Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: NZ Wide Ammunition Shortage??

I remember the same sort of thing before the last US election, and the one before that. It'll get better, regardless of who wins. I remember not being able to lay hands on CCI subs for months, and other times the same thing with 17gr 17hmr vmax.

I think this will be more reminiscent of the post - Sandy Hook panic buy to be honest. It took years for supply to stabilize.

Pav
    I was pushing sh*t uphill to find any 222 ammo at both Gun City and Hunting & Fishing here in Hamilton on the weekend, both places laughed when I asked if they had any .22 cci subs but managed to get some fiocchi instead.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The rumour is not true or should I say it's facearse bullshit. Just received the message below -

"Dear SSANZ Members,

You may have heard about this rumour circulating on Facebook:
    I have just been very reliably informed that the new employees for the next set of confiscation events have been instructed that along with the pump action rifles that have already been banned, the following will be included:

1 Semi-automatic shotguns
    2. Bolt-action rifles of calibres greater than 300 Win. Mag.

Never think your firearm is not going to be affected. It will. Just give this government time.

COLFO has sought confirmation from Police and received this reply:

The post is incorrect on both points. Section 2A of the Arms Act, as shown below, makes it clear what impact there is:

1. Semi-automatic shotguns (yellow highlight) and these have already been dealt with in the first buy-back.
    2. You will not see any reference below to a bolt action calibre.

Arms Act 1983 No 44 (as at 25 June 2020), Public Act 2A Meaning of prohibited firearm – New Zealand Legislation

2AMeaning of prohibited firearm
    (1) In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires, prohibited firearm—

(a) means any of the following firearms:
    (i) a semi-automatic firearm, other than—
    (A) a specified semi-automatic firearm:
    (B) a semi-automatic shotgun with a non-detachable tubular magazine or magazines that are capable of holding no more than 5 cartridges commensurate with that firearm’s chamber size:
    (C) a small semi-automatic pistol:
    (D) a semi-automatic pistol (not being a small semi-automatic pistol) in the possession or under the control of a person referred to in subsection (3):
    (ii) a pump-action shotgun that is capable of being used with a detachable magazine:
    (iii) a pump-action shotgun that has a non-detachable tubular magazine or magazines that are capable of holding more than 5 cartridges commensurate with that firearm’s chamber size:
    (iv) a centrefire pump-action rifle that is capable of being used with a detachable magazine:
    (v) a centrefire pump-action rifle that has 1 or more non-detachable magazines (tubular or otherwise) that are capable of holding more than 10 cartridges commensurate with that firearm’s chamber size; and
    (b) includes any other firearm declared by Order in Council made under section 74A to be a prohibited firearm for the purposes of this Act.

(2) In subsection (1)(a)(i)(A), specified semi-automatic firearm means a semi-automatic firearm—

(a) that is capable of firing only 0.22 calibre or lower rimfire cartridges; and
    (b) that has a magazine, whether or not detachable or otherwise externally fed, that is capable of holding no more than 10 cartridges commensurate with the firearm’s chamber size; and
    (c) that does not have a lower receiver that is able to be attached to a centrefire upper receiver so as to result in a firearm that is able to function. "

Secretary
    Sporting Shooters Association of New Zealand Inc
    PO Box 275
    Whangarei 0140
    ssanzsec@gmail.com
    SSANZ Secretary has in my view been misusing his position for several months. The nature of his numerous I'll informed political outbursts has brought the organisation into ill repute. His outright despise for New Conservative is now reaching the the point of obsessive and an embarrassment to all SSANZ members.

Now he's best buddies with the Police to undermine the firearms spokesperson for New Conservative. Perhaps you could explain how you managed to achieve such an expeditious reply from Police.

Time to resign, you're nothing short of an embarrassment to both SSANZ members, but the ACT Party to whom you purport to respresent.

Another quality shitpost from InRangeTV with a solution to our problem! https://youtu.be/KXJEEQNrL-Q

Quote Originally Posted by Ditchjumper View Post
    SSANZ Secretary has in my view been misusing his position for several months. The nature of his numerous I'll informed political outbursts has brought the organisation into ill repute. His outright despise for New Conservative is now reaching the the point of obsessive and an embarrassment to all SSANZ members.

Now he's best buddies with the Police to undermine the firearms spokesperson for New Conservative. Perhaps you could explain how you managed to achieve such an expeditious reply from Police.

