Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Opinions on bedding job

Quote Originally Posted by Grunta View Post
    UPDATE Guys,

Recieved the rifle back today. And..................not happy!! will send him an email soon.

As soon as I loosened the front action screw you could feel the action/barrel move instantly - same as the rear. Also it literally fell out of the stock with no effort whatsoever and from the research I've done it should be a nice snug fit which it isn't.

I'm not even going to bother sighting it in, as I really think it'll be a waste of time. One week before the start of my 4 weekends of enjoyment and I have no rifle that I can depend on. I guess it's time to send it to someone who really knows what they're doing.

Grunta
    Not good at all Grunta, I feel for ya mate. can you post up some picks of the 'repair' work? you would think the guy would have gone out his way to do a stellar job for you considering he fucked up so bad the last time.

I also agree with Brads, time to name the culprit so we can avoid them like the plague
    Hunting is not a hobby.....its an addiction

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Bugger. Im sure someone could lend you a stock or rifle for the roar. Worst comes to worst i could lend ya a 303

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2

Cheers for the offer VC. I'll do my prescout next week without a rifle, I can handle that (just!!), but hopefully it'll get sorted by the following weekend (easter) as that's going to be the biggy. hopefully and pun intended

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Mate that is ratshit now who did it?

Hey BRADS, totally agree and probably will but I've just sent him an email first, so I'll see how he replys.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Not good at all Grunta, I feel for ya mate. can you post up some picks of the 'repair' work? you would think the guy would have gone out his way to do a stellar job for you considering he fucked up so bad the last time.

I also agree with Brads, time to name the culprit so we can avoid them like the plague

Photos wont show the problems. It's a better looking job - no doubt but this time I don't think he's bedded it enough, even to the point I ctually though I know had a pressure point bedded rifle up the around the end of the scope.

I guess my brand new talley rings and harris bipod will have to stay in the cupboard a bit longer. lol.

Do you have a spare rifle? I'm sure if you don't someone close to you could lend you one, I could if you dont mind a 6.5x55 not pretty but good enough to a 100m.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Good one toby
    I also have a spare he can use

Toby, BRADS - bloody top blokes, cheers for the offer/s I'm hoping to have the rifle sorted by easter fingers crossed much appreciated though and awesome

if your close to me Grunta a have a rifle you can use. Now the bedding job Bedding a Rifle With MatchGrade Bedding Compound i have used it on my 264 win mag and very happy with the result Nattan explains it so well a monkey could do it. a few hours and $40 and your done a day to cure and your hunting.

Cheers mucko. Not up your way though, but thanks for the offer Nathan makes it look pretty easy and straight forward doesnt he. Apparantley it's not though

Cheers mucko. Not up your way though, but thanks for the offer Nathan makes it look pretty easy and straight forward doesnt he. Apparantley it's not though
    If in Napier can lend a 243 if you are stuck.

It really isnt that hard to do the instructions a so detailed. just make sure you have what you need before you start. afterwards you will think whats the big deal. for $40 you can afford to try.

Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    It really isnt that hard to do the instructions a so detailed. just make sure you have what you need before you start. afterwards you will think whats the big deal. for $40 you can afford to try.
    Iv tried twice and fucked it up both times, it ends up costing me twice when mitch maxberry or rod woods have to remove what Iv done and rebed
    such a simple concept, but fuck me dead I cant grasp it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    I agree with the others, you could put it back to functional with very very little work, and get it tidied up by a professional later if you wanted to, if you don't want to tackle a full bedding job. As long as its bearing firmly in the right places and relieved in the right places it should shoot ok. You dont really want to mess with it though, you should not have to. He should fix it up to and including full replacement.

I think its fine to post a name in this instance if he refuses to come to the party. No one is slagging anyone off here, and your doing the right thing at this point by giving him the chance to sort it, but alarm bells rang when I saw you sent it back to him for round three. I think he should be paying to have it done by another gunsmith. The things he has done so far are actually hard to do, and I think it may be time he accepted this is not his forte. You have every right to tell him you want it fixed, and you dont want whoever did that to it touching it again (you really dont).

If he refuses to help you out, you can tell him that photos of all the work will be posted up here, with the name of the business and you will let the general public decide if its acceptable workmanship. Im happy to tidy or lock a thread so it doesnt turn into a slag fest and get us in the shit. Really not needed, that workmanship speaks for its self.
    Hey Tussock,

Thanks for your post. I'm still in contact with him etc regarding my "unhappiness" over the job, so it would be a little harsh of me to name him until it's all solved. It's none of the big named gunsmiths out there if people are wondering so they can rest easy on that front.

I'm very thankfull to the support I've had on the forum over this problem of mine and I'm just stoked at the response from fellow forum members - it's great and astounding. Proud to be apart of a forum like this where people can help, but most o all it's the support that rocks

Cheers,
    Grant