Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Oceania defense suppressors

After speaking with OD today they strongly recommended the magnum version for the 6.5PRC. A significant price increase that I can't justify. The non magnum version was tempting at 180 grams but muzzle forward is not ideal. Will stick with the DPT but remove a couple of baffels
    camo wsm, jackson21 and Micky Duck like this.

The 9mm ones shooting 147gr subs @ 950fps are just something else! I'd imagine they have a healthy export market for those. I took a look at the Swiss ones I think, forgot what they are, very nice but more expensive and quite a bit heavier to balance.

I've bought all mine when Gunsnz had sales 10% off, picked up the 556 one off them cheaper as had been demo'ed a few times.

I’m using a magnum one on my 6-5prc , ideally I thought the alpine would be fine but it wasn’t recommended. Good sound suppression and about 220 grams . I also have a hardy magnum that’s twice the weight and is over barrel. I think the OD is quieter and it recoils less. Name:  7534FAEA-9478-4AB6-824D-F81BA170A67A.jpeg
Views: 418
Size:  4.89 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if my memory serves me rightly @Seventenths did a speil some time back on the "mighty mouse" and he changed the number of baffles depending on where hunting...
    Yes, I played around with removing DPT baffles some years back & found taking one baffle out you don’t notice a change in sound but if you take out two baffles then you’ll notice a change!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    The 9mm ones shooting 147gr subs @ 950fps are just something else! I'd imagine they have a healthy export market for those. I took a look at the Swiss ones I think, forgot what they are, very nice but more expensive and quite a bit heavier to balance.

I've bought all mine when Gunsnz had sales 10% off, picked up the 556 one off them cheaper as had been demo'ed a few times.
    Yep I run a UTU 2 (rectangular) and it's surprisingly quiet with the subs. Though using it wet makes it movie quiet... seriously. Either some lube or wire pulling gel mostly gets rid of that first round pop, and doesn't tend to run out or evaporate quickly like water does.

Running it on a G17 in a KPOS Scout chassis gets filthy quick though. After 2-300 rounds my trigger pull feels doubled and starts to get fte/ftf malfunctions, as well as the trigger not resetting. I have to detail strip the pistol to scrub the carbon off trigger components.

HOWEVER the chassis adds to the unreliability even with no suppressor and I have reduced weight springs installed which is likely the issue. I imagine it's designed for factory specs. Also running cheap and nasty ammo adds to the filth.

How about we vote someone in who'll let us import semi auto pistol caliber carbines like MP5s/Scorpions, since they're fulfilling the EXACT same role as a glock in a chassis, and not have to deal with the chassis dramas.
    jackson21 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yep I run a UTU 2 (rectangular) and it's surprisingly quiet with the subs. Though using it wet makes it movie quiet... seriously. Either some lube or wire pulling gel mostly gets rid of that first round pop, and doesn't tend to run out or evaporate quickly like water does.

Running it on a G17 in a KPOS Scout chassis gets filthy quick though. After 2-300 rounds my trigger pull feels doubled and starts to get fte/ftf malfunctions, as well as the trigger not resetting. I have to detail strip the pistol to scrub the carbon off trigger components.

HOWEVER the chassis adds to the unreliability even with no suppressor and I have reduced weight springs installed which is likely the issue. I imagine it's designed for factory specs. Also running cheap and nasty ammo adds to the filth.

How about we vote someone in who'll let us import semi auto pistol caliber carbines like MP5s/Scorpions, since they're fulfilling the EXACT same role as a glock in a chassis, and not have to deal with the chassis dramas.
    Yes that would be nice, I'm a sig man so would go with Sig MPX to pair with my p320. MPX gas operated like the MP5, much nicer recoil pulse. Even wen had an Angstad arms 9mm AR it took throwing a JP bolt and buffer to make it run sweet, and strange slow recoil pulse with blowback.

