Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Moutere
  • 1 Post By SiB

Thread: Suppressor for a .22Mag

Suppressor for a .22Mag

After lockdown is over, i have a Ruger
    22mag heading my way. It's currently fitted with a Gunworks .22mag suppressor. The current owner said it has helped a bit, but the 30gr vmax as still very loud. Is this to be expected from a suppressed .22mag? Or should i possibly look at putting a .223(larger) can on the end?

It's likely just the sonic crack, can't do anything in terms of suppressing that.
    Jamesyd and mimms2 like this.

My old man has a 17HMR, which would be similar in terms of noise as a 22 mag. After a couple of years of using it, he had a Gunworks can fitted, while I can't compare it to other models, I can say it bought noise level down significantly. It was unpleasant prior.
    If your new rifle is fitted with a Gunworks, that will do you nicely. Buying a different model may or may not make much of a change.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

you can only suppress muzzle blast on ammo above mach 1, the rest of the noise is the projectile blasting thru the sound barrier. gunworks suppressor should do the job nicely but you will never get over the supersonic "crack"

Gone but not forgotten
    i had a gunworks 22 mag can the short time i had a 22mag was still cracky which ya not gonna get away from mine was a semi so was abit louder possibly

I'd try the existing suppressor before rushing off to buy another one. It's unlikely that another suppressor will make a big difference.

DPT you can keep adding baffles,2 more on my .22lr made quite a difference.

SiB
    Keep what you’ve got and don’t bother spending any extra $. The gun works .22mag suppressor works just fine at bringing your rifle down to being an acoustically comfortable rifle to shoot. Try a couple of shots without whenever you need reminding

I’ve used .22mag extensively on hares and bunnies, my gunworks suppressor certainly hinders them from easily/quickly recognising where the shot came from (if I’m cautious about their sight- lines)
    Jamesyd likes this.

I have a waitaki suppressor on my 22mag, I use the vmaxx ammo and it's still loud. About 22lr volume without a can.
    Take the can off and have a shot and you'll soon put it back on once you realise how obnoxious it is without it.
    Wouldn't worry about spending more on a bigger can if it was me.

Sent from my SM-A505GN using Tapatalk

I've used my 30 cal on a 22 mag as it had the same thread seemed much more efficent than the one it came with. Still the supersonic crack but what suprised me was you seemed to only hear it as a bounce from the target.

If you want to keep it quite use 22mg subs , will have to resight for drop .