Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Pommy
  • 1 Post By Stocky

Thread: Oceania Defence Suppressors - 6.5prc magnum or not?

Oceania Defence Suppressors - 6.5prc magnum or not?

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if 6.5prc is actually a magnum? I know many consider it as such but looking to buy an OD suppressor and don't want to spend more ($300 and a fair bit more weight) on the magnum version if it isn't actually required for it. Am looking at an Alpine Hunter 7.62 insertless one.

Cheers

It's got a similar amount of powder as a WSM, and uses the same magnum bolt face. The amount of gas and pressure at the muzzle will be getting up there so I would consider it to be one, yes.

I use a standard DPT on mine. It's fine - but I have to accept that it's not going to be as quiet and may not last quite so long.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    It's got a similar amount of powder as a WSM, and uses the same magnum bolt face. The amount of gas and pressure at the muzzle will be getting up there so I would consider it to be one, yes.

I use a standard DPT on mine. It's fine - but I have to accept that it's not going to be as quiet and may not last quite so long.
    It's way less powder than a wsm at only 68 grains almost identical to a 30-06. Around 10-15% less depending on the wsm
    veitnamcam likes this.

Yep 30-06 amount of powder.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I've always been told you judge a suppressors capability by the amount of powder burned, the 6.5PRC doesnt burn that much powder to be considered a magnum.

The difference in weight between magnum and non magnum DPT is 45grams, fun fact

Also, I've spoken to OD about this exact question on a 6.5PRC. The suppressor is not warranted if you use a non mag OD suppressor on a 6.5prc

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    The difference in weight between magnum and non magnum DPT is 45grams, fun fact

Also, I've spoken to OD about this exact question on a 6.5PRC. The suppressor is not warranted if you use a non mag OD suppressor on a 6.5prc
    Ah bugger, that's an additional $300 and none in stock anywhere in the thread I need.
    Last edited by ojc2; 04-12-2022 at 09:48 AM.