Banned
    The quietest suppressor I have is actually a mono core chinese made muz forward one I was given to test by the designer. I have not heard / seen a better one and these were only $90 landed. It is not quite market ready but the pricing gives an idea of what suppressors are really worth. The mono core is actually much quieter than baffles which surprised me. The gas / smoke is trapped very well and is much slower to exit after a shot. I guess what i am trying to explain is that the gas retention is better with this monocore, possibly because it spins the gas to the outside and cycles it back directing gas flows against each other to cancel sound
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    The quietest suppressor I have is actually a mono core chinese made muz forward one I was given to test by the designer. I have not heard / seen a better one and these were only $90 landed. It is not quite market ready but the pricing gives an idea of what suppressors are really worth. The mono core is actually much quieter than baffles which surprised me. The gas / smoke is trapped very well and is much slower to exit after a shot. I guess what i am trying to explain is that the gas retention is better with this monocore, possibly because it spins the gas to the outside and cycles it back directing gas flows against each other to cancel sound
    I have heard, but not seen myself some of the European ones, think it might have been possibly an ASE run on 338 Lapua and sound reduction was incredible. Heavy and expensive though.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

One thing to consider about that suppressor is that it's extremely muzzle forward and extremely heavy if I remember right. Many suppressors would be quieter if those 2 parameters where increased. Any suppressor pushing too far past 300grams is getting to the point I'm not interested unless it could literally remove all sound (ie not possible). I think that as long as minimum suppression required is met I would consider length forward, and weight and to a lesser extent durability as the next items of concern.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    One thing to consider about that suppressor is that it's extremely muzzle forward and extremely heavy if I remember right. Many suppressors would be quieter if those 2 parameters where increased. Any suppressor pushing too far past 300grams is getting to the point I'm not interested unless it could literally remove all sound (ie not possible). I think that as long as minimum suppression required is met I would consider length forward, and weight and to a lesser extent durability as the next items of concern.
    Just measured and weighed the bastard, 285mm long x 40 x 500 grams. It is a pre production model. The interesting point for me is that the production cost + margin is only $90
    Micky Duck likes this.

if its really quiet it would still be ideal for the pest control guys working from a truck where weight doesnt matter...
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    This is right, people try and make overbarrel, but then there is not much gained by behind the barrel. The weight thing is not such a big deal if shoot from a bipod, but trying traditional shooting positions that weight on the end could cause problems with hard to stop rifle wavering all over place.

Missed getting a shot in on some decent reds years ago. Had a heavy barrel Rem 308 with MAE on the end. Thought was good suppressor. Was spring one year and grass was quite long. Spied some deer and had to get into a sitting position to get a shot in above grass, couldn't stop the rifle waving around. Didn't shoot and figured it out when got home. Tried rifle with on, with off.
    Balanced nice off, but on just kept fighting it as centre of balance had moved so far out. Changed to a DPT, wasn't as quiet but got balance back.

Got some nice Jacindabucks for the MAE when that opportunity came along.
    308 and Micky Duck like this.

Just measured and weighed the bastard, 285mm long x 40 x 500 grams. It is a pre production model. The interesting point for me is that the production cost + margin is only $90
    Is interesting but materials always been cheap labor and R and D are expensive if you make it in NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if its really quiet it would still be ideal for the pest control guys working from a truck where weight doesnt matter...
    Might considering it's over 10inchs muzzle forward and half a killo hanging of the end of a rifle even in a short 16 inch AR it's equivalent to a 26 inch barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    This is right, people try and make overbarrel, but then there is not much gained by behind the barrel. The weight thing is not such a big deal if shoot from a bipod, but trying traditional shooting positions that weight on the end could cause problems with hard to stop rifle wavering all over place.

Missed getting a shot in on some decent reds years ago. Had a heavy barrel Rem 308 with MAE on the end. Thought was good suppressor. Was spring one year and grass was quite long. Spied some deer and had to get into a sitting position to get a shot in above grass, couldn't stop the rifle waving around. Didn't shoot and figured it out when got home. Tried rifle with on, with off.
    Balanced nice off, but on just kept fighting it as centre of balance had moved so far out. Changed to a DPT, wasn't as quiet but got balance back.

Got some nice Jacindabucks for the MAE when that opportunity came along.
    The other thing people don't consider is that one factor is that actual volume added to the blast chamber by the overbarrel part is quite low as the isolation tube removes that extra volume to fit the barrel and usually its not optimized for volume more so the ability to fit a wide range of barrel contours. Plus having to add a second tube adds weight for little gain. It's a bit of a nessarry evil sometimes but it's not efficient weightwise. Could be more effective it the isolation tube was removes and rear sealed to barrel or if the iso tube size was minimized. The kimbers quite light so even a 300gram suppressor changes the feel alot.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

DPT
    If you compare anything made in China its going to be significantly cheaper, there costs/ materials/ labour/ contractors/ etc are far far lower than ours. Look at the price of a Chinese firearm and compare it to something made in Europe.

I wish it would only cost us $90 to produce a centerfire suppressor.
    Micky Duck and Fssprecision like this.