Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Most common rifle brands used

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tikka

43 54.43%
  • Remmington

25 31.65%
  • Howa

19 24.05%
  • CZ

10 12.66%
  • Savage

5 6.33%
  • Norinco

4 5.06%
  • Lee Enfield

6 7.59%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Most common rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    Maybe the poll should be split into 3 sections: centrefire/rimfire/shotgun?
    ^^^^
    This
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I think Howa would be even more popular if it wasn't for their bulky factory hogue stock. Everything else is mint.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 06-05-2020 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_90 View Post
    I should try for a job with the Labour party then eh.
    Nah, you're too honest for that!
    Max Headroom and Joe_90 like this.

Why all the negative stuff about Tikka's, I don't own one but they are very very good firearms, the design is superb, the Q/A excellent and the results accuracy wise speak for themselves. The mere fact that they comprise about 60% of centrefire rifles sold in NZ means there are a lot out there, so there will be a few failures (probly due to inexperienced and/or dumb owners as much as anything . . . )
    6x47 and MB like this.

Yea, left off most of the main rifle's I use, but I've got CZ in .22 mag, .17 hornet and 6.5 Grendel, 90% of my centerfire hunting,shooting would be coved with sako's (6 rifles) coopers (four) and Winchester M70 & levers (6 rifles), and a lonely Ruger in .358 win and a double rifle in 7x57, 9.3x74.
    Noticed I have a dead even split with Sakos and Winchester in NZ and Canada, 3 of each.

Tikka are economy rifles made to a price point. Everything they do is to save money or production time.

1 length action, save time and money by having 1 production doing it all the same. Just change magazine and bolt stop as required.
    Economy materials marketed as premium and weight savings. Plastic trigger guards, bolt shroud (now alloy on T3x)
    T3x no longer machining the "checkering" into the top of the receiver.
    Light weight polymer stock.
    "premium non glare finish" Is just less polishing on the barrel surface.

Good on any company that can make reductions in manufacturing costs and then start marketing them as premium.

With modern manufacturing most barreled actions are pretty good, its the stock that lets alot of economy rifles down. Tikka seemed to get that part down pretty good.
    Price is getting a bit steep for what they are IMO but there is no arguing that they don't shoot well. So i guess at the end of the day They shoot well and are light so thats that most people want and thats why they are so popular.

If the price keeps going up there is room for someone else to come in and undercut them or do something better for similar price. Just like Bergara did to Remington.

I hunted for years with a zastava and yes it was 3.4kg bare about 400-500gr heavier than a T3 But it did the job. I was just lucky enough to score some good deals on 2nd Hand Tikkas. Ild probably go Howa if i was to buy new for way cheaper, or else a little more and get a browning.
    Mauser308 likes this.

Tikka barrels are the straightest and the most uniform of the industry ( I am talking mass produced guns, not custom barrel makers. And same for Sako barrels as they come from the same plant).
    Their action and stock have constant dimensions. I have seen 6 or 7 remington 700 receivers from different eras next to each others, and there were not two of the exact same diameter or not uniform along their overall length ( it is important for a regular and even contact with the inlet of a stock or of a more modern chassis system . Of course a bedding helps to deal with those imperfections).
    By the way, there are going to be some new tikkas with factory fluted bolt. Check their website.

Many of the latest Rem 700s have no primary extraction due to the bolt handle being fitted wrong. Just wouldn't happen with a Tikka

Handled a left hand stainless wood SAKO over Christmas period...got to shoot it too.....very very very nice rifle all around.the stock was well finshed,whole rilfe was just sleak....nice price tag but.