Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New to hunting, advice required :)

I think that's a good call:
    600 is a sensible limit for 6.5mm on game. Competitions/Targets it's a different story.

-Hunting, the higher the BC/heavier the projectile the better.

As he said: .338's are the business for this. Although, many people have good success with the heavier 7mm projectiles (162-180 grain).

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I really miss that rifle James!
    -Even though I paid you for it, I still feel like I owe you a Beer

It's a great rifle- you'll have to shoot it again one day.

I went with the 140 Bergers, it liked them too (from memory you were using 130s). 2213sc is pushing them just over 2900. Not too hot. It's still going well, and is knocking on 900 rounds now.

You'll be pleased to know it hasn't been a safe queen. Has become my go to rifle (despite the weight- which I actually like). It's taught me a lot about longer-range, and I've taken it hunting often.
    It's taken 9 Deer, including my personal best: A heavy bodied 14 point Red at 385yds.

-Maybe you'll have a sweet reunion at a forum shoot one day....I'll set you two up on dusk with a box of handloads, and then go around the corner so neither of you have to feel guilty.
    mucko likes this.

Mate you wont be taking a 1000m rifle bush bashing. You'll knock your scope around, get shit on the lens, you'll want something short that can hit hard.

You may be better picking up a cheap rifle for bush bashing then another for your long range paper punching.

I shot a goat at 500m recently and it was something like a 3 foot holdover! At 1000 I don't even want to think about it. My 7mm will do it... but it's not a rifle set up for that kind of shooting. Most guys I know that shoot out to that range using bigger calibers (.338 Lapua, 7mm Rem Mag etc) with massively high magnification expensive scopes, mounts that are angled.

You can be sure of one thing. The scope you'll need will be worth a lot more than your gun

Hey fullas - Ruger Mini in .223. (For goats) Thoughts?

Keep in mind I am smaller than you guys, but would this rifle annoy the shit out of me with poor accuracy? My local H&F dude reckons not, but he's a salesman
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

R93
    There are a few accurate ones about Dougie but they are rare. However for shooting goats within reasonable ranges one would be fine.
    They are in my experience, functionally reliable.
    I think I would get a bolt action for a start. Hard not to find one that is accurate and you will learn some fire discipline along the way. (get away from Army yipee's)
    A semi would be useful for culling. I had/used one in 7.62 x 39 for waro. It was alright but was replaced with an AR platform pretty quick.

Get a .308. Good trusty caliber and plenty of factory ammo around if you don't want to reload. Huge knowledge base as it is used in longrange comp shoots. Is more than capable for 1000yd paper punching and bucks the wind a bit better than the smaller projectiles. Very cheap to run and is very kind on barrels. Easy to sell again unlike some of the more obscure chamberings. Capable on game out to 6-700m with a good setup and did I mention, cheap to run.

Some people call it boring though.

I have found the savages to be excellent rifles for their money, especially in terms of accuracy and trigger.

I am only in the market for something around 1k so not really sure where to go then! Like I have said before, I enjoyed my friend's Tikka 308 but I could see it getting pretty heavy after a long day and I imagine that would be way out of my price range.

Also - any recomendations of rifle shops around Wellington? So far I've only been to H&F.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    There are a few accurate ones about Dougie but they are rare. However for shooting goats within reasonable ranges one would be fine.
    They are in my experience, functionally reliable.
    Yeahhhh with spending all my pocket money I kind of don't want to get something "just kinda good" What'dya reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Yeahhhh with spending all my pocket money I kind of don't want to get something "just kinda good" What'dya reckon?
    Why get a mini 14 when you can get an SKS for about 1/4 the price? They'll both shoot practically similar (doesn't matter off a bench, because that's never how you use it) and it'll only set you back $299 if GC are having one of their sales (which happens fairly regularly).

You wont get a mini 14 for $1,000 (at least not a new one, which are supposed to be much improved accuracy wise). I think the ranch rifles (basic ones) are about $1,400, and that's without any scope or anything.

On the last goat hunting trip I was on it was't the fact my rifle is a bolt that was the problem, it was magazine size
    Savage1 and Dougie like this.

Well to start with, I don't even know what an SKS is and that's why I have you lovely lot to ask about these things

The mini with scope 3-9x40 was $1200 at my local.

Dougie, an SKS will serve you well as a closer range goat hunting rifle. I'd recommend adding a Bushnell TRS25 to it with a BC Tactical scout mount. The Factory open sights are basic but perfectly serviceable. There is always tech sights if you want better irons. Gun City sell them for $300 when they have a sale, probably one of the few decent deals they do.

If you get a Mini you will have a good rifle for the purpose. Adding an Accustrut is inexpensive and will improve accuracy significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanpire View Post
    You think the 6.5x55 would get decent penetration at 1000m? A 22"-24" barrel is a give in but with such a light bullet Ive read of very mixed results. Thanks for all the really interesting comments thus far.

What does the community think a viable 1000 yard rifle might be? calibre, barrel length, etc?
    If its only paper your wanting to penetrate at 1000m the 6.5x55 will have plenty of penetration
    Depending on your load etc almost any of the calibres you mentioned will drop a deer to 600m.
    I have 223, 7mm08 and 7mm rem mag. The 223 I have used on steel to 800 (ran out of elevation) 7mm08 I have only fired on steel to 800 but will go further and will drop a deer at 600 (has taken a few at over 450 now but yet to require a longer shot - compare the ballistics of the 6.5 and 7mm08, not too different) and 7mm mag I have shot steel with over 1000, have only shot animals to 450 with it so far though

[QUOTE=Tussock;29934][Oddly not bad at all to carry aye? Weird, weights a quarter of a ton, but It was fine to wander round with. I held the barrel and sat the 3" flat foreend on my shoulder and it was comfy.

Agreed- I think it's just that the balance/big flats on the stock are good despite the weight. I've put sling studs on the side of the forend/stock, so it sits flat against the back on a 3 point sling- works well.

With those slow 130s it put 5 from 5 into one ragged hole, every single time. I shot two, 3 shot groups with it at nearly 1200m that were not much over 6"
    I can't shoot well enough to consistently do ragged holes, but it never goes over 0.75 (unless I really cock up). And the WORST group it ever shot in load development was 1MOA -didn't like A-Maxes for some reason.

One day I might just get another. My Sako does not shoot as well, but close enough I couldn't justify the Savage. When I run out of things I "need" I will get another.

Make sure you email me if you decide to part with it! Also, if your sick of it when the barrels done. (wishful thinking).
    I Will do. I was thinking a re-barrel in straight 284 with a long throat could be nice for 162/168 gr pills.....but it's been so good with 6.5 it would be hard to overlook leaving it as that.

I'm not sure I could shoot it again. It would upset me!I understand what you mean- I'm worried that when it needs a re-barrel it will never be the same again. Or that I may never get so lucky with another rifle (accuracy wise).
    /QUOTE]

Thanks for all the really good advice chaps, I think a 6.5x55 will be the business, the big off putting factor of the 284 is that I can only seem to find NORMA brass and the factory loads are the coin! I will be doing all the usual bedding etc and investing in a better scope (I thought 1500 was alot:S)... Looking forward to playing with custom loads etc!

Wait, I hope like hell you didn't pay anything near $1500 for a Millet scope.