Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: New build 30/284 Remington

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    I have a .308 win target barrel ex Din Collins, rechambered to .300 win mag. It shoots 180s just fine.

You may be surprised. Mine is 1:10 twist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Massive difference between 10 & 13 twist

Well i been to the range, and i got a bit of a surprise. The first thing i found was i achieved my 3000 fps goal and then some. From looking at all the forums i could find on the subject about powders and what speeds to look for the general consensus was to use 30-06 data as they are very similar. So i went to the hornady book which suggested reloader 17 was the quickest with 61 grains being the max load for 3000fps in a 30-06. So with that in mind we started at 55 grains and got 3170 fps but the groups was not that flash 1.148 so moving up in half grain lots things got moving till we got to 57.5 and 3220fps and a 0.562 group to say i was rapt was an understatement . I still had few more groups to shoot and try, so seeing no signs of pressure we carried on but the groups started to open up till we got to 59 and i got two to .4 but then i threw the last one to 1.4 and that was at 3303 fps . So with that i mind i have decided to load to 57.5 grains 3220 fps as it shoots at a half MOA and thats more than enough to get me out to 700 which is the the limit i have set myself. The other plus was Phil threaded my rifle to fit one of his suppressors and i tried a couple of groups with and it made the rifle a pussy to shoot . Mind you even without it ,it is still a very easy rifle to shoot. As you can tell i really rapt with my new cannon, and i think even with a 18 ich barrel and a can and the right twist barrel to handle a wider range of 30cal bullets this would make a really good super bushpig . I might have to up grade the Mark 4 next and get some new glass to see how far i can go with this one.

Sounds like a great result.
    28" barrel with a suppressor must be a bit of a handful though? Not something you'd be carrying around stalking with I imagine.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Cool. the 284 is a joy to shoot, no need for suppressors or brakes in terms of recoil even in light weight short bbl set ups.

Yeah she is a bit much with the can on ,but its an option. I would most like put in my pack and take it out for long shots .I certainly wont be worrying about in the bush . Plus if it starts to piss me off too much i can always shorten the barrel.
    Shearer likes this.

Good to see a custom build that comes to a happy ending
    mikee and Shearer like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    Good to see a custom build that comes to a happy ending
    +1
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

1 in 10" is unusually fast for an NRA barrel ,especially if it's a Din vintage one. Most as KG says average about 13" with 12 being as fast as they tended to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    1 in 10" is unusually fast for an NRA barrel ,especially if it's a Din vintage one. Most as KG says average about 13" with 12 being as fast as they tended to go.
    It might be 1:12, I could be confusing it with some of my other .30 cal tubes. I will check. However the point I was trying to make is, that with the extra velocity from the larger case you maybe able to stabilise some heavier 180 gn pills, and it is worth loading up a few flat base ones to test it out.

I tried some 168 eldm's and it was not best . I only got a 2 inch group. I have been more focused on getting 155's sorted as i think they will more than enough for most things. This build has been a big leaning curve and if i was to do it again i would look at a 1/10 barrel and shorten the barrel to 18 and can it and have a real bush pig