Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Opinions on Howa Mini in .223

While we are on the subject of Howa Mini has anyone had their hands on the VTP modular chassis system?

Comments?

https://www.vtp.co.nz/product/mcs-ho...category_id=15
    Just...say...the...word

The stocks are blocky and the mags are long and the mag releases are in need of a hacksawing off but the actions are really nice and smooth up well with a bit of use. Mines buttery after working it on the couch and cleaning it regularly while doing it

I really like the mini and it’s s nice light little rifle with a trigger that can be lightened with the snip of the spring
    Iv left my trigger standard at the moment as it’s pretty good as is

They are a good for what they cost and are good fun in the excel lite chassis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mines a older 1/9 twist SS.
    I love it, it's my boat gun and often gets a bit of salt water on it but can't say I've noticed any rusting even when blood is left on it.
    It shoots 55-65gr bullets extremely accurately and should stabilise most 70gr bullets but I like the 65gr.
    Best thing I did with it was get a Jeffersons outdoors flush bottom metal and mag.
    Makes it a great little hunting rifle, can top load the mag and no stock mods required it just drops in.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Another method of dealing with the improved v.2 mag release tension is to add a simple spacer to the release catch torsion spring.

This is a small block of hard rubber matting inserted between the long spring leg that rests against the bottom “metal” in front of the catch. It lifts the spring leg, therefore increasing the twist, and thereby increasing the stored mechanical energy in the spring. This make the “press” required on the catch that much greater. If you don’t have a collection of stronger torsion springs that will fit the magazine catch then this is a very easy modification that makes an accidental mag release considerably less likely.

Now when you fit the magazine it makes a very satisfying and confidence inspiring CLACK rather than the previously rather timid click…

veitnamcam, GWH, Dama dama and 1 others like this.
    Just...say...the...word

I brought a Howa mini.223 off @Dreamer came with a carbon stock and a floor plate top feed magazine.
    I really love the little rifle it shoots 1)2" groups or even better and is so light to carry.
    It's a 1-8 twist so I shoot 69 grn pills barrel is cut to 20" and is a standard blued barrel and I have no problem with rust.
    The balance point is in front of the magazine so I'm sure the standard mag would be fine as the new models have a different release lever.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Dreamer and caberslash like this.

And… add two spring washers sized to perfectly fit the action screw holes in the plastic bottom metal.

This means that you are torquing the action screws against metal, and the lack of metal-on-plastic twist under tension on the plastic surface means that you don’t indent the plastic and eventually crack it. The washers need to be quite a tight fit in the factory holes so they don’t turn.

Bagheera and Micky Duck like this.
    Just...say...the...word

One thing to watch is that the floor plate can crack near the rear action screw hole if over torqued or just randomly. I have done similar with putting a spacer in beside the spring to increase tension with the V2 catch. Great wee rifles I haven't pushed for super accuarcy but my .223 puts Belmont 55gr and fiocchi 55gr at an inch at 100
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    I brought a Howa mini.223 off @Dreamer came with a carbon stock and a floor plate top feed magazine.
    I really love the little rifle it shoots 1)2" groups or even better and is so light to carry.
    It's a 1-8 twist so I shoot 69 grn pills barrel is cut to 20" and is a standard blued barrel and I have no problem with rust.
    The balance point is in front of the magazine so I'm sure the standard mag would be fine as the new models have a different release lever.

My thoughts at the moment are I should of kept that one and sold the vixen…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    caberslash likes this.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    My thoughts at the moment are I should of kept that one and sold the vixen…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    She's a honey of a rifle alright.

GWH
    They can be made into neat little rifles, @Dreamers CF stocked flush floor plate version is the perfect version i think.

Ive had a mini in 6.5G as i always wanted to play with that cartridge but it was a bit anemic for most of my hunting so i moved it on, id like to have another mini but in something like 6 PPC/6 ARC to use as a light weight walk around LR varminter/goat gun.
    caberslash likes this.

Buy one, you won't regret it, nice to carry, not fussy at all with projectiles ranging from 60 -75gr. Easily sub moa and not hard to get 1/2moa. Very effective with the 75gr eldm's.
    bumblefoot likes this.

Got one with a excl lite chassis and gunworks suppressor shoots 1/2moa all day with 55grn fiocchi hares out to 300 with tge drop down recticle easy as, bushnell Ar223 scope wallabys out to 500 dialing for wind shot pigs and deer at 40-200m and had them run off and die 80m or so away