Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: One gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    I'll rent out my 7mm08 for you Brads.
    I can't believe @Dundee beat @Scouser to it but there might be something in that as an "everybody choice" needs low recoil and yet covers off smurfs - I mean, those smaller of stature and Aucklanders... Lol.

I'd reckon the 7mm rem mag would have been a good choice if you think the longer shots to be the norm with suppressor as it shoots nice and flat ( covers up for newbie fuck ups ) and manageable recoil with a good can and available in tikka and Remington clothes. And one of those leupy CDS scopes would have been on the money.

I hear Gibo has one he'll get rid of

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Mate I've hunted with 3 different groups with blasers in the last 3 weeks.
    None have impressed me at all to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Can't blame the rifle in my case. Just operator error (aka shitty shooting). Gave ol sleepy girl a fright though.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    284 should only be an option when needing more horsepower from a short action or why wouldnt you just go 280.

I would think if this is a guiding operation ( And I am in no way am trying to tell you how to run your business) a lot of your clients would be novices who would much rather be taught how to stalk into 100-200y and take a ethical shot from where they can actually see the animal if you know what I mean.

Those ready to shoot 3-4-500 yards will most likely have there own rifle set up for this already.

Something I hadn't considered but highly likely to be correct Cam.
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Where are these 400 shots at your pad bro? Nothing under 500 from Tobys hill ha ha
    It was more of a buzz to knock down all the original ranges we first saw deer at by over 50% than anything else. Considering the terrain, my vote will be for a 7-08 with some decent camo and a bit of luck in not being seen.
    We did it with a 7 month old puppy and an 8year old girl. Both first timers so it should be able to be done with most.
    BRADS, Gibo, shift14 and 1 others like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    It was more of a buzz to knock down all the original ranges we first saw deer at by over 50% than anything else. Considering the terrain, my vote will be for a 7-08 with some decent camo and a bit of luck in not being seen.
    We did it with a 7 month old puppy and an 8year old girl. Both first timers so it should be able to be done with most.
    Ha ha good shit. Me and Neckshot tried to shrink the gap on a spiker one time and got busted, would have looked like two earth balls rolling down the hill ha ha

I know Fleurtys outfit used to use a TC encore, very rugged and reliable. Being a single shot it was the safest to give to a client new to guns. Seeing the gun carried open gave the guides peace of mind. Guide always carried his own backup. They are straight stocked so a left or right handed shooter can use it. The calibre was 7-08 but anything similar will do. Having taken a few clients out on an east coast operation I can agree with VC you don't want greenhorn hunters doing big shots. Get them as close as they can, they get all excited and do dumb things. Trust me you're going to see some doozies
    Last edited by Pointer; 21-12-2015 at 07:39 PM.
    veitnamcam, R93, Munsey and 2 others like this.

R93
    You will even get some real doozies with so called "experienced"clients.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Munsey, Pengy and 2 others like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yep thteres some shockers out there, but even the best make mistakes. My point was don't let all the gun nerds on here go all frothy about some oddball calibre. Consider who is using the gun first, then what he plans to do with it. You want safe, reliable, and ambidextrous in that order. Accuracy is relevant to the people using it. Anyone who needs a loan gun will need the above traits first
    BRADS and Beaker like this.

One gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer View Post
    Yep thteres some shockers out there, but even the best make mistakes. My point was don't let all the gun nerds on here go all frothy about some oddball calibre. Consider who is using the gun first, then what he plans to do with it. You want safe, reliable, and ambidextrous in that order. Accuracy is relevant to the people using it. Anyone who needs a loan gun will need the above traits first
    100% agree.
    As VC pointed out getting as close as possible will be the key, but sometimes 300 is as close as we can get.
    Either way with 3 bookings today better get something sorted

veitnamcam, Pointer and 199p like this.

Hardly a stretch for any of the sensible commonly available cartridges. Think adequate power and little recoil. 7-08 270 etc.

Good luck in your new venture!
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by erniec View Post
    Rex Forrester used 30-06s end of story.
    ...and .243.
    BRADS likes this.
    Dan M

Oh and before I forget get good insurance and make sure your clients sign a pretty water tight waiver
    jakewire, kiwijames, BRADS and 1 others like this.

Just get a tikka in 7mm-08, that way when all us aucklanders come down we won't feel so much culture shock with all the fresh air and beer that comes in cans

Without reading all the threads I'd say .308 or something in the 7mm range.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Marlin! Wtf like buying a Lada?
    Nothing I have shot at with my Marlin poo for pee has ever walked away
    BRADS likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1