Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Oceania defense suppressors

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Wish they made an overbarrel suitable for a .223 with a little less length muzzle forward
    I was told when I spoke with one of the guys a while back, they're muzzle forward because their testing showed no real benefits to an over barrel design. Had a lot more to do with baffle and internal design. I guess the flow of gasses. I don't know anything about this field so you can take this with a grain of salt. Awesome suppressors, I have 3.

Wish they made an overbarrel suitable for a .223 with a little less length muzzle forward
    That's the Alpine, Samson is smallest suppressor for 223 I've seen. ASE's were shorter but much heavier and wider.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    They did, I have 2. The first model Samson went back further than their last model. I got an original and wanted another, so Burt from OD Ltd sold me his personal one.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk
    Tommy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    They did, I have 2. The first model Samson went back further than their last model. I got an original and wanted another, so Burt from OD Ltd sold me his personal one.

Yeah my 223 one is overbarrel, but the 9mm one is muzzle forward
    Mathias likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Think mine are marked 556-82 from memory. 82mm back over barrel.

I have the OD Alpine 308 that I run on my 243, 308, 300blk it’s direct thread muzzle forward and it works great for supers

First shot pop means the second shot onward is quieter with subs so I have an dpt with extra baffles for subs use

The OD is 190grams so crazy light but yea the cost is eye watering

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    hotsoup likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joelhenton View Post
    I was told when I spoke with one of the guys a while back, they're muzzle forward because their testing showed no real benefits to an over barrel design. Had a lot more to do with baffle and internal design. I guess the flow of gasses. I don't know anything about this field so you can take this with a grain of salt. Awesome suppressors, I have 3.
    Yeah the benefit is that it's shorter, probably slightly louder but as long as it gets the SPL below the hearing safe threshold I don't care if it's as quiet as it absolutely can be - rather have 2 inches less length
    Micky Duck likes this.

Could be a 4 inch long muzzle forward for all I care, I just don't want 6 inches length! DPT mini overbarrel is less than 4" muzzle forward and gets it below hearing safe level
    hotsoup likes this.

Yeah the benefit is that it's shorter, probably slightly louder but as long as it gets the SPL below the hearing safe threshold I don't care if it's as quiet as it absolutely can be - rather have 2 inches less length
    The guys atQ basically outlined that 1” forward is the equivalent suppression of 4” over barrel behind the muzzle so from a weight point of view it makes sense to go muzzle forward

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

from what I can see looking at the different models Ive got...over barrel gives you a much larger first chamber,a lot more support if you try to bend the plurry thing between two trees or bash on rocks and bugger all else....looking at the SS blast baffle on DPT it doesnt have the slots the normal one does so it will keep much more blast/gas in the over barrel/first chamber bit.
    Ive got a waitaki muzzle forward on the wee 222 and its sound is very similar to the gunworks over barrel,its length is too but its heavier
    its all swings n roundabouts.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Not all of them.
    They are now.. all the new ones are muzzle forward.
    I cant keep up with them.. they seem to constantly be changing them and developing something "better".
    Personally I'm not a fan. They are 3-4 times the price of a good alloy over barrel, they are no quieter than any other suppressor and IMO (and Hardy's) the DPT and Hardy are quieter. They are not actually that light, titanium is a heavier material than the alloy used by dpt and Hardy and if all things were equal wit the Oceania muzzle cans eg diameter and length/internal volume etc they would actually be much heavier.
    They are strong where it counts and can cope with sustained full auto for which is why they have been tested by over seas defence agencies but that is of no use to us.
    The reason they dont make a larger over barrel unit is mostly because of the cost of printing it.
    While the tech is cool I'm not a fan of the gritty finish and the odd looking raised twist patern on the outside of the can. It just looks wrong.
    The price tag doesnt reflect a 3x better suppressor than others so I for one will continue to use DPTs and Hardies.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Caretaker
    Take 2 baffles out of a DPT ?
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Take 2 baffles out of a DPT ?
    if my memory serves me rightly @Seventenths did a speil some time back on the "mighty mouse" and he changed the number of baffles depending on where hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    They are now.. all the new ones are muzzle forward.
    I cant keep up with them.. they seem to constantly be changing them and developing something "better".
    Personally I'm not a fan. They are 3-4 times the price of a good alloy over barrel, they are no quieter than any other suppressor and IMO (and Hardy's) the DPT and Hardy are quieter. They are not actually that light, titanium is a heavier material than the alloy used by dpt and Hardy and if all things were equal wit the Oceania muzzle cans eg diameter and length/internal volume etc they would actually be much heavier.
    They are strong where it counts and can cope with sustained full auto for which is why they have been tested by over seas defence agencies but that is of no use to us.
    The reason they dont make a larger over barrel unit is mostly because of the cost of printing it.
    While the tech is cool I'm not a fan of the gritty finish and the odd looking raised twist patern on the outside of the can. It just looks wrong.
    The price tag doesnt reflect a 3x better suppressor than others so I for one will continue to use DPTs and Hardies.
    When I bought mine they were not even twice what a Hardy was, actually my first one was only a couple of hundred dollars more than a Hardy at the time as someone had used it as a demo.

Maybe they have gone up in price and Hardies down? I'm guessing you probably shoot from a bipod? If your are trying to shoot unsupported that extra weight saving not on end of barrel I find a massive difference to being able to hold steady.

the weight thing is weird.....I bought the shorter fatter spartan for the .308.... and had a DPT... the skinny spartan wins my vote as best for balance as it comes back further and the forwards bit is just about the same with all of them.