Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Need some suggestions fella on a special gift/family heirloom firearm...what would yo

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man thats a fancy looking tikka
    JoshC likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Good stuff Josh, and Lindsay to the rescue again
    I bought my Deluxe and many other rifles and guns over the years off him, he's helped me out a few times.

Your Mate will love it.
    JoshC likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

As to new rifles in this price range , as in hunting rifles , that are already in or ready available ? , not so much .

If you go 1/2 custom , ie nice action new barrel/stock etc , you could have something REAL nice , classy .

I would go for a fully wooded mannlicher carbine type look , ie a old Sako carbine look or a Mauser 66 .

But with a modern twist , the make the wood a laminate , case colour the action & end cap , high gloss blue on the rest .

Calibre up to you , the Mauser 66 would have one other feature , 2 part takedown stock , and had to say no to 7x57 cal in the 66 .

QD scope mounts for both , .

Don’t wanna get anything that’s just a faze ie can’t by ammo in 10 years
    6.5x55 would be good it’s been arround over 100 years so far and only getting more popular

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    So I have been asked to find a nice firearm for a mate for a special gift. Something he can have forever, obviously use, and pass down to kids.

Could be a shotgun or rifle. Has to be new, and easily obtainable here in NZ, at short notice. Budget is up to $7k.

I was thinking maybe a Sako Bavarian in .222 or 6.5x55 topped with a Swarovski scope. Something he can take on afternoon hunts. Soft shooting for kids ... when he finally has some

I did think Blaser, but then he’d have to buy optics to match - the rifle would soak up most of that budget.

The other thought was a nice under and over, he does like bird shooting , doesn’t do a hell of a lot of it, but has mentioned in occasion he’d like an under and over.

Thoughts and suggestions guys??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    reloaders supplies advertising a Shultz and Larsen in I think 6.5 creedmore wont do a lot better

Quote Originally Posted by ernadrey11 View Post
    My grandparents' wedding anniversary is coming, and I can't decide on a gift. My grandfather is a former military, and my grandmother is a cook.
    chilly bin cant go wrong he can put his rum or gin in it and she can put the sausages

For presents I get a really nice knife made and get it inscribed with the persons name
    Gibo, XR500 and Barry the hunter like this.

Given that Josh's original post was 2018. I reckon they might have it sorted by now

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    JoshC, Shearer and pennyless like this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ernadrey11 View Post
    My grandparents' wedding anniversary is coming, and I can't decide on a gift. My grandfather is a former military, and my grandmother is a cook.

Do you understand why it's so hard to choose a gift for them? My mom says I should give them 2 different gifts, one for my grandma and one for my grandpa, but if my grandma finds out I got my grandpa a firearm, she will stop talking to me. Lol. I decided not to risk it and get them a universal gift, like these gift baskets: www.jetgiftbaskets.com . But if I give them a basket like this, my grandpa will stop talking to me. Lol. I think I'm in trouble.
    Gibo likes this.

Toz 22 with 4 x tasco. History right there!