for the same money 10x50 be better performing?
    Yes. Even in high grade binos a 50mm objective will be better in poor light than a smaller objective, although in high grade binos the difference will be less noticeable
    .

  14. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Manawatu
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Yes. Even in high grade binos a 50mm objective will be better in poor light than a smaller objective, although in high grade binos the difference will be less noticeable
    .
    Wasn't there a ratio between the objective lense, zoom and exit pupil? Zoom times exit pupil equals required lense diameter to get the nest out of it? So with the Deltas I see the 10x42 have an exit pupil of 4.2 (10x4.2=42) and the 10x50s have an exit pupil of 5mm (10x5=50). Looking around that seems to be common sizing.

    I need to stop looking around and pick some, this is starting to do my head in lol

    Oh bloody hell now I've seen the athlon range...

  15. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    917
    Burris droptine on special at $449. Good glass, compact and lifetime no questions asked warranty
    TimC likes this.

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!