Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: New vortex offering

Bugger...so basically Leupold made a great long range scope with sensible reticles, then totally fcuked it up just for the heck of it!
    Kiwi Greg, mikee and BRADS like this.

Hey guys you know that arguing about the best optic clarity wise is pointless once you get over a certain price range.

Everyone's eyes are different and will pick up / respond to differences in the glass.

Without lab equipment you can't actually measure the glass quality. So just get your hands on the scopes you are looking at and line them up together to see what you like, take into consideration cost and ergonomics and your away laughing.

I respect a lot of the guys opinions on here, they have the experience and have tried most scopes out.

But at the end of the day you will be using it so your own opinion matters most
    Blaser, R93, Konev and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    It's cds Matt but not a true cds as it capped like the 6-24 vx6, it's not weather proof with the cap off and it's a very small little turret.
    I don't like the caps, I think the thread is to fine and it's something to get lost,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Are you saying that the CDS turret is not exposed, it's covered by the cap?
    I thought that Leupold had recently started offereing the TMOA 3-18's with exposed MOA turret's on both the windage and elevation turrets, and you have options for a normal CDS. Like this.

Name:  38953d1437781063-leupold-vx6-new-options-50110d1437604336-leupold-vx6-cds-repeat-ability-vx6-tac.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  33.2 KB
    Matt2308 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Are you saying that the CDS turret is not exposed, it's covered by the cap?
    I thought that Leupold had recently started offereing the TMOA 3-18's with exposed MOA turret's on both the windage and elevation turrets, and you have options for a normal CDS. Like this.

Attachment 50576
    That would be mint but if just released then we probably have a 3 month wait

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    BRADS likes this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I have a VX6 3-18x44 with illuminated Boone and Crocket and true CDS, its a great scope, very nice glass, lightweight (for its size and features), dials perfect, love the B&C reticle (although I would probably only ever use it in a quick shot at an animal that's about to move off as I just prefer to dial everything). The only thing I could say that could be improved on is the feel of the clicks, they are slightly mushy compared to some other scopes, even my VX3 with CDS had nicer clicks. I thought maybe it was just mine but have picked up a few VX6's in stores now and they are all like that.

Had a vx6, hd5, vx3, z5 with ballistic turret on the table today at hunting and fishing

Hd5 has the best feeling turrets followed by vx3, vx6 and then lastly the Swarovski

Only downside that I could see if he hd5 was the weight, it certainly feels a lot heavier especially cause it's only a 1" tube.

Swaro noticeably crisper as expected, vx6 and zeiss on level playing field and vx3 looked terrible to be honest, I was a bit surprised, it is 1/2 the cost of the next cheapest tho and this was in the middle of the day but you could tell the difference.

Didn't have a vortex to compare unfortunately but I think I will end up getting one
    199p likes this.

I agree with Perazzi, Considering a Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 or 5-25x50 is only $1500-1700 its hands down the best value scope for dialing.
    Even the comment on VX3i glass, its not impressive.

R93
    I got an HD5 5-25 off Brads.
    He probably sold it to fund a fishing trip with Philipo😆

Heavy for a 1" tube especially in a blaser mount. I rate it. Especially for the price.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    BRADS likes this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    I got an HD5 5-25 off Brads.
    He probably sold it to fund a fishing trip with Philipo😆

Heavy for a 1" tube especially in a blaser mount. I rate it. Especially for the price.

How do you find the reticle? I had an HD5 3-15 with a plex and found it too thick for my liking.

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    How do you find the reticle? I had an HD5 3-15 with a plex and found it too thick for my liking.

Can't say I have noticed or it has bothered me. Maybe because I only use on a high power setting, shooting 300 and over.
    Might be a different story if I used it for varmiting.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post

Ive got a 3-15, I've only used it to say 400 ish meters but even on 12 (or 10 power, cant remember) power its plenty thin...

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  565.7 KB

I rate the Sightron SIII scopes for dialling. Glass is excellent and can be had for bloody good prices. Only real down side for me is weight... I can live without zero stop but the clicks on the turrets are crisp and accurate.
    steven likes this.

I done quite a lot of research on scopes in the mid-price point, ie around $1500~2000 and time and time again I see reviewers saying the Vortex have great features but at best mid-range glass. My conclusion was as a brand they do not make my shopping list, unless they fix that fundamental issue.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    I rate the Sightron SIII scopes for dialling. Glass is excellent and can be had for bloody good prices. Only real down side for me is weight... I can live without zero stop but the clicks on the turrets are crisp and accurate.
    Totally agree, I have never seen anything but praise for sightron's glass. I was going to buy a 8x32x56 mil/mil this month then we find my Mrs needs root canal work so my saving is wiped out again I suspect. oh well maybe xmas.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

I had one of those. Bloody impressive even at full power. It does lose a little of its eye relief though, but you can see everything in great detail at that power.