Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Over barrel silincer options and consideration

Over barrel silincer options and consideration

Looking for a silencer for a 6.5 PRC. This a hunting rifle and would like to keep it compact. What would you guys recommend and what should I take into consideration when buying?

North island DPT ...south island Gunworks...job done.
    nothing else to consider...dont shorten barrel any more than absolutely have to...keep your velocity AND your hearing.
    57jl, Nathanfish and Happy Jack like this.

northdude
    everyone has their personal preferences. Me i like mae they are bullet proof a lot of pussys err guys don't like them as they are on the heavy side but the bonus is if you run out of ammo you can use it as a club . Most people are going to tell you to get a dpt...

can of worms about to open.
    Hi Longbow,
    this is a topic that gets done regularly, many guys can be quite passionate about their favourite brand.
    Use the search function on the forum.

My summary is you are playing off price vs effectiveness vs strength and size.
    Going back some years when silencers were new there were some failures but in recent time most failures have a logical explanation.

Some things to note, if you run your scope on low power you will see it in the scope, accept that and get over it, some can't.
    The shortest overbarrel silencers still add 80-100mm.
    Z

@ZQLewis, thanks. Had quick read through the ones I could find. I suppose this is like the best all round cartridge conversation. You are never going to get everyone to agree, but considering and incorporating the supporting reasoning into your understanding do help in my opinion. For instance like @northdude comment about MAE when you run out of ammo. I don’t have a NF on the rifle so the MAE is worth considering for that reason .
    davhope likes this.

one of the big two magazines did a head to head on suppressors about 2 years ago......pretty good reading .

A standard DPT needs quite a few more baffles to get the noise level down to Gunworks levels. People like the DPT 'cause its compact......but ya don't get something for nothing, and if you want to look after your hearing just accept you need a bigger sound sucker upperer hanging off your barrel.
    Micky Duck and davetapson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    one of the big two magazines did a head to head on suppressors about 2 years ago......pretty good reading .
    Was this a independent test?

Do I have to go with a magnum silencer?

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow View Post
    Was this a independent test?

Do I have to go with a magnum silencer?
    pretty much I believe it was.....

It was an independent test. Cannot remember who 'won't but dpt did well from memory. Had gunworks, dpt and hardy now. All work great just would stick with GW or DPT based on pricing
    Micky Duck likes this.

https://d347awuzx0kdse.cloudfront.ne...sor%20TEST.pdf
    This should link u to the test.
    Note some controvicy around it but its a place to start.
    Dean Maisey has a very Good FAQ section on his kaimai supressor site.
    He also had some issues with the test results but in the end the test was done with the equipment that was available in the country at the time.

Several Brands have since added new designs as this was a few years back.

Nb for transparency I have had Hardy gen V (6mm) & gen VI (35cal) compacts and a gen V stealth 5.56 & 6mm. And would buy again.
    Z

All depends on length of barrel, calibre * sorry no idea about 6.5 prc* and how much extra weight forward vs db. reduction. Also budget/practicality.

I can only speak for the DPT and the Gunworks I have owned.

Had an issue with the DPT originally as it was supplied as part of a package. Very short barrel relative to velocity and it got nailed really fast.

BUT I was also unaware of the stainless baffle option, which should have been part of the package to begin with based on the rifle. Yeah I know "package".

Contacted DPT and the customer service was better than usually can be expected, exceptional to be honest.
    Total gain in weight for the SS baffle? About a quarter of the shit you always regret you didn't have before going out.

It's now had a couple hundy rounds through it and it looks mint after the occasional clean up.

The Gunworks one was a 50mm magnum .30 deal, VERY quiet but super heavy and in my particular application wasn't really worth keeping. Way too muzzle heavy.

Went to a GC on the pay it forward page.

Never owned a Hardy but have heard a few hunting partners using them... again not much really in it for "felt noise".
    I'm sure a decibel meter would be able to give imperical figures but I don't think my hearing can.

If you rich look into the ASE etc stuff but ultimately we are talking about a difference of maybe +/- 8 to 10 db max difference across most of the major players.

Sacrifice weight for reduction of db or sacrifice reduction of db for weight ultimately. There is no free lunch.

Although I am a broke ass so can't comment on the 1k plus titanium, blessed by Jesus himself models.

Totally non-scientific opinion only.
    Last edited by Preacher; 24-05-2021 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Failed to see calibre in OP post. Added *

If you're just gonna be firing one or two shots at a time, yeah, DPT. Though I agree they normally need an extra baffle or two to drop the sound to the point you'd be happy to take a couple shots without ear pro. So not particularly compact by the time that's added.

Gunworks you can get the 50mm (with or without an SS baffle too) and get more volume for the same length. Very quiet although heavier.

Have also had a Greystone and will be getting another soon hopefully. Built like tanks. Probably not quite as quiet gram for gram as the others but they can soak up lots of heat which is good for longer strings. Probably not what you'll be doing with a 6.5 PRC hunting rifle.
    Preacher likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

“ +/- 8 to 10 db max difference across most of the major players”
    Bro 10db is perceived as twice as loud, that’s huge

Also bear in mind regarding that magazine comparison test.

Quite a few manufacturers wouldn't participate as the sound measuring device(cant remember its name) wasn't a independent one.

The one supplied was from one of the actual brands in the test.

So I would discount that article largely due to those reasons.

I'd discuss you're plans for said rifle with the outfit you end up going with and they will recommend a barrel length etc based on calibre and how far you want to shoot to on animals etc