Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: One-off Firearm part Import question

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    That maybe what the law states but those of us who have "been there, done that" know thats not the way it works in practice.
    Fair enough, I’ll talk to an AO. Hopefully it’ll be a good one like the dude in Pukekohe. Top bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Best to get a permit before the bits arrive in customs, (or a confirmation in writing its not required) especially if the parts can also fit MSSA's (I know I know its not required but........)
    Police are a we bit funny about issuing retrospective permits as in they wont as far as I am aware
    He doesn't need a permit, and official Police policy is that they won't issue one.

He has it in writing. It's on the Police website and in the Arms Act.

If the package gets stopped by Customs (watch your tracking). Send the Customs Arms Officer an email (Arms.Officer@customs.govt.nz) and tell them it's for an A cat firearm and doesn't require a permit (reference the Police website). A copy(scan/photo) of your Firearm licence in the email will be helpful.

The Customs AO may ask for 'verification' that it is for an A cat firearm, which can be resolved by forwarding the email to your AO. How easy that is, varies on your AO.

NZ Customs are usually very easy to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Koshogi View Post
    He doesn't need a permit, and official Police policy is that they won't issue one.

He has it in writing. It's on the Police website and in the Arms Act.

If the package gets stopped by Customs (watch your tracking). Send the Customs Arms Officer an email (Arms.Officer@customs.govt.nz) and tell them it's for an A cat firearm and doesn't require a permit (reference the Police website). A copy(scan/photo) of your Firearm licence in the email will be helpful.

The Customs AO may ask for 'verification' that it is for an A cat firearm, which can be resolved by forwarding the email to your AO. How easy that is, varies on your AO.

NZ Customs are usually very easy to deal with.

Thanks man, that is the way I see it too. I can't see that anything I'm doing is breaking the law based on the way the rule reads. The only issue is I see is that there will likely be no US company that will be willing to send one because of that crap that Obama put in place. Touch wood I can find someone who can send one.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by omegaspeedy View Post
    Thanks man, that is the way I see it too. I can't see that anything I'm doing is breaking the law based on the way the rule reads. The only issue is I see is that there will likely be no US company that will be willing to send one because of that crap that Obama put in place. Touch wood I can find someone who can send one.
    You will not break any laws if your example is followed through.

Obama didn't put in any export controls (AFAIK).

Brownells is one the best online companies period. Dealing with them is easy and shipping us very reasonable. Shipments are guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by omegaspeedy View Post
    Obama was the best thing for US Arms manufacturers, expected bans never occurred despite mass shootings and panic buying of firearms and ammunition.
    Welcome to Sako club.