Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Mrs wants another 22lr

northdude
    yep thats why we are looking at the older brnos etc nothing wrong with a good quality sh 22 we dont need to jump on the first one that pops up

I have a cz 452 that I love. It seems like a wellmade rifle. I guess though for something you can pimp a ruger American is infinitely modifiable including trigger.. Rumoured to be accurate. I think they also do a "long range" variant.

blr-22 !
    ok its a l/a but a tack driver

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by poodle View Post
    I have a cz 452 that I love. It seems like a wellmade rifle. I guess though for something you can pimp a ruger American is infinitely modifiable including trigger.. Rumoured to be accurate. I think they also do a "long range" variant.
    Not into the rifles that you can accessorize. We like them to shoot how they are supposed to out of the box and take them hunting not play dressups with them
    gadgetman and Steve123 like this.

Little marlin 22LRs accurate with microgroove barrels - all under 0.5" at 50m - and the heavy barrel variants may do a little better. Think also about Savage heavy barrel 22s. CZ/Brno always good value and secondhand no issue.

I also thought the Norinco 332 was somewhat ugly - upright pistolgrip in target style. My opinion changed instantly however after popping four consecutive groups down range at 100m. All under 1", with average 0.6". Eyeballs nearly popped out. If she's starting into comps and seeking accuracy, aesthetics is always secondary to performance.
    mimms2 likes this.

northdude
    yea i know what you mean about aesthetics but its always a bonus if the money you work hard for gets you something that appeals to your own eye and not everyone elses. i guess we could always push the budget close to 1k that would get her into a cz. You dont see that many marlins around

northdude
    might have to go for a drive and check out a howa unless there some in auck

Ruger american rimfire target model in the for sale section for 7 hundy?

northdude
    saw that depends where it is

Yeah. No location on his avatar
    northdude likes this.

Fit is everything for target shooting, 3P etc and women different body shapes, shorter LOP / arms and stature generally. You want her to try a few different makes i reckon and let that drive the decision. Pick good candidates and dont shy from trimming a stock if needed.
    mudgripz, zimmer and northdude like this.

northdude
    yep got a chainsaw

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    Yea they nice think she has about 700 to spend
    I am guessing that if you are lucky, you may still find old stock new 452 in some more obscure shops for around that price.

Otherwise, you cannot get anything good for 700 new. CZ 457 variants are 1K+, Tikka T1 is 1K+, Weihrauch 1300, Annie ~2k for 64 action and 3k for 54 action.

CZ455 can be had for around $800~850. They are luck of the draw. If you are lucky you get a accurate one, if you are unlucky you get a so-so one.

In terms of second hand, decent condition cz 452s come up for sale for about $500 every now and then. A few months ago one was sold here for about $500. My friend also recently bought one on trademe for 500. For $500 second hand CZ452s are a good deal for buying off a stranger.

If your wife can put up with single shot, you can find good Annie 54 action target rifles from 70s and 80s. you can find them selling for 600~700, but they do not come up often. They have far superior trigger and action than anything less than $1500 today. I do not know how viable it is to change the barrel on them though. You may get one that had shot 300k bullets and lost some accuracy.
    northdude likes this.

You're right about luck of draw with the 455. I got an absolute lemon. Everything about it was nice, it just wouldn't shoot decent groups.

Tried everything short of changing the barrel all to no avail.

Gone and good riddance.
    rewa likes this.

northdude
    ok i did have reservations about cz and knowing our luck we will get the lemon so that ones crossed off the list probably be better with a zastava