Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Oceania defense suppressors

Oceania defense suppressors

Hey team. I was at the Sika Show and saw these suppressors up close at the Glacier Rifle Stand. I had a chat to Jed who from my understanding is one of the engineers at GRC. I think they supply certain parts for the OD suppressor.

I was very impressed with his rundown on the suppressor however I don't seem to hear much about them. Not many threads about them either.

Does anyone run these on a magnum? I'm looking at one for a 20" 6.5prc. Just looking for pros and cons. (One con obviously being the cost)

https://gunsnz.com/Oceania-Defense-S...roduct_id=5405

Name:  Screenshot_20221115_150343.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  1.07 MB

Yeah there are threads on here, in my opinion best suppressor you can buy in NZ, overseas people are very impressed as a number of foreign Special Forces have trialed them.

Only thing is they are a bit more expensive than other NZ made ones but on a par or cheaper than overseas top of the line ones.

Why I like them is they give your rifle back it's balance for freehand shooting.

I just run an m14 Thread Oceania Alpine 30 cal on 270, run my old black rifle 556 Samson on my 22.250. Also have a 30 cal rachet/brake one that can quickly pop on my 22 Creedmore, 6.5 Creedmore or 308.Also have a 9mm pistol one use on a glock.

Cracks me up, my 22.250 Ruger cost 700 bucks with a set of dies, sports a 9 hundy suppressor, 3-15 Vx5 and javelin bipod, great wee rifle though!

270 is using about 57 grains of Super-performance powder with the Alpine model, I reckon you would get away with it on 6.5 PRC if you want super-light and compact? If you want greater noise reduction could go up to a magnum, bit more expensive.
    Last edited by jackson21; 15-11-2022 at 04:07 PM.
    hotsoup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    270 is using about 57 grains of Super-performance powder with the Alpine model, I reckon you would get away with it on 6.5 PRC if you want super-light and compact? If you want greater noise reduction could go up to a magnum, bit more expensive.
    I'm wanting my 6.5 as light as possible yep. I'm not shooting often, I'd be lucky to take 1 shot on a trip. I was hoping to run a non magnum but thought there may be some issues with that? What issues could arise if I ran a non magnum version? @jackson21

I have an oceania defence alpine on my 30/06. I really rate it
    jackson21 and hotsoup like this.
    If my work annoys me, I cull them

Best suppressor money can buy
    jackson21 and hotsoup like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    I'm wanting my 6.5 as light as possible yep. I'm not shooting often, I'd be lucky to take 1 shot on a trip. I was hoping to run a non magnum but thought there may be some issues with that? What issues could arise if I ran a non magnum version? @jackson21
    Maybe give them a call? But my thoughts are whilst it's called a magnum if you can run cartridges with simular powder weight I wouldn't think it's an issue as surely it's same pressures etc?

I was bit nervous running my 22.250 through my 556 one but seems fine, probably put 600 rounds of 22.250 through it, probably 2500 rounds of 5.56 before that.
    hotsoup likes this.

I think when they mean Magnum it's like 7mm, 300 WinMag with large case capacity, and then they do a 338 Lap as well.
    hotsoup likes this.

Maybe give them a call? But my thoughts are whilst it's called a magnum if you can run cartridges with simular powder weight I wouldn't think it's an issue as surely it's same pressures etc?

I was bit nervous running my 22.250 through my 556 one but seems fine, probably put 600 rounds of 22.250 through it, probably 2500 rounds of 5.56 before that.
    Will do. I've tried calling a couple of times but haven't got through. Makes sense though, cheers for feedback

Will do. I've tried calling a couple of times but haven't got through. Makes sense though, cheers for feedback
    I would, but I don't want to be giving you advice above my pay grade. I was going to run it on my 6.5 x 284 which is simular to a prc but decided to just leave as was with longer barrel un-suppressed.

I would, but I don't want to be giving you advice above my pay grade. I was going to run it on my 6.5 x 284 which is simular to a prc but decided to just leave as was with longer barrel un-suppressed.
    Yep no worries. Will definitely have a chat for clarification before I bite the bullet

good units, recommend

Lighter is better

Their muzzle foward right?

Yeah they are.

Name:  Screenshot_20221115_211321.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  107.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Their muzzle foward right?
    Not all of them.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Wish they made an overbarrel suitable for a .223 with a little less length muzzle forward