Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By country cuts
  • 1 Post By Frogfeatures
  • 1 Post By Cartman
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Ftx325

Thread: over-barrel suppressor for 22mag ??

over-barrel suppressor for 22mag ??

had the 22 mag out again for a play yesterday and had a couple of comments about the noise .... even though it currently is wearing a muzzle forward can (dpt) for 22wmr .
    The missus had already said it seems very loud the last time out , which I thought myself , but put it down to being under tree cover .
    this time we were out in the open and it still seemed overly loud for a rimfire .
    Now ,at this point, I would go so far as to say it seems louder than my old AR .223 with over barrel can . And definitely considerably louder than my papoose 22lr with gunworks 22 muzzle forward can also . Tried to fit that can to 22mag for comparison but wrong thread .
    I understand the current logic says muzzle forward better than over the top .... twice more effective baffling out front than out back of muzzle , but not to keen on adding more baffles out front being a hunting rifle .
    The can is not very big or a very large diameter . I was thinking I may be better picking up a 223 overbarrel can , extra diameter and volume , and running one of those instead .
    The rifle is wearing a heavy carbon barrel and the wee muzzle forward looks a bit funny as well as it is not a lot bigger than the barrel .... (not that that really matters at the end of the day......)

So has anyone perhaps tried a 22 mag with overbarrel suppressor or all just run the muzzle forward jobs ?
    if so did it make much difference ?

And let me just make it clear I am not knocking the performance of DPT suppressors - we currently use 4 of them and are my preferred brand .
    It , and others advertised for 22mag , just seem a little small in volume and perhaps not as effective as could be because of it - put size and weight over sound reduction maybe or decided larger size not worth it for minimal extra sound reduction ??

any thoughts would be appreciated ....
    born to hunt - forced to work

Had a hardy over barrel on a cz512 22 mag and apart from making the rifle a bit shorter over all there wasn't much noticeable difference between it and my muzzle forward sonic
    Ftx325 likes this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Logic would say a centrefire over barrel in 223 would be more efficient
    I tried my gun works over barrel from my 223 on my 22, just for laughs, in place of its Hardy can.
    It was noticeably quieter, but then it should be, lot more volume ��
    Ftx325 likes this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Yeah I've done it . Ran my 223 dpt with stainless blast baffle on my 22 mag and it took it down to suppressed 22lr levels (supersonic obviously).

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Ftx325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Yeah I've done it . Ran my 223 dpt with stainless blast baffle on my 22 mag and it took it down to suppressed 22lr levels (supersonic obviously).

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Yes supersonic obviously . Put a few subs through it and all you can hear is the action so suppressor obviously working but was expecting, perhaps wrongly, 22lr sound levels from this suppressor as it does have 2 xtra baffles over 22lr version.
    Again not knocking the suppressor or brand in any way or form , just over expectations from me but don't want to spend the money on a new o/barrel to find no improvement so really appreciating the input.

you hit nail on head...its the supersonic crack you hearing,subsonic rounds if you want it really quiet....you can guarantee its quieter with it on than off....I tried long 223 can on 22lr and with supers I still heard the crack...people a little way away hardly heard a thing.
    Ftx325 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    you hit nail on head...its the supersonic crack you hearing,subsonic rounds if you want it really quiet....you can guarantee its quieter with it on than off....I tried long 223 can on 22lr and with supers I still heard the crack...people a little way away hardly heard a thing.
    for sure MD there is the sonic crack but still hear the bang also . As I mentioned it is definitely significantly louder than my suppressed 22 lr with high velocity rounds on board side by side .
    I am probably just expecting to much from the suppressor fitted but do still get the impression a larger overbarrel should be noticeably quieter , I think the one fitted is just a little short on volume .
    in the weekend while I was having a play the missus was a good 150m-200m away on the other side of a stand of pines out of my vision , the track snakes around , and said she could here me plain as day .
    That said I am not sure it would be a big enough difference to justify the extra expense .... hence hoping others might shine some light on this theory and going by some replies I am thinking it might be worth a try . The only question that remains is which child do I sell to pay for it .....
    Last edited by Ftx325; 24-02-2022 at 05:18 PM.

OK so I will take a guess here and say it is a 1;20 thread on barrel???
    now are any of your bigger rifle cans 1;20 thread too????
    if so try it and see,that will answer your question in a heartbeat.
    I HAD suppressed .22lr and still have suppressor in cupboard,but after using subsonic rounds in bare barrel...decided the difference wasnt huge and the bare barrel quiet enough for me to be happy using it....
    Ftx325 likes this.

Just a quick update for anyone interested .
    Had a problem finding much to fit the rifle due to a barrel diameter of 23.5 mm . Most won't fit over either 19mm or 22.5 was about the biggest . Pretty much gave up on idea then stumbled over a hushpower magnum suppressor for 22 cal center fire rifles and in the correct thread too .
    And it actually fits over the barrel ... Good to go .
    So just been out for a quick shot and definitely quieter . It is now just making the crack and has completely dropped the background bang out that you can still hear on other can . Not a huge difference ,as I expected, but enough to notice a clear difference.
    The suppressor has also had no noticable effect on accuracy.
    Overkill maybe as far as size goes but surprisingly only feels around 100grams heavier than the muzzle forward .
    So just have to machine the bush and job done ,.happy camper....
    Frogfeatures and Micky Duck like this.