Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Fssprecision
  • 1 Post By 55six
  • 1 Post By thejavelin

Thread: Nielsen Sonic suppressors - bushing info required

Nielsen Sonic suppressors - bushing info required

Does anyone know what thread the bushing is on a Nielsen sonic suppressor?
    I'm either trying to hunt a new bushing down or going to get a new one made - too much gap in mine.
    Any help appreciated.

Cheers

I have fitted many, you do realise there should be a good clearance between the barrel and the bush. A great many barrels are externally not concentric to the bore, you don’t want exterior contact with the bushing tipping the suppressor.
    Jaco Goosen likes this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Fssprecision View Post
    I have fitted many, you do realise there should be a good clearance between the barrel and the bush. A great many barrels are externally not concentric to the bore, you don’t want exterior contact with the bushing tipping the suppressor.
    Do you thread the muzzle concentric to the bore or the exterior of the barrel? I’d have thought the latter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It absolutely has to be threaded concentric to the bore, the projectile has to travel concentrically through the suppressor, really doesn't matter what the outside diameter of the barrel is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fssprecision View Post
    I have fitted many, you do realize there should be a good clearance between the barrel and the bush. A great many barrels are externally not concentric to the bore, you don’t want exterior contact with the bushing tipping the suppressor.
    When you say 'good' clearance - I've read that .4-.5mm or there about is enough.
    I've been shooting suppressors a while, and had one without a rear bushing and could not get it to shoot, constant flyers. Fitted bushing and all is fine.
    I generally like mine snug with enough to slide a piece of paper wrapped around the barrel down the end of the suppressor past the bushing.

Current setup has a 15mm external on the barrel but a 18.6mm hole in the bushing, it seems too much - but that might be just a mind game.

consider......a couple of wraps of insulation tape......maybe.......

I think I have plenty of different size bushes in stock. Get in touch with the size you want.
    Jaco Goosen likes this.

I generally go for the bushing being 0.5-0.8mm larger than the barrel. But when fitted you want to see an even gap between bush and bore, the bush does not want to tip the suppressor. I have known many long range shooters remove the bush to help cooling with no adverse effects…

Quote Originally Posted by 55six View Post
    I think I have plenty of different size bushes in stock. Get in touch with the size you want.
    Absolute legend - I'm sorted
    Always be paying it forward, as the good book says - treat others how you wish to be treated.

@
    55six likes this.