Time to resign, you're nothing short of an embarrassment to both SSANZ members, but the ACT Party to whom you purport to respresent.
    Interesting the Police's speedy reply only referred to current legislation. But the legislation is not needed for a quick Order In Council once re-elected. I'd not feel that safe.
    timattalon likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I was pushing sh*t uphill to find any 222 ammo at both Gun City and Hunting & Fishing here in Hamilton on the weekend, both places laughed when I asked if they had any .22 cci subs but managed to get some fiocchi instead.
    Greetings Pav,
    I am sorry to tell you this but the major companies mostly stopped chambering the .222 Remington decades ago. This had nothing to do with performance as it is ideal as a varmint cartridge. It could not compete with with the .223 especially once the latter received a dose of goat glands in the form of a faster twist. There are fortunately a lot of .222 Rem about and those that have them have a treasure. Although you should not have to wait too long for ammo to reappear now may be a good time to start handloading if you are not already.
    Regards Grandpamac.

For Auckland based shooters, I have lots of .22 brands on offer, but not large quantities of any particular brand. And plenty of cheap plinking ammo. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    For Auckland based shooters, I have lots of .22 brands on offer, but not large quantities of any particular brand. And plenty of cheap plinking ammo. PM me.
    And I can do something similar for Chch based shooters. I had a rummage through our stock and so far have located a small supply of bricks of 22LR. I will start a FS thread rather than post here though.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....4/#post1061658
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Interesting the Police's speedy reply only referred to current legislation. But the legislation is not needed for a quick Order In Council once re-elected. I'd not feel that safe.
    Greetings Cordite,
    I certainly would not lose any sleep over it. It always helps to look at the source. The New Conservative Party is the old Conservative Party started by Colin Craig (remember him?) renamed. The party has had two turns at bat in the elections and scored two ducks. Currently they are sitting at 0.8% in the polls so a hat trick of ducks looks likely. Looking through their candidates I find only one name that rings a bell and can,t remember why. Does this sound like a reliable source to you?
    Rest Easy Grandpamac.
    199p, tetawa, zimmer and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings Cordite,
    I certainly would not lose any sleep over it. It always helps to look at the source. The New Conservative Party is the old Conservative Party started by Colin Craig (remember him?) renamed. The party has had two turns at bat in the elections and scored two ducks. Currently they are sitting at 0.8% in the polls so a hat trick of ducks looks likely. Looking through their candidates I find only one name that rings a bell and can,t remember why. Does this sound like a reliable source to you?
    Rest Easy Grandpamac.
    Cheers Grandpamac,

Resting easy myself as nought bigger than 7.7mm in my safe.

It is well-known that Cahill is unhappy with what he calls "sniper rifles" out there, so I don't get it what is so incredible about >300WinMag falling victim. We are still to be faced with the 3rd, 4th and 5th tranche of firearms reforms. If not gunning for "sniper rifles", what then? As for semi shotties, PM did want to ban the firearms the Chch gunman used, not just limit their capacity.

It is not safe to dismiss someone who is a committed sports shooter and an IPSC champion in recent years and an investor of millions in the sport as an unreliable source on something important to the shooting community ... just because they are standing for parliament in a certain political party. If Victoria O'Brien says her source is reliable, people better take heed. There is no peace, so let's not go round pretending there is.
    timattalon likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

There is no doubt in my mind caliber restrictions of some sort will be enacted soon as the slightly thicker part of the wedge of disarmament by 2030 .
    Hell we even have a minister for disarmament.
    But what is greater than 300winmag?
    Is it energy at 1000m? Is it case capacity? Is it wind drift? Is it case head size? Is it recoil? Or is simply bore size? Or is it a case capacity to bore size ratio? Is it barrels over a certain twist rate?.
    Any which way you look at it you can be sure we will be shafted again.
    Beaker, Cordite, outlander and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

@Pav I will send you a PM

My greater concern if there were to be a calibre/energy limit would be how the classic big bores would be treated - everything from 35 Whelen up....for me it would affect 9.3x62, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby....
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HandH View Post
    My greater concern if there were to be a calibre/energy limit would be how the classic big bores would be treated - everything from 35 Whelen up....for me it would affect 9.3x62, 375 H&H, 416 Rigby....
    Yes. All cartridges commonly used by criminals and terrorists alike
    Cordite and Jewcati like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.