Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 308mate
  • 3 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Calikiwi
  • 1 Post By vulcannz

Thread: MAE suppressors - Any good?

MAE suppressors - Any good?

Gday all. And happy new year, looking at buying a rifle that has an MAE over barrel suppressor fitted, I’m really no expert in suppressors as my area of firearms interest is collecting. Are MAE suppressors reputable? Not finding much discussion on the intermeweb…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They used to be based in Auckland, then in Mt Maunganui I think before the company dissolved (I think?) when the owners retired. They built heavy but fairly decent suppressors for their time, though I would say there are more modern options that are better like DPT that would do the same job for a lot less weight.
    Burb122 likes this.

Ahh right, so they are a bit old Gen. will keep an eye out for a replacement as it’s probably has years of abuse!

Caretaker
    Extremely quiet and durable suppressors

Not as light as others but if the first two attributes are your highest priority then your good to go
    Burb122, 300CALMAN and Calikiwi like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I like them, they are certainly built to last. The heavy stainless construction seems to absorb a lot of the sound. I had one on my 22-250 for ages and even though the suppressor had a big 30 cal hole down the end it was very quiet. Good on a varmint rifle or magnum. If you ended up buying the rifle and do not want the suppressor I would probably buy it off you lol.
    Burb122 likes this.

There appears to be another MAE based in the UK. I used to have their MAE Mouse suppressor for a 22, it had springs in it and wasn't that quite (and if you knocked it against something you could hear the springs).
    Burb122 likes this.

I run an MAE can on my 223. Very quiet, slim and not too long, full stainless so heavier than comparable alloy cans, but will last almost forever. Maybe 350g from memory?

Great can, love it. The overbarrel ones definitely are a lot heftier though..

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    There appears to be another MAE based in the UK. I used to have their MAE Mouse suppressor for a 22, it had springs in it and wasn't that quite (and if you knocked it against something you could hear the springs).
    MAE here exported many to UK, was his main market prior Chch and Covid which seemed to create too bigger hurdle's.

I've got a an over barrel MAE on my 223. Yes, being stainless it's heavier than an alloy one. When I bought it they only rated it for 10,000 to rounds. So about the life of a 223 barrel. In an unscientific test side side with a gunworks slim can the MAE was quietly to my ears.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    I've got a an over barrel MAE on my 223. Yes, being stainless it's heavier than an alloy one. When I bought it they only rated it for 10,000 to rounds. So about the life of a 223 barrel. In an unscientific test side side with a gunworks slim can the MAE was quietly to my ears.
    Clean it with an ultrasonic cleaner and it will be quieter and do another 10,000
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Thanks for the feed back guys. Seems a worthy piece!

I run a couple of Mae supressors one on my 204 ruger and yes it's slightly heavier than some but it is very quiet and built tough, I also run one of their magnum suppressors on my rem mag , I have tried a few and the Mae has out performed them.

Mines had countless ammo through it. They are built fairly tough I don't see it clagging out for a long time
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.