Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New Oceania Defence Ltd suppressor

res
    The market is probably bigger for something that fits a a2 flash hidder if you look at the international market.

Me, I just want it so I can put a can on my service rifle spec AR for when I'm not using it in competition-as I'm not into taking the flash hidder on and off to do so. This would probably result in me selling another rifle that would become a double up use wise. Makes the can look cheep.

Of course if I was building a rifle up and didn't care about it meeting nzsra service class spec (and this is probably most nz people's situation) then a purpose built brake/qd interface would be a much better option

I could imagine ending up with both options if both got made
    Using Tapatalk

I would preferentially like a can that fits a purpose designed flash hider, but since that was never mentioned as being on the cards, only muzzle brake, A2 FH is the next best thing

Flash hider on a semi is E Cat, Muzzle Break is A Cat. Market for A Cat version may be bigger in NZ? International market for flash hider version probably bigger. Tough call - make both options available.

Yeah it's understandable reasoning, I just don't want to ever be anywhere fucking near a muzzle brake
    res likes this.

ODL
    I plan on making both options. Each will have benefits. I made huge progress on the A2 last week and was all but done with the design. I like to let the idea settle in my head for a while before making it to see if I missed anything. Since Gimp pushed for the A2, I have changed the original design from the KAC fh and it is better all around including better for the KAC fh if people want that . It will use some of the technology from the brake mount for secondary latching and for camming. It should have enough fore/ aft tolerance for a variety of mil spec flash hiders.

The wait to produce actual parts has been good for the design since it will allow more cross use of like items and methods for manufacturing between both methods. The brake will have some advantages for high use (full auto) within a titanium can. The A2 will need an inconel can (available in two months) for high use since it will not provide the protection of the first two baffles. The Brake design should be able to work for up to magnum calibers as the lugs are fairly large. This will need thorough testing before moving up to QD 338 cans though.

I really appreciate all the feedback and suggestions from the various people in the development of this product. While it may have slowed the release date, I believe the product will be better as a result.
    Oceania-Defence.com

The QD mounts can be made with either a brake , flash hider or clean cut or closed straight section , thats 4 options to suit every body , AU does the 1st 3 types , this allows for different countries laws etc .
    And for personal choice as well .
    Me I look on it purely as a means to mount a can , so in NZ I just look for it to be legal on the particular type of firearm ( ie a A cat then its #1,3,4 ) nothing more , as to std flash hiders , they are designed ONLY to do that function , not serve as a connection/fitting to mount a suppressor on , and thats the rub , I like purpose built over a compromise .

Someone in the UK asked me about what I thought of the AU borelock brake , as its 338cal and not 30cal , he wanted to run on a 308 , I said I donot care at all , because I brought it as a locking QD mount , and the can is 30cal , and I will always use it with the can mounted 100% , so to me the effientency of the oversized exit hole in the brake , meant nothing to me , as the can is the correct bore size .

Anyway , crack on ODL , and make some cans for us to buy .

RE the 300WM model , if you are not going to make a mid size can between the 308 & 338LM , then maybe a easy design option is offer the 338LM size can with 30 cal bore for those who want a larger can to make the 300WM very soft shooting , gives the choice as to wether they run the 308can or the bigger can , the big can with 30cal option would be what I would buy for my 300WM ,

Later Chris

Here's a couple of pics of the AI Tac brakes , single & double chamber brakes , these donot have a locking mech , then a couple of pics of the Ase Utra borelock fittings , one with nothing forward of thread , and another with a brake forward of thread for suppressor , these have a locking mech which stops them un-screwing them selves from the firearm .

ODL
    OK I made some progress. The new AI can that will be good for any 30 cal over the AI Brake has gained some weight and is now 240 grams. It extends 3mm further aft over the brake and uses a second oring. It is double walled in the first section and other areas are thicker and reinforced for a VERY solid can. The 338 will be the same only scaled up a bit.

Next to design will be the brake mounted similar to the ones Chris pictured above and these will have a ratchet feature as well as another feature available for absolute security.

The A2 FH mount is printing now and will hopefully be a next to final design that is useful for serious testing. This unit required another 7 designs this month and was a lot harder than I expected to get all the features I wanted to work properly. In titanium this one is around 195 grams. Inconel will be available in a month.
    308 and res like this.
    Oceania-Defence.com

Hi ODL ,

Put me down for two of the new AI 30cal cans , 1 question , are you going to put a " ON " with arrow direction on the can , PM or email me when its ready to print .

Want one with the AI brake mount for use on my AI AW 308 , and one with your ratchet brake in 5/8x24 thread for a 300BLK rifle .

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by ChrisF; 29-04-2015 at 11:06 AM.

Will also want a 223 can with your mount for the std AR15 thread .

ODL
    I put "ON" with an arrow 180 degrees apart so that it is visible from either side when mounting. It is also raised so that you can feel the arrow if you don't have gloves on.

I am running one now and if it fits the brake properly with the two orings, I will print a run of ten. Do you have an AI in 300 mag as well? I would like to get the sound of this on a magnum at some point. It should be the same as the other one on a 308 but with far better sound at the shooters ear.

Cheers
    Oceania-Defence.com

Just PMed you

ODL, is the Inconel sintered in the same manner as the Titanium?

As far as I know , its 3D printed just like the TI , price is simlar to TI , BUT I think ODL are using it to stand up to fullauto fire , as you know Inconel is a high strength SS thats hard to machine and is used in the US for fullauto M4/M16s .

ODL
    Cheers Chris, pm back.

Moutere, yes the method is the same but on a different machine. It is really useful for full auto since it maintains its strength well into 650c range. It is about twice as heavy as Ti and a bit heavier than SS. When a can gets very hot you have to design for a lower yield strength of the red hot material. With inco, that yield is still quite strong and subsequently you can thin out some areas of the can based on the better yield. The can will still be heavier than a ti can, but will stand up to far more abuse. Ti works well up to semi auto temperatures.

It really isn't sintering, though. It was called sintering in the beginning because it uses the same powdered material. The process is far different. It is more accurate to call it selective laser melting which effectively "welds" the entire can into a single piece. Sintering is more of a mold, heat and pressure process.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Oceania-Defence